Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: An introduction to Snus! **READ HERE FIRST IF YOU ARE NEW TO SNUS **

Supreme Overlord of these Realms

An introduction to Snus! **READ HERE FIRST IF YOU ARE NEW TO SNUS **

I have promised this guide/introduction for quite some time but was too busy to complete it so without further delay, here it is!

* To non Tobacco users

If you are not already a consumer of tobacco or tobacco products (unlikely given the nature of the forum) I do NOT suggest the uptake of this product. While all current health reports and investigations suggest Snus is a much healthier method of Tobacco intake it is still an addictive substance. If you still have the urge to try it please bear in mind their are non nicotine varieties of Snus available!

* Snus? What the hell are you talking about Jato you crazy diamond? Can I vape it?

Snus(pronounced “snoose”) is a tobacco product that produced, manafactured and consumed primarily Nordic countries (i.e. Sweden). It is a moist powder that is placed under the lip where the nicotine is absorbed through the gums. It can either be be used loose or portioned(in small teabag like bags). Snus is not to be confused with the American product "dip".

The two are entirely different products with the only similarity being the method of intake.

Wikipedia for those that are looking for further information:

Snus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Health and Snus!

There is the obvious health benefit of switching to snus from cigarettes, however like any tobacco product, there is the risk of oral cancer. However:

Kenneth Warner, director of the University of Michigan Tobacco Research Network posted:
    "The Swedish government has studied this stuff to death, and to date, there is no compelling evidence that it has any adverse health consequences. ... Whatever they eventually find out, it is dramatically less dangerous than smoking."
    Another plus is that in Sweden tobacco manufactures must display on the can the ingredients used in the product. This website has the ingredients in English for many snus products.

Oral use of Swedish moist snuff (snus) and risk for cancer of the mouth, lung, and pancreas in male construction workers: a retrospective cohort study posted:
    Use of Swedish snus should be added to the list of tentative risk factors for pancreatic cancer. We were unable to confirm any excess of oral or lung cancer in snus users.
    * Types of Snus

There are two *primary* types of snus with a number of sub-types designed for particular tastes.

* Portion Snus

Portioned comes in 3 sizes: Mini, normal/large, and maxi and 2 types: original and white.

Original: Comes moist in the tin
    White: Comes as a dry pouch with moist tobacco in the inside. Below I have provided some examples:

1. White Portion, Large. Brand : Goteborgs pineapplepineapplepineapplepineapple (I cant do the little accents)

* Side view:

* Top down:

* Contents:

2. Loose. Brand: Ettan

* Side view:

* Top down:

* Contents / Prepared "pinch" or "portion"

3. Original Portion. Brand: Skruf

* Side/Topdown:

* Contents:

They are the main varieties I have posted above. In between you have the differently sized pouches etc etc. There are also tons of different flavours to try. Menthol, mint, chocolate, bergamot, berry, citrus etc.

Im sold Jato you clever son of a gun! Where do I buy?

Well seeing as this is not sweden your only option is to buy online. The four primary online stores most people seem to go with are:

Buy Snus, Order Swedish snus online world wide - BuySnus.com (I myself place all my orders with these guys. Good pricing, constant promotions and they specifically split up packages for Australian users)

As a favor if you buy rolls from buysnus could you guys list me as a referrer if given the chance? Username: rcdarkangel

It gives me points towards my own rolls! Id be grateful.

northerner.com (Ive placed an order with these guys before, had no issues but prefer the above)
    Svensktsnus.se - Swedish Snus
    Northerner. Buy Swedish Snus & American Snuff Online. The #1 Smokeless Tobacco Store on Internet !

Jato
    Last edited by JatoOspry; 27-02-14 at 08:20 PM.
    Domo, Rhojin, lou and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Heading to Sweden in June - Ill be on the look out for this, purely for the novelty of it all. Thank you for the write up.
    Noe, Rhojin and lou like this.
    Last cigarette: March 14th, 2010 - Started Vaping Feb, 2010.

"Praise the God of all. Drink the wine. And let the world be the world"

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Heading to Sweden in June - Ill be on the look out for this, purely for the novelty of it all. Thank you for the write up.
    Just don't try to bring too much back, unless you like being taxed for salt water, since it's 50% moisture & you'll be paying duty on that too.
    I think customs allows 50gm of tobacco (it might have changed when they changed the 1carton of cancer sticks to 2 packs), which would be 1 can of loose or 2 cans of portions.
    Captain and lou like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Just don't try to bring too much back, unless you like being taxed for salt water, since it's 50% moisture & you'll be paying duty on that too.
    I think customs allows 50gm of tobacco (it might have changed when they changed the 1carton of cancer sticks to 2 packs), which would be 1 can of loose or 2 cans of portions.
    I dont even think my wife would let me buy this, but thank you for the tips. I wander what the chances of one of her relatives over there being a snus user.
    Last cigarette: March 14th, 2010 - Started Vaping Feb, 2010.

"Praise the God of all. Drink the wine. And let the world be the world"

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I dont even think my wife would let me buy this, but thank you for the tips. I wander what the chances of one of her relatives over there being a snus user.
    If she has more than 3 male relatives living over there there is an almost 100% chance one of them will use snus.
    Captain likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vape88 View Post
    Hi any one know anything about EH pro kayfun lite plus?
    mate, seriously? can you start a thread or use search ?

sorry mate, but this is the snus thread
    Rhojin likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    mate, seriously? can you start a thread or use search ?

sorry mate, but this is the snus thread
    I concur
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I thought SNUS was smokeless tobacco from using an electronic vapourizer
    does anybody even do that?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice Admiral Bone to Pick View Post
    I thought SNUS was smokeless tobacco from using an electronic vapourizer
    does anybody even do that?
    Snus is taken orally, you are thinking of "heat not burn" tobacco vaporisers. They've been around for a while but BT is now having a big swing at it with a few branded devices now on the market. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-burn-shortage

It's more likely to be popular in countries that restrict or ban vaping with nicotine, for several reasons: BT has the money to lobby for heat-not-burn to be accepted as harm reduction, it's more likely to be seen by smokers as a viable alternative (familiar branding and consumable product), and governments are more likely to accept it because it maintains the tobacco revenue stream.

It's possibly a bad idea for a few reasons. BT are still able to put any additives in it they wish including using ammonia treatments and other additives to make it more addictive. It also contains whole tobacco alkaloids which makes it more addictive. It's undoubtedly safer than smoking though, so I wouldn't discourage any smoker from making the switch. As vapers we tend to be averse to filling their (and governments) pockets in return for their crap products. Strange that heat-not-burn has been given a new lease on life because of vaping.

... and back to snus: it's a treated product that has much less nitrosomine and is therefore a much lower cancer risk - as close to zero extra risk for mouth, throat and other cancers as far as we can see - that's from data from decades of snus use in Sweden. Since it's not a combustible the risk of Cardio and lung diseases is also zero. Making it unavailable in any country but Sweden is a bigger travesty than restricting vaping. If Snus had been available in Australia decades ago there's a chance that members of my family would still be alive now.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 23-04-17 at 06:02 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Does anybody know the importation tax for snus or if it can be snuck in tax free with a limit?
    I'm interested in it but can find barely any info regarding importing it to Aus.
    Cheers

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast