Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Snus news :)

AVF Regular
    Snus is a spitless chewing tobacco so no need for a mud jug. Actually snus is a lot less messier than nasal snuff if using portion snus. In my opinion of course.

The reason it was all banned was because of misinformation and once it was gone it wasn't and ain't coming back. The reason for the ban is in the sticky if interested Snus history in Australia
    Last edited by Twistie; 20-12-16 at 04:03 PM.

AVF Regular
    Not to contradict the sticky or anything which is useful - but this from S. chimpy who was involved in banning snus - summed up in the first couple of paragraphs

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f4d...9e4fa20528.pdf

and this by Carl Philips

.....that the difference in social attitudes and outcomes, regarding e-cigarettes versus smokeless tobacco, is almost entirely a matter of path dependence. That is, the success of anti-THR efforts depended on what established consumption based they were dealing with. In cultures (or, more importantly, jurisdictions) where smokeless tobacco use was still well-established when the tobacco control monster seized power, they could not eliminate smokeless tobacco any more than they could eliminate smoking. But where smoking had crowded out smokeless tobacco use almost completely, or it had never been popular, it was possible for them to ban it. Where use was part of the dominant culture (Scandinavia) it was also impossible to trick everyone into believing using it posed measurable health risk. In cultures where use was concentrated in a disempowered minority that is scorned by the dominant culture (North America), it was possible to vilify it though not stop it.

https://antithrlies.com/2016/06/03/understanding-ecig-politics-all-comes-back-to-snus/

Essentially we are seeing now a repeat of snus politics in the form of vaping politics... *shrug
    stylemessiah and flyingfox12 like this.
    NNA AU and general vape advocacy in Australia summed up-
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...
    Secrecy for the greater good... Enemies are everywhere

"If you see something ...Say say nothing...
    Then drink to forget ..."
    One of us... one of us...one of us....

AVF Regular
    FDA decided not to decide whether snus can be marketed as the first safer-than-cigarettes product.

Safer Alternative to Smoking Can’t Call Itself a Safer Alternative to Smoking - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Agency tells Swedish Match to amend its requests on warning labels

FDA Sends Maker of Snus Oral Tobacco Back to Drawing Board on Health Claims - WSJ

FDA gives partial ruling on snus
    FDA Gives Partial Ruling to Swedish Match | CSP Daily News

FDA Gives Partial Ruling to Swedish Match

flyingfox12 likes this.
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...

AVF Regular
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 22-12-16 at 02:21 AM.
    flyingfox12 likes this.

AVF Regular
    PMSL- well in a latest smokeless tobacco study...

Being a US firefighter is actually considerd a risk factor for smokeless tobacco use... (Lol nope I am not kidding!)

"CONCLUSIONS:

The exceptionally high prevalence of SLT use overall and late initiation in the fire service suggest that joining the fire service in the United States is a risk factor for SLT use."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27940900

The study made no mention of the risk factors that fire fighters face on a regular basis- like inhaling crap or getting burned from house fires, bush fires and other... sheesh!
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    PMSL- well in a latest smokeless tobacco study...

Being a US firefighter is actually considerd a risk factor for smokeless tobacco use... (Lol nope I am not kidding!)

"CONCLUSIONS:

The exceptionally high prevalence of SLT use overall and late initiation in the fire service suggest that joining the fire service in the United States is a risk factor for SLT use."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27940900

The study made no mention of the risk factors that fire fighters face on a regular basis- like inhaling crap or getting burned from house fires, bush fires and other... sheesh!
    The study also does not mention smoking rates on *entering* the fire service or uptake of smoking while in the fire service. That's where the meat and potatoes are.

Smoking is obviously quite high in an occupation that can be extremely stressful and emotionally challenging, plus fire fighters tend to spend long shifts waiting around as well (day shifts spend their time doing maintenance/training etc, night shifts can not). High smoking rates have historically been the norm.

Most fire departments now have standards for physical fitness and stamina. This is because being unfit can jeopardise your life in strenuous situations where high performance maybe required. Fire fighters are being pressured to give up smoking so of course most of them are turning to things like smokeless tobaccos.

If the silly idiots were really serious about harm reduction they'd be recommending vaping... of course...

Quite or die, or lose your job...
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Well vaping or snus is still better than smoking - both with thier pros and cons where fitness etc is concerned

but even smoking put in its proper context with only 20% likely to develop the worst symptoms without understanding why those 20% will develop symptoms- makes me wonder why all the interfering policies around harm reduction ?

Makes no sense to me - perhaps I am old

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The study also does not mention smoking rates on *entering* the fire service or uptake of smoking while in the fire service. That's where the meat and potatoes are.

Smoking is obviously quite high in an occupation that can be extremely stressful and emotionally challenging, plus fire fighters tend to spend long shifts waiting around as well (day shifts spend their time doing maintenance/training etc, night shifts can not). High smoking rates have historically been the norm.

Most fire departments now have standards for physical fitness and stamina. This is because being unfit can jeopardise your life in strenuous situations where high performance maybe required. Fire fighters are being pressured to give up smoking so of course most of them are turning to things like smokeless tobaccos.

If the silly idiots were really serious about harm reduction they'd be recommending vaping... of course...

Quite or die, or lose your job...

AVF Regular
    India (its not quite snus- but their history with this stuff goes way back before snus although unlike swedish snus I dont know much about the India stuff so posting more as a curiosity in this case rather than any endorsement of harm reduction )

Govt. re-examining ban on chewing tobacco
    Govt. re-examining ban on chewing tobacco - Today's Paper - The Hindu
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 01-01-17 at 04:57 PM.

AVF Regular
    Gutka is a preparation of betel nuts and tobacco designed to be chewed. It originated in the Indian Subcontinent, where its consumption is widespread today, and spread from there to areas with a large Indian population. Like other tobacco products, gutka is potentially addictive and cancerous, and in India, some moves have been made to attempt to restrict its availability to address health concerns.

In addition to betel nuts and tobacco, gutka also includes an extract of acacia called catechu, and slaked lime, which is designed to catalyze a chemical reaction when gutku is chewed, releasing alkaloids in the blend to make it more powerful. It is also usually blended with spices and seasonings, which can make it sour, hot, or sweet. Sometimes, traditional Ayurvedic herbs are used to give gutka an illusion of respectability, and sweet flavorings are often designed to appeal specifically to children.

Classically, gutka comes in the form of a loose powder that is inserted into the mouth, chewed, and eventually spat out. Like other betel nut chews, it is highly staining, leaving a characteristic reddish to orange stain on the lips, tongue, and teeth, and it also stains the streets and sidewalks when people spit it out. Gutka is also extremely addictive, and thanks to the tobacco content, it can contribute to the development of oral and throat cancers.

It is popular also in Papua New Guinea, yes it is very carcinogenic.

Pan Masala is also very similar and more about this can be found here.

I for one will not use snuss but stick to snuff. As I do not carry a spitoon with me and do not consider it appropriate or cool to spit in public, I am a snuff user and its more easier to use and one can blow ones nose into a handkerchief or tissue which can then be washed or disposed off.
    Lest in self defence it be,
    Harm you none,
    So may it be!

AVF Regular
    Thanks flyingfox kinda what I thought and why was careful - but then I thought again because they are also talking harm reduction - I was wondering perhaps if they were talking about this stuff which I had seen from india a while ago as well- apparently also popular? Snus, Snuff, Chaini Khaini, Smokeless Tobacco, Chewing Tobacco

Curious - but as I said I really dont know enough about either to comment
    flyingfox12 likes this.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast