Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Making Snus

Super Moderator
    Anything above 65C should kill all microbes
    Started vaping 28th October 2011

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

AVF Regular
    Thanks gtadmin. I was aiming for something between 70 to 80 deg c for a few days next time.
    Rhojin likes this.

Super Moderator
    That should do it
    Rhojin likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

Please read these rules

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistie View Post
    ... Next time I'll add the sodium carbonate in the last cook and I might add a bit more salt. I may even try and get some potassium carbonate to use instead of sodium carbonate

Not sure how effective potassium carbonate will be, using sodium carbonate mixed with tobacco is the first step in a (home) WTA extraction.
    Last edited by gtadmin; 07-03-16 at 10:44 PM.

Please read these rules

AVF Regular
    I think potassium carbonate is just effective as sodium carbonate. The dosage could be different but I think it is quite caustic. I was looking for Lye water on the internet which contains potassium carbonate but apparently it has been pulled from the market because it was bottled in containers that children might think were something good to drink. It would cause caustic burns if drank. Maybe it is still available in some ethnic stores under the counter perhaps.

Another alkalizing agent to use would be Ammonium carbonate (bakers ammonia). Both of these aren't as readily available as sodium carbonate, which supermarkets stock as washing soda but the Melbourne Food Depot has some potassium carbonate. They also have a number of preservatives one could use as mold inhibitors, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate or what I have Calcium Propionate. I figured calcium propionate was best since it doesn't require an acidic environment which I think sodium benzoate does, plus benzoate doesn't sound very good hehe. Ebay has them for cheaper though.
    gtadmin and Rhojin like this.

AVF Regular
    Well my diy snus has been maturing in the fridge for a couple of weeks and is pretty much ready to go. Weighed in at around half a kilo. Tobacco seemed to absorb a fair amount of water.

I loaded another 40g into my sample tin and took a click in my 5ml ice tool for a final tasting. What can I say it tastes like snus

Essentially a pure tobacco flavour. It does have a rather cooked flavour, sometimes a faint burnt taste comes through which is probably from caramelizing of the natural sugars, maybe from when it hit higher temps than I wanted during the cook. The initial chocolate and licorice notes aren't really present anymore. It has a slight sour note and can get a little bitter after a while. Maybe after some more maturing it'll mellow some more.

Nicotine is about average, although it does seem to take longer for the nic to leech out in my mind. It doesn't seem to hit as quick as store bought. The grind could be a little coarser but it stays put and doesn't fall apart easily unless I hammer it with my tongue to extract more goodness.

I will try another batch in the future. I scored a bag of Rustica snuff today in the mail which I might use with some American Spirit to see how it works as a snus. I noticed American Spirit is available in 150g tins O/S, might be worth trying to nab a tin.
    gtadmin likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hello.

My name is David and I recently joined this forum, I am Swedish and have used snus for at least 15 years and I would just like to add two things.
    Although I have quite severe ADD so I have not read this hole thread, but I thought I would just throw in a couple of thoughts and maybe it can be of use to someone.

But the first thing is that perhaps one should make small batches to try out different amounts of sodium carbonate since that will really matter a hole lot, depending on what you want to get from the tobacco,or put another way how much nicotine do you want. I don't actually know if the amount of nicotine increases but I think that more nicotine can be extracted from the snus, but also the taste and over all feel gets stronger.

I assume you already know about the two "format" of snus, one called "portion snus" which is small bags filled with snus, or "lös snus"(lose snus) which is without the small bags and you form it in your hand into a ball or use a tool to compress it into some weird shape.

Why I bring that up is because making the tobacco into a powder/flower isn't the optimum way in my opinion. I would not do it in powder form which ever way I would consume it(that is not saying that I haven't made it in powder form many times) but especially if you are going to use the snus without a bag then IMO you would get far greater results by mixing powdered tobacco with a much grainier or rougher form of the tobacco. This makes the consistency much more suitable for snus. Or perhaps one should mill it until all of it is between fine powder and rough grains...

And lastly, depending upon how you are going to bake the snus. Some people just get tobacco and mix in salt and sodium carbonate and then let it sit for some time and call it done, I do not agree with that at all.
    Just to add that after having tried many flavour concentrates added to the tobacco I came to the conclusion that pure tobacco is the way to go,it tastes good without anything added flavour wise though that is very subjective.
    Again in my opinion you get better result the longer you let the snus bake in the own. I don't remember the temperature used but I think it was 75degC(between 60 and 75degC I'm sure), you can bake it for 24 hours and it will be better than not baking it,but the best batches I made had been in the own for at least 120 hours, and I experienced that it really does matter how long it is baked for.

About my advice not to use only powdered tobacco, I didn't mean to say that the results won't be great if only powdered tobacco is used. I have used only powdered tobacco many times and it turned out great. But the difference is almost entirely in the consistency and formability of the snus. Taste is the same and maybe it is a little stronger in it's powdered form.

By the way, is home made the only snus you have access to or can you get hold of great old traditional Swedish brands such as "General" or "Grov"?

Regards
    Cath Mort, fabricator4 and DogMan like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by David_ View Post
    Hello.

My name is David and I recently joined this forum, I am Swedish and have used snus for at least 15 years and I would just like to add two things.
    Although I have quite severe ADD so I have not read this hole thread, but I thought I would just throw in a couple of thoughts and maybe it can be of use to someone.

But the first thing is that perhaps one should make small batches to try out different amounts of sodium carbonate since that will really matter a hole lot, depending on what you want to get from the tobacco,or put another way how much nicotine do you want. I don't actually know if the amount of nicotine increases but I think that more nicotine can be extracted from the snus, but also the taste and over all feel gets stronger.

I assume you already know about the two "format" of snus, one called "portion snus" which is small bags filled with snus, or "lös snus"(lose snus) which is without the small bags and you form it in your hand into a ball or use a tool to compress it into some weird shape.

Why I bring that up is because making the tobacco into a powder/flower isn't the optimum way in my opinion. I would not do it in powder form which ever way I would consume it(that is not saying that I haven't made it in powder form many times) but especially if you are going to use the snus without a bag then IMO you would get far greater results by mixing powdered tobacco with a much grainier or rougher form of the tobacco. This makes the consistency much more suitable for snus. Or perhaps one should mill it until all of it is between fine powder and rough grains...

And lastly, depending upon how you are going to bake the snus. Some people just get tobacco and mix in salt and sodium carbonate and then let it sit for some time and call it done, I do not agree with that at all.
    Just to add that after having tried many flavour concentrates added to the tobacco I came to the conclusion that pure tobacco is the way to go,it tastes good without anything added flavour wise though that is very subjective.
    Again in my opinion you get better result the longer you let the snus bake in the own. I don't remember the temperature used but I think it was 75degC(between 60 and 75degC I'm sure), you can bake it for 24 hours and it will be better than not baking it,but the best batches I made had been in the own for at least 120 hours, and I experienced that it really does matter how long it is baked for.

About my advice not to use only powdered tobacco, I didn't mean to say that the results won't be great if only powdered tobacco is used. I have used only powdered tobacco many times and it turned out great. But the difference is almost entirely in the consistency and formability of the snus. Taste is the same and maybe it is a little stronger in it's powdered form.

By the way, is home made the only snus you have access to or can you get hold of great old traditional Swedish brands such as "General" or "Grov"?

Regards
    we can import from sweden online, but we pay heavy tax of several hundred per kg

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12