Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Making Snus

AVF Regular

Making Snus

Hey Snusers

Since I'll be waiting forever on my order from the Northerner (sending out 2/3 tins at time on a 3 roll order is a bit of a joke) I decided to take affirmative action and attempt to cook up my own batch of loose snus. It'll be my first go at making my own so I'm not expecting anything flash but if it tastes half way decent I'll be happy.

I'm using a slow cooker to cook the snus for around 36 hours since I can maintain roughly 90 deg Celsius on the 'keep warm' setting.

So I ground up 200g of some blending Virginia and Burley ribbon pipe tobacco I had. After toasting it in the oven for around 10 mins to dry it out I used a cheap coffee grinder to make a tobacco flour.

Then I boiled about 300ml of water and added 25g sea salt and 8g sodium carbonate. Some recipes use 16g salt whilst others suggest 36g salt so I went somewhere in the middle. Also not sure about when to add sodium carbonate, so decided to add half in the first 24hr cook and then the other half in the second 12 hour cook.

My first cook will be done late tomorrow arvo which I'll then add the rest of the sodium carbonate and around 6g of PG or VG (maybe I'll do a 50/50 of PG/VG) and I'll add some Calcium Propionate (preservative E282) to inhibit mold.

After it's all done on Monday morning it'll be a matter of waiting a couple of weeks in the fridge to test it out.

I'll see how it goes but it seems to be a pretty straight forward process. Just a bit messy with tobacco dust getting everywhere haha

Cheers
    Noe and gtadmin like this.

AVF Regular
    Sounds interesting. I'm excited to hear how it goes.
    On a change of subject, if you order 2-3 tins at a time do you not have to pay tax on it?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Seddas View Post
    Sounds interesting. I'm excited to hear how it goes.
    On a change of subject, if you order 2-3 tins at a time do you not have to pay tax on it?
    i just paid an $8.40 ransom on a single tin

to the OP, not sure the harm reduction element holds up with commercial tobacco. But interesting idea
    Seddas likes this.

AVF Regular
    Might be a dumb-ass question, but can you buy organic tobacco? Might be a better option than using the regular stuff.

I will tell my aquaintences who grow their own tobacco about this. I wish you had taken some pics of the various stages!

ETA: growing your own tobacco is very naughty, don't do it.
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 05-03-16 at 08:17 PM.

AVF Regular
    Only took a couple pics. One is the tobacco flour mix after I added the salt water and mixed it up. The other is in the crockpot.

Also I forgot to mention that I added a teaspoon of cocoa powder to the flour when I mixed it up.

Yes if I used air cured whole leaf tobacco then it would be somewhat less harmful than using commercial blending tobacco. The Virginia I used was probably flue cured which has higher TSNA count than air cured, but Burley is generally air cured. Whether additional additives apart from mycoban is used in blending pipe tobacco is another thing but what can you do? Sure I could grow and cure my own but I'd be breaking the law and unfortunately importing whole leaf is not permitted unless you have a license.

I used these sites for inspiration.

How to make swedish snus

Swedish Snus - Curious and creative

Recipe for Ettan snus

gtadmin, Rhojin, DogMan and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Twistie - just a thought and dunno what this is like but it is organic additive free
    (I didnt realize that TB prices had gone up quite so much- no wonder peeps are going without to get it anyhow...)
    https://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/pro...additive-free/
    NNA AU and general vape advocacy in Australia summed up-
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...
    Secrecy for the greater good... Enemies are everywhere

"If you see something ...Say say nothing...
    Then drink to forget ..."
    One of us... one of us...one of us....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Might be a dumb-ass question, but can you buy organic tobacco? Might be a better option than using the regular stuff.

I will tell my aquaintences who grow their own tobacco about this. I wish you had taken some pics of the various stages!

ETA: growing your own tobacco is very naughty, don't do it.
    used to be able to buy m-something (shrug). Best guess a commercial 'organic' might still get additives (ie chemicals and other shite) thrown in after being grown 'special'

AVF Regular

Update

Probably American Spirit or Manitou is the best rolling baccy to use if buying in Oz. It is quite dry so you get the best bang for your buck. I think the additive free slogan is probably more marketing spin but ya never know, if they've stayed true to the Santa Fe Natural Tobacco tradition then it may well be truly organic/additive free rolling tobacco. A bit of perique in snus would be an interesting addition.

Still much cheaper for me to get pipe tobacco from O/S.

I woke up this morning and checked the progress and was a little horrified to see the temp had risen to a little over the 100 deg mark. Not knowing how bad that sort of temp was I opened it up to check and it smelt burnt. I thought it might of been ruined. On one of the sites I linked to earlier the guy suggested covering the crockpot with foil to raise the temp which I did but it worked a little too well in my case and have since removed it. Temp is more stable at around 90 deg again.

Anyway I've taken out the snus to mix in the rest of the sodium carbonate and added 1.5g of calcium propionate as a mold inhibitor. E282 is a pretty expensive product in Australia so maybe potassium sorbate might be a cheaper preservative to use. After giving it thorough mix I placed it back in the slow cooker for the next 12 hour cook. I decided to add the glycerin tomorrow morning after the cooking is finished.

I couldn't help myself so I tasted a small pinch to check that the mornings disaster didn't do permanent damage and am happy to report that it tastes pretty damned good. Almost like Ettan loose. Nice and salty with a chocolaty note. The grind is perfect and stays together even without additional glycerin. I'm pretty stoked at the moment that this experiment exceeded my expectations. Hopefully I haven't ruined it now with the addition of more sodium carbonate. Guess I'll find out and maybe with some aging in the fridge it will balance it out even better.

Cheers

Pic before going in for 2nd cook

Close up
    gtadmin, Cath Mort, Rhojin and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Looks good twistie

AVF Regular

Waiting begins almost

Thanks Rhojin

Well the cooking completed this morning and I ended up going with 3% VG of the weight of snus, which is 12g for what I assumed to be 400g of snus. Although I didn't weigh the batch but I figured there was around double the weight in water from what I started with.

Again I sampled a small pinch in the morning and have tried a normal dose from my icetool tonight. The flavour I think was better after the first cook. It has lost the chocolaty note and now has a more licorice note, to my taste anyway, which isn't a bad thing in of itself. It seems to be less salty also, possibly because of the additional alkalizing agent and perhaps the calcium propionate has introduced a flavour also. The nicotine seems to be about average, maybe a little less but it is hard to tell at this time of day. It isn't making my head spin or anything so I can safely say it isn't a nic powerhouse.

It bakes a decent enough pris by hand and stays put in my lip. All in all I think it was a worthwhile endeavour and one which I'll be repeat again in the future. Next time I'll add the sodium carbonate in the last cook and I might add a bit more salt. I may even try and get some potassium carbonate to use instead of sodium carbonate.

I ordered a temp controller which I was waiting for before i was going to try this experiment but the brew shop I ordered it from was having some supply issue and delays in shipment. So I got impatient and tested my slow cooker one night and found that it was giving a decent temp without one. So I decided to go ahead and try a batch.

When I finally get around to having another go I should have the keg king temp controller so I might try a longer cook with a lower temp. The flavour and aroma of the finished product will be different from higher temp cook, the downside being that it won't kill as many microbes doing it at lower temps. The harm reduction factor won't be as good but it isn't all relative since I'm not likely to be using it 24/7.

Anyway I'd recommend giving it a go if you have the means. At least I finally got to use my slow cooker for something. I did use it once to make some soup but it's been sitting in the cupboard since.

Cheers

Packed an empty Skruf los tin which I'll sample over the next couple of weeks to gauge any changes.

Hand baked pris of the finished product
    Noe, gtadmin, Rhojin and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast