Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Help/Info

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Help/Info

Hello!

Been a while (few years) since I've been here! I have, however, read how difficult it is to get snus in Australia these days. I also tried ordering, about a year ago, from both buysnus and northener and all was seized by customs and just gave up bothering and smoked since. Basically what I would like to know, is the easiest way to import even if I have to pay the damn tax (quickest way of delivery) hey if anyone has any tips feel free to PM message too

Used to be so easy. Its really pretty lame its so difficult now :S

AVF Regular
    Yep - times have changed - snus now pretty ignored sadly by advocates - taxes are through the roof - and many snusers now dont really trust eachother to give out info after there was some shenannigans

Northerner is still pretty touch and go - buysnus is ok - good luck trying to avoid the taxes - express post where you can - and if you can snus x - thats pretty recommended

DIY TB free type snus and lozenges made with WTAs is an alternative theres a thread on that somewhere here in the snus section

Not much else to say really

Really sorry you ended up back at smoking - dont blame you tho - it really is lame

Quote Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
    Hello!

Been a while (few years) since I've been here! I have, however, read how difficult it is to get snus in Australia these days. I also tried ordering, about a year ago, from both buysnus and northener and all was seized by customs and just gave up bothering and smoked since. Basically what I would like to know, is the easiest way to import even if I have to pay the damn tax (quickest way of delivery) hey if anyone has any tips feel free to PM message too

Used to be so easy. Its really pretty lame its so difficult now :S
    Rhojin likes this.
    NNA AU and general vape advocacy in Australia summed up-
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...
    Secrecy for the greater good... Enemies are everywhere

"If you see something ...Say say nothing...
    Then drink to forget ..."
    One of us... one of us...one of us....

Super Moderator
    Making Snus

Is this the one you are referring to?
    Last edited by gtadmin; 07-05-16 at 03:13 AM.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Yep that be one of em I reckon!

There was also this TB free thing that someone posted a while ago (copy & pasted from my puter so not sure and too tired to look where the thread is but its here somewhere )

Ok I have been testing my batches of snus substitute & I am happy enough that they work the same way as real snus, so as promised I am sharing the recipe.

First the ingredients you will need:
    Teabags (with tea still in them)
    200mg/ml 100% PG based unflavored nic
    24mg unflavored WTA liquid (100% PG base if possible but any will do)
    Salt (Natural rock salt, non-iodised)
    Water (Tap water is fine, since you'll be boiling it)
    Propylene Glycol (PG)
    Vegetable Glycerin (VG) (Only needed for making Los or to add sweetness)
    Flavour concentrate(s) (Super concentrates work best for this, since they add less volume)
    Sodium Carbonate (can be made from Bicarb of Soda)
    An empty air tight container or snus tin (For this purpose, Odens tins will not be good enough since they are not completely sealed, however most other brand's tins are useful)
    Prillan portion bags (not absolutely needed to make portions, the discarded tea bags will work but these work better)

I chose Tea as the medium for my snus substitute, because it IMO most closely resembles snus, in that it is made from a leaf & is about the same size & texture as snus.
    Coffee grounds could also be used but IMO they would not be as good & the recipe would need adjusting to compensate for the acidity of the coffee grounds, tea has a more neutral PH & this makes it more ideal IMO.

100mg/ml nic could be used but this would mean more PG base is being added to the mixture than needed, which WILL change the taste of the end product, however if you want to make regular strength snus then it could be substituted & used in place of the 200mg/ml for making High strength (like odens exteme) at 1:1.
    To make High strength snus substitute, you will really need 200mg/ml unflavored nic, unless you want the end product tasting chemically.

To make Sodium Carbonate, get some Bicarb (available at any supermarket), I used enough to fill a snus tin - which is going to last for ages, place some bicarb in an oven safe dish & cook in thge over at over 100 degrees Celsius for 1hr.
    I did it at 110 deg for 1hr 15min just to be sure it had all been converted.
    This ingredient may not be essential, although it is an essential ingredient in making real snus from tobacco, however since we are already using freebase nicotine it is possible that it could be omitted but freebasing the nicotine is not its only role.
    There are 2 other roles this has, first it is an alkaliser, used to change the PH of the end product, much of the "burn" in strong snus comes from the alkaloids that are added to it, such as Sodium Carbonate, so be careful not to add too much of this or it could make your snus too alkaline.
    The second role it plays is it gives snus it's distinctive taste & in my testing, I found that it did indeed make the substitute taste more like the real thing with this added to it.

The empty can or cans are needed for storing your snus but also, you will need to "steep" the snus for a week, in the air tight cans in the fridge, before the snus is ready for use.

Prillian bags make making portions easy, they can be purchased here: Prillan Snus Bags

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Making Snus

Is this the one you are referring to?
    Pleski and Rhojin like this.
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...

Super Moderator

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Smartyjocks!

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    gtadmin and Rhojin like this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah the tax man isn't giving us snusers much of break these days. On very rare occasions you can still get lucky. If you want the snus you'll have to pay your dues. Still, if you're smoking a pack a day it'll be half the cost than smoking since a can of snus should last a couple days at least. I chain snus and go through around 3 tins a week

Quickest delivery method is UPS. Don't think Northerner has UPS as a shipping option but buysnus should have it. Shipping will be more expensive but you'll have your snus in 4 days or so, best to order 2 or 3 rolls to make it worthwhile but the tax bill will be high. You can also still use snail mail but it can take a lot longer, sometimes 6 weeks or more. Around 3 to 4 weeks is average using post I reckon.

Better to snus than smoke so paying the tax is like a health insurance premium is they way I try and justify it haha
    Rhojin likes this.

AVF Regular
    Can someone explain

1) How much will customs tax one small can of snus (eg the $6 cans you see on buysnus)
    2) is there any amount which they won't tax ?
    3) is there any amount which is less likely to be marked for tax?
    4) if you refuse to pay the tax, do they just send it back to sender? Is it possible you'll be reimbursed partly by any vendors if that happens?
    5) if you do pay the tax, will customs send it to you, or do they just confiscate?

AVF Regular
    1) Tax is $672/kg + GST. A can of full size portions is 24g snus. Looking at around $20-$22 odd dollars tax or somewhere around that figure.
    2) No
    3) Less is better but assume you'll pay duty and be done with it.
    4) No they destroy it. Customs no longer returns to sender. The vendor wouldn't reimburse you even if they did. The onus is on you to pay whatever duties are payable. It's in their T&C
    5) If you pay the tax, border farce will release the snus and it will be delivered by Auspost. You are permitted to import 1.5kg of smokeless tobacco, any more than that will probably raise some eyebrows and you might then have to jump through some hoops. So order less than 1.5kg to be safe.

Long gone are the days of duty free snus. Sometimes you do still get lucky but they are one in a hundred sort of odds.

If you smoke a pack a day of cigarettes I think snus will be cheaper. An average snuser will use between 8 to 12 portions a day I reckon. I go through 2.5-3 tins a week but I pretty much chain snus, compared to the 7 packs of 25 I would've smoked I think I get more bang for my buck from snus, notwithstanding the harm reduction, which is the primary reason I switched to snus anyway. I think snus delivers a much bigger kick than ciggies so if I went back to smoking it'll cost me a fortune haha

If you are going to order one tin, pick a vendor that ships free, at least you won't have an additional $6-10 shipping to pay.
    Rhojin likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I had completely forgotten that I had posted this, and in line with my yearly 'I really need to do something about my smoking' Here I am again!

Its been so long that I dont even remember what strength to start with! I smoke 30 cigarettes a day, but dont like a huge nicotine buzz (only slight inhaler)

Cant work out if mini would be best, or a full strength portion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast