• 2 Post By DogMan
  • 2 Post By Bryce.C
  • 1 Post By Pymboline
  • 1 Post By RodeoRoo
  • 1 Post By flyingfox12

Thread: Letter from customs

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Letter from customs

So I ordered 2 cans of General White portions from Northerner about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday, I got a letter in the mail from Customs asking me to pay $45 in duty (the order with shipping only cost something like $12).

I was under the impression that 2 cans should be alright, because it's under the 50g limit (1 can = 24g, 24 x 2 = 48 g total). Am I wrong?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pymboline View Post
    So I ordered 2 cans of General White portions from Northerner about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday, I got a letter in the mail from Customs asking me to pay $45 in duty (the order with shipping only cost something like $12).

I was under the impression that 2 cans should be alright, because it's under the 50g limit (1 can = 24g, 24 x 2 = 48 g total). Am I wrong?
    the 50g limit is if you come by plane and have it in your luggage from my knowledge, doesn't apply to mail imports
    Noe and Fatman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    As dogman said it's only for bringing it in via a flight not for importing it

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Fatman and DogMan like this.

AVF Regular
    I have had three orders sent to me from Mr.Snuff all were under the 50gr limit. I get it sent by UK Royal Mail. I only had one parcel opened by customs and no demand for any duty. The other two arrived unopened. Mr. Snuff declared on the customs declaration that it was nasal snuff. Do not understand why you were hassled. Other I know import more that 50g and their parcels also seem to go through. I think it might have something to do with the type of delivery service. Priority stuff like DHL seems to attract customs more.

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    the 50g limit is if you come by plane and have it in your luggage from my knowledge, doesn't apply to mail imports
    Ah, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    I have had three orders sent to me from Mr.Snuff all were under the 50gr limit. I get it sent by UK Royal Mail. I only had one parcel opened by customs and no demand for any duty. The other two arrived unopened. Mr. Snuff declared on the customs declaration that it was nasal snuff. Do not understand why you were hassled. Other I know import more that 50g and their parcels also seem to go through. I think it might have something to do with the type of delivery service. Priority stuff like DHL seems to attract customs more.
    That's why I only ordered 2 tubs, because I've seen a lot of people getting a few tubs through without any ransom demands. I didn't use DHL or any express service, just regular Swedish post (took nearly six weeks to get to this point) so who knows. Judging by the letter I got it seems Aus Post deal with it from here.

Weird thing is, when I came back from the US a few months ago I had 2 sealed tubs and about a half tub I had opened and use on the flight. I figured if they demanded money I'd just hand them over, since General in the US is only about $5 a tub. Weird thing is, when I declared them, old mate from customs said it was no worries because it was only a couple of tubs despite me having more than 50g total. Who knows. The rules seem so arbitrary and illogical apparently even those who enforce them don't know or understand them fully.
    flyingfox12 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pymboline View Post
    Ah, good to know.

That's why I only ordered 2 tubs, because I've seen a lot of people getting a few tubs through without any ransom demands. I didn't use DHL or any express service, just regular Swedish post (took nearly six weeks to get to this point) so who knows. Judging by the letter I got it seems Aus Post deal with it from here.

Weird thing is, when I came back from the US a few months ago I had 2 sealed tubs and about a half tub I had opened and use on the flight. I figured if they demanded money I'd just hand them over, since General in the US is only about $5 a tub. Weird thing is, when I declared them, old mate from customs said it was no worries because it was only a couple of tubs despite me having more than 50g total. Who knows. The rules seem so arbitrary and illogical apparently even those who enforce them don't know or understand them fully.
    Luck of the draw I suppose, they decided to pick on you.

AVF Regular
    My last three orders have been done by customs. While others have had huge orders get through. its kinda luck of the draw
    flyingfox12 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoRoo View Post
    My last three orders have been done by customs. While others have had huge orders get through. its kinda luck of the draw
    There is a member on this forum that may be able to help you. PM Emu.
    RodeoRoo likes this.

Soz wrong thread..
    Last edited by Pantoea; 14-06-17 at 12:40 AM.