• 1 Post By silverx
  • 2 Post By Crisscross
  • 1 Post By DaveJ
  • 1 Post By essiemessy
  • 4 Post By essiemessy

Thread: essie's story

AVF Regular

essie's story

I'm in my early fifties, and I've been vaping for over a year and a half.
    I was smoking daily for forty years, since I was 11. I'll never forget my very first 'drawback' - I was on horseback with a friend at the time and I'm still unsure how I managed to stay on LOL Anyone with half a brain would have got the lesson, but noooooo. My life had been pretty much turned upside down a couple of years before that, so I must have figured in my kiddy-brain back then that this was something good to be doing. Grown-ups did it - my mother and her parents did. Cool, I would be thinking, I guess, like I was 'somebody' (those years are a blur).
    Anyway, I very soon developed the technique, and the 'look' LOL I was a 'good' smoker, especially for a kid. This carried on throughout my school years, including boarding school. It was there that we declared we would stop smoking if and when a pack got to a dollar. Famous last words LMAO!
    On leaving school, of course I was 'allowed' to smoke, because I wasn't a schoolkid anymore. So I did.
    I smoked anywhere from 15 to 45 cigarettes a day post-school, depending on my stage in life. During school years, it was more piecemeal and I'd have to make a packet last for a week, kind of thing.

My health was good until my late forties. I was always fit and well, strong and tough. But my lungs began to fail, and I developed asthma which eventually got to a point where even a course of prednisolone (sp?) didn't even touch it. I'd tried a few times in the latter years to quit, but I always failed. By the time I'd discovered vaping (I stumbled across the concept some years before without actually looking into it), I was desperate. I was so dependent on tobacco and yet I knew it was killing me. By the time I bought my first plastic disposable, I was literally (yes, really) heaving for breath if I had to say 'thank you' to customers. It can't have been a very good look. It was a wakeup that the steroids were totally ineffective, and I was really looking at the only future possible for someone so ill - which consisted basically of an oxy bottle on wheels and no life at all.

So I went down to the local baccy shop and asked about them. They had some disposables, and so I got one. OMG it really was just like smoking. So I looked online some more and found Aussie sites that sold them, but of course without nicotine. That was ok. It was enough, under the circumstances. I went cold turkey onto vaping, I was so happy to have found an alternative that wouldn't kill me. The asthma improved almost instantly. Amazing. I was using patches, left over from a previous fail, but was forgetting to put them on after a week and a half, so I stopped. The weirdest thing was that I wasn't really having withdrawals - I think I was just high on life - or at least the again-very-real prospect of having one (a life, that is).

Then I found AVF while trying to find out more about this vaping caper, once I'd learned that our local baccy shop wasn't going to stock these anymore, and I'd already ordered a 510T kit and got some doubler from Vaping Mad once I'd tried to make sense of their glossary (thank goodness for the glossary!).
    By then, it was August 2012, a month after finding the cigalike. And I still wasn't smoking.
    Anyway, once on AVF, Noey had come to the rescue with his shopping list. It was a very good list - links and a little info, and so I shopped. I was still vaping no nic and was cool with that, so I didn't bother with any juices from that list.

The rest, you could say, is history. I did my initiation to the vaping world the same as most vapers did - lots of silly questions, lots of reading, and doing dumb things, while making sense of it all. All I really knew, was that I'd been thrown a lifeline, in every sense of the word. I shudder to think how unwell I'd be by now if I hadn't quit smoking. That's what this alternative to burning leaves means to me. And to me, it is an alternative. In the short term, yes, I'd have to concede that vaping is a good quit aid. But it's also the best alternative. I still inhale stuff, but it's just not smoke. I don't want this thing to be medicalised. An alternative, yes, but not an 'aid' or medicine.

Anyhoo, until xmas 2012, I was happily and easily vaping 0 nic. Then.....

.... The thread below is a bit of a record of my second phase of vaping. It's pretty much a self-indulgent ramble on how I'm doing, and how I stayed off the cigs this time, from March last year. Pretty mundane, but it really did help me keep on swimming. It is not compulsory reading, of course LOL
    ACK! Who made the wagon bigger?
    The upshot is that starting on nic has done the trick. In just a couple of day's time, I will be celebrating my first 'real' vaperversary. It will be a whole year since I got back on the wagon, thanks to nicotine. The longest I have not smoked since I took that first drawback on Chrissie's back one lunchtime in the paddock next to my primary school.
    I can breathe again, and my toybox has been replaced with bigger ones ever since LOL

Anyway, that's my vaping story. I owe my life to this new hobby and lifestyle I enjoy right now.
    I think that without this forum, it would have been so very much harder to keep afloat. These are real people, who do things that help others to an extent I'm sure they have no idea of.
    Do I plan to cease nicotine or vaping altogether? No, and no. I see no need to stop anything that's doing the job of being a fabulous alternative to smoking. I've decreased my nicotine by half since I started on it, and have some juices that have much less nic than that, even. But I've got nicotine for the next several years at least, so it's not a concern at the moment. The lower nic I vape, the longer my supply will last. I may very well wean myself off it, but it's not something I'm aiming for in the short to medium-term future.
    The toys are awesome, the vapour sublime.
    Vape On, Luvvies
    Last edited by essiemessy; 03-03-14 at 03:51 PM.
    Fifth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

vape on!
    essiemessy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I just went back and reread all of these.

How inspirational everyone is. And as first brave cab off the rank well done essie
    Last edited by Crisscross; 13-04-14 at 06:14 PM.
    essiemessy and DaveJ like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Aww thanks, Luvvy. I'm pretty sure there were a few others ahead of me, though.

But yep all of them are pretty awesome

I can't believe how well you did on 0 nic...

Thanks for the great read essie.
    essiemessy likes this.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

AVF Regular
    LMAO Dave, neither can I!
    DaveJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    Mulling over whether to submit a story for this enquiry. I probably will, at the last minute, as is my wont. But it might need a bit of updating LOL
    Still vaping and not smoking, BTW