Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: A Brief History of DogMan

AVF Regular

A Brief History of DogMan

Smoking history:

I'll mostly gloss over this b/c it was much like everyone else of gen x or older. Start high school = start smoking, it was what everyone did. I smoked for about 2 decades, give or take. Micro events in that 2 decades was about 5 years dual use tobacco and the green shit, and a decent cold turkey run when my support network in the form of [previously believed to be] good woman just worked.

Tried the usual stuff, including the med route and had the expected results.

My Vaping Journey

A few years back, on a mental illness forum, a friend of mine took up first generation e cigs and swore by them. That was the first I had heard of them. At the time they sounded like a PITA, and I smoked chop chop, so it was easier and cheaper to buy a half kilo of tax free baccie for $40.

Then about 3 years ago, on a football forum, another friend took them up. I took more interest this time and we exchanged PM to discuss them. Again the cost analysis favoured chop chop.

Then last year the gubbinmintz decided the bikies and organised crime rings that supplied my tax free baccie were less than awesome and started raids on everyone. My suppliers either got personally caught, or their suppliers did.

So my costs went up, it was comparable in price to buy tax free counterfeit tailor mades, or pouches of white ox.

I went to the quack and got patches, I found as long as I was moving with blood flow I could cut down by about 10% given the extra incentive of price.

So I googled, I youtubed etc.

The hardware choice i made was OK, I bought an evod kit, which allowed enough left over cash out of my pay that if it was shit, I could fall back on the 'tox. I got express posted premix from one of the kiwi mobs.

I switched on 20/11/13, then the morning of 21/11/13 I discovered I'd been sent a dud charger. That was when I joined AVF to trouble shoot. The helpful folk here isolated the issue. Already by now the rollies were tasting pretty attrociuos, which they had been anyway since I was missing my regular chop chop, it just wasn't the same for me.

22/11/13 was my last smoke, and it was shit. I think i took about 3 drags and butted it out.

Over the net few weeks I thought i was gunna cark it. 2 decades of heavy smoking gunk decided it didn't want to be in my lungs anymore. My sister is a nurse, and has nurse friends, and they helped explain the recovery process.

I also discovered mods by just browsing online stores. I figured if a VTR costs $120 it must be good, so i bought one... it was good, but i would soon discover I could have spent $30 on a vamo and been equally pleased.

I was actually just gunna aim for 50/50 smoking/vaping.

I didn't tell anyone for a while, i mostly let people ask.

I only vape at home and in designated non-smoking areas, and think that is appropriate. Taste buds and a sense of smell suck.

I came back to AVF about a month later, mostly lurking the funny picture thread. Oogy was nice when I posted and she made me feel like part of the community.

Curiosity led to mech mods and sub ohm, and i am now broke again and trying to wean off.

I think I only got this far b/c my chop chop supply dried up, I had incentive with costs going up 600% overnight. [not exaggerated]

* Closing thoughts/words of encouragement for others that may still be on their journey.

It is not tobacco, tobacco flavours are shit, try them, but don't buy 6 months worth before sampling
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Often we hear of slow starts to vaping, and so it must be pretty awesome to finally hit your vape straps, as it were.

You also have reminded me to add words if encouragement to my story. I think I forgot a lot of things LOL
    margyb, spud and DogMan like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
    Often we hear of slow starts to vaping, and so it must be pretty awesome to finally hit your vape straps, as it were.

You also have reminded me to add words if encouragement to my story. I think I forgot a lot of things LOL
    Yeah, after all I had read around various forums I kinda always had vaping in the back of my mind as a back up.

I also didn't mention that I saw an old family friend around the same time, who said "You're getting your Mum's cough DogMan" and a bunch of similar comments probably contributed too
    margyb, Fatman and Christine J like this.

AVF Regular
    On where I am now. I vape 12mg during the day, mixed from imported 100mg unflavoured. Then after sundown when cravingsare high and mood is low I vape 18mg.

I occasionally get too much energy, and my morning walk breaks into a jog. So far I only make about 200 meters very slowly, but that is about 195 meters farther than i could have done on the cigs, and afterwards I continue my walk, not collapse.

My doctors are supportive and see improvement.

I allow myself occasional real butter now without the cholesterol strain of smoking

AVF Regular
    Is this like a vaping journey blog? Mods can crop this out, but kinda wanna document a developmental step in experimenting.

i've been toying with the idea of buying a bottom feeder, but my upcoming rego being due means the funds are a way away, so I ordered one of these;

Also a pre welded bottom feed 510 battery connector with tubing for a tank yesterday, and a pre-spldge-ready 6ml bottle to see how they wrk [those two are for a diy still in planning stages.

I'll try to remember to update when I've road tested

That was a good read DogMan. I have to admit the only place I came across chop chop was when I bought ounces from a dealer probably associated with bikies. But that was over a decade ago.

They certainly tasted different from tailor mades - none of the chemicals. I can understand why people buy it - $100 per kilo sounds pretty frigging good to me.

But vaping is better and I'm glad you made the switch.
    DogMan and Christine J like this.

AVF Regular
    update at the 5 month mark

shinyitis has finally subsided, and i think my reo during the day time, with a tube mech at night with stronger is my happy place, next pay is now not about the latest mod, but instead shopping for my family's birthdays coming up, and other mundane life things

i'm down to 10mg during the day, if i don't have a little boost at night i get cranky, but it is slowly reducing. i ordered snus last week which might help that

i'll leave it at that before i make lame captain kirk jokes, i'm not a trekky so will do it no justice
    Christine J and aussie63 like this.

Only comment I could think of here would have to be "Beam me up Scotty, There's no intelligent life down here"...........
    maggie and DogMan like this.

What I want to see written on my tombstone is "This is the future home of Ron........".

AVF Regular
    also should note zero cigs in that time, haven't cracked once
    Christine J, aussie63 and Pirate like this.

AVF Regular
    Good on you, my friend. From what I have read you seem like a really likeable intelligent bloke
    DogMan likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast