Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: The story of Crisscross

AVF Regular

The story of Crisscross

Apologies if you have seen these posts before. I shamelessly cut and paste existing posts to create this tale of my journey.

I started vaping mid October 2011 and have not had an analogue since. Not even tempted.

Originally wrote in 2011

I was a pack and a half a day smoker. Who am I kidding the pack contained 40 but a pack and a half sounds better than 60 a day. As the daughter of 2 very heavy smoking parents who let their children smoke at home I started at the age of 13. 38 years later I was still there. Cigarettes had been there through thick and thin for me. I had toyed with divorcing them, you v'e been there as well. Patches, Gum, Hypnosis, Cold Turkey and even aversion therapy. Nothing worked for me.

Those faithful cigarettes were right there when my father died of lung cancer and mother had half a lung removed. I smoked even more to help me get through the grief. There was nothing i didn't like about the process. I didn't smell the ashtray (had no sense of smell), food tasted as it always did (no tastebuds). All our friends were smokers so no one complained about second hand smoke and my better half smoked just as much as I did. Money was not an issue for us "WE ARE SMOKERS DAMM THE COST". We had no children to be careful around. Our married life revolved around where we could smoke, where to buy the next carton and the age old question where's my lighter.

As we got older though, the cough shortness of breath and other health issues cropped up. Simple healing took much longer and we had resigned ourselves to dying early. Then a very close friend also a smoker had a heart attack and needed a liver transplant. He had to quit smoking. He did and all is well but he never got over the process of smoking. He found ecigs and showed us a 510 that he was playing around with. After a play around ourselves we left it there. A week or so later on a car trip hubby and I started talking about ecigs and the possibility of having our cake and eating it. We both were scared of nicotine withdrawal and this seemed to be a way to have nicotine without the harmful smoke.

We got home and I started to research. I'm good at that. I knew everything and nothing about ecigs. Ordered a 510 kit and some nic juice from china and started practicing. One vape, one smoke you get the idea. Hated it. Could not figure out how much juice to put on the fuzzy stuff in the little black cap. More research. Already had the 510 batteries so bought some 510T atomizers and tanks. Loved it. Still waiting for nic juice and alternating vape & cigs.

The nic juice finally arrived and I mixed it up. 8mg strength. Put the cigarettes away and just vaped. Wow how easy was that. Because I had cut my smoking in half during the practice phase I probably went through withdrawal without knowing it. Not sure when the lungs got better or when the sense of smell and taste came back but I feel great.

I say at the beginning I started vaping in mid October the reality was I practiced for 10 days while the nicotine juice was being delivered. I have moved on from 510's to Ego t's and that progression story is for another post.

When I post it will be from personal experience. The journey of discovery to what works for me was a vital experience for me and IMO everyone needs to go through their own. There is so much to tinker with and it would be easy to get caught up in the search for nirvana. Personally I need to keep this simple and as a nicotine delivery system that I can live with every day. Thats what I have.
    gert, margyb, lozza 82 and 39 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    One anniversary

The story picks up one year later. It's a bit weird because I don't quite remember when I started to feel really good. It just happened. There were a couple of OMG moments when I realised that after a heavy day of exercise I wasn't incapacitated but the health improves quickly and just keeps getting better.

The first year has had it's ups and downs. Times when nothing seemed to work but you bumble your way through it. Some of the random lessons.

I learned how much back up is necessary from a practical perspective but mostly how much I needed for my own comfort level (a lot).

I learned that this is just a nicotine delivery system for us and not a hobby. (Boredom does set in and a change of equipment can help)

As an instantaneous shopper I learnt very early that stalking the postman is as stressful for them as it is for you. Plan ahead.

As someone who has to be in control I will always mix my own Eliquid from concentrates. I need to know what the ingredients are and how they are mixed.

Money is no object. When you smoked as much as we did you can't possibly spend as much on vaping as we did on cigarettes. Buy what you want not what you need as you are more likely to stick with what feels good. This can be cheap or expensive it just has to be reliable and have replaceable components.

I found what worked early but in reading a lot of forum posts still managed to be influenced by other people's opinions and tried a lot of things that did not work for me. So the moral of the story is stick with what works.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. If someone around you smokes and you want them to vape. Let it go. Your health and happiness is the best advertisement for the benefits of vaping. Everyone's journey is different and although you can share your experience and assist, ultimately they need to work it out themselves.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 25-01-15 at 02:44 PM.
    gert, margyb, gtadmin and 29 others like this.

AVF Regular
    2 year anniversary

Wow! Who would have thought.

We still talk about the night at a friends house when he showed us a 510 ecig (with carts) and we had our first puff of piņa colada eliquid. It was the strangest most enlightening moment. A week later on a fishing trip (you have to love how many problems can be solved on a road trip) we nervously thought maybe this was the answer to our many failed quit attempts. A lot of research later we ordered our first kit and nicotine from China. A couple of weeks practicing and changing up our gear and then on October 13th 2011 at 10.30 the postman delivered our nic. I ripped open the package and made up our liquid, butted out my ciggie and the rest is history. I kept the opened packet for about six months and an unopened one for a year, just in case this was too good to be true but I was never tempted. My little app says 36,500 ciggies not smoked and the very thought of what I was doing to myself makes me feel ill.

Sadly not that long ago our friend was diagnosed with end stage lung cancer and doesn't have much time left, but we thank him every day for giving us the rest of our lives.

There is so much information on ecigs and vaping now, so many decisions to make and really high expectations. I reminisce about the early days when ecigs were an under the radar movement with simple gear and limited choices and where vendors were pioneer vapers and my heros. While the faces (ID's) change, the forum folk are still there helping to make sure you are ok, giving you encouragement when you are down or frustrated and making you smile when you just need to interact with people who understand.

I have met some stellar people here, many of whom I would never have had the good fortune to meet in real life. So thank you for your care and understanding through good and bad. To all the new vapers starting this journey, celebrate your milestones and achievements, and be proud of the switch.

I am a vaper and whatever the future brings I can deal with it because I now have much more of that future than I could ever have imagined.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 11-04-14 at 10:30 PM.
    gert, margyb, lozza 82 and 34 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Reserved for updates....
    margyb, mrsgruffy, oxey and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Well written my amigo of the Elegance Tank Admiration Society, in my "crap n suff" box I have an unopened packet of Pall Mall Menthol's, original packaging (before the new packaging laws came out ), every so often when I'm looking for a O ring I come across them, I pull out that package and smile to myself, good fortune to you and your other half on your journey.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular
    What a great story Criss. I have come across some great people through this forum and a lot of them that I would call friends even though I have never met most of them. We all have a story to tell and most are the same but some as in your friend and a great poster that some knew from the forum...is a tad sadder. But as exsmokers or new vapers, we have the chance to live a little bit longer by not smoking ciggies. Everyday is a new day for all of us, a step further to reach another milestone without the dreaded addiction of cigarettes that we are all addicted to.
    I applaud anyone that can give away fags instantly and just vape...some can, some can't...but at least we are giving it a hell of a good go at life without smokes...one day at a time.

AVF Regular
    Awesome story Crisscross. I think this 'Your Story' sub forum is great, particularly for those interested in starting their journey with ecigs and giving up smoking. I still smoke and I often think its hopeless and that I'm never going to be able to kick the habit. Then I read stories like yours that i can so relate to and I know that I can do it. just have to persevere, be a bit more possitive and know that if so many others have kicked the habit then there's no reason why it can't work for me also.
    I've finally found a vendor who's e juices I love so that's made a huge difference.

Thanks so much for sharing your story Crisscross!

AVF Regular
    Thank you guys.

One thing I don't dwell on was the utter desperation I felt just before I found ecigs. I was very sick and at the lowest point I have been for a very long time. I knew I had to get healthy or turn into a bubble person unable to do what I loved. I started a exercise and new eating regime and then just as I was getting results we found ecigs. It was the icing on the cake and I embraced it 1000%

In the years I have been here I see all sorts of ways that vaping works to help people. There does not seem to be a one system for everyone and I think that's what works. Everything can be customised for the individual. Its brilliant.

Thanks for your story Crisscross.

Nic Free Since 12th May 2014

What a great read thanks for sharing your experience with us Chris

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast