Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: btobw's Story

AVF Regular

btobw's Story

I was going to save this until I got to one year cigarette-free, but recent developments in WA have prompted me to do it now - 9.5 months after my last cigarette..

I come from a family of non-smokers, but was led astray by the boy across the road who used to smoke behind his chook shed. I had my first cigarette circa 1963 when I was 13, and by 1969 I was a regular smoker.

I did make an attempt to give up when pregnant, and briefly got down to 5 a day. But that experience taught me that giving up would be very, very difficult for me. I enjoyed smoking, and friends and family soon learnt that suggesting I give up was a very bad idea. It was guaranteed to turn me from my usual charming, delightful self content-and-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif into a raging tower of anger enraged-smiley-emoticon.gif ("How dare you tell me how I should live my life!" etc).

I was smoking 30-40 tailor-mades a day. In the early 2000s, life took a bit of a downward turn and the cost became a huge strain. I tried gum again, but I used to smoke and chew the gum at the same time. A friend introduced me to rollies, which were much cheaper.

By early 2013, I had developed a revolting morning cough that wouldn't go away. I had seen a couple of articles about e-cigarettes in the media, and they led me to AVF. I began to wonder if maybe e-cigs would help me cut down a bit because they mimicked the hand-mouth action of smoking. It never at any stage occurred to me that I could actually give up smoking entirely.

I browsed the forum on and off for a while, but remained largely confused. Then I realised that a respected vendor (Steam-e-cigs) had a stall at markets not too far from me. So one weekend I paid them a visit, asked a lot of very dumb questions, and bought a little 510 starter kit and nicotine-free juice. I was convinced that even this tiny battery was huge and I would never be seen dead actually holding it. I was used to little rollies, and even tailor-mades seemed ridiculously large to me.

During the next week I ordered some nicotine from the US and had the occasional test vape. The Steamers had warned me that the 510 wouldn't be enough, and they were right. I was soon back for a couple of ego batteries because it had dawned on me that something less like a cigarette in size would suit me better - it was not a cigarette, and there was no use trying to pretend it was.

I continued with sporadic test vaping for a couple of weeks. My nicotine eventually arrived, but it sat there unopened for a few days. On Friday, 28 June 2013 I finally decided to mix up a test batch of juice at 18mg/ml. At 3pm that day I sat out on the balcony to enjoy the bushland and had my first "real" vape. Despite never intending to stop smoking, I haven't had, or needed, a cigarette since.

In very rapid order, I dropped down to 12 mg/ml, bought my first VV/VW mods, and experimented with every new clearomiser that came on the market. I then discovered cartomisers (and still have a soft spot for them) and bought a long series of carto tanks. By September 2013 I was buying my first mech mod to celebrate three months cigarette-free (GP Paps-x and SnP tank because I wanted one beautifully crafted mod). By the end of 2013 I also owned a Paps Lux, a Microstick and a Provari, along with some Divers and Sophias. I'm fond of box mods, so some time this year I will own an EPM. But otherwise, I've found my happy spot for now and no longer covet every new device on the market.

Thank you to AVF and the Steamers for providing the wherewithal for me to make the switch!
    Last edited by btobw; 29-06-14 at 02:53 PM. Reason: quit date was wrong

StudioVape/PC Wood mods/Custom Classic/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Svapiamo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Origen Little/Hadaly/Pulse22/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    I love reading these stories. So alike yet so different. All are inspirational.

Its almost horrifying now when you read back to what we were doing to ourselves and how normal we thought 30-40 smokes a day were.
    Congratulations on such a success story. And by the way I covet your SnP tank
    margyb, btobw, spud and 4 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

I completely agree with Crisscross. Great read. Thank you.
    btobw and Whizgig like this.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

AVF Regular
    Good story btobw
    And CrissX it is more horrifying to see what the WA cancer council and health department are going to do to our health
    btobw, spud and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    Good story btobw
    And CrissX it is more horrifying to see what the WA cancer council and health department are going to do to our health
    Stocktaking as we speak.
    margyb, btobw and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks folks

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I love reading these stories. So alike yet so different. All are inspirational.

Its almost horrifying now when you read back to what we were doing to ourselves and how normal we thought 30-40 smokes a day were.
    Congratulations on such a success story. And by the way I covet your SnP tank
    I feel guilty about being congratulated because the switch was unexpected and so surprisingly painless for me. I work from home and still have that last pouch of tobacco in my desk somewhere - but have never had any inclination to ferret it out.

I have three SnP tanks and love them. But there's a V2 coming out soon (with 3mm fill holes instead of 2mm). I'll definitely be buying at least one, probably more. So I may be giving away one or more V1 tanks in a month or so, depending on how Vapourart go with the production of the V2s and whether that inconveniently coincides with the EPM being available
    Crisscross likes this.

StudioVape/PC Wood mods/Custom Classic/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Svapiamo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Origen Little/Hadaly/Pulse22/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    Oooooooooooooooooo

Reminder to self add note in calendar
    btobw and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Oooooooooooooooooo

Reminder to self add note in calendar
    I'll let you know
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Great story btobw.

I predict that this sub-forum will eventually be our most powerful weapon against the powers that be...
    margyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    I'll let you know
    I'll be stalking you too ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast