Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Second attempt

AVF Regular
    Ill say

I'm sitting here reading the thread from the beginning and then I realise its over 2 years old

Good to hear that you've continued with the vaping though
    jroly likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    *Sorry if this is off topic*

Now I want to stop the drinking, 3 years ago the most I would drink was 6 beers once per week, I didn't care for spirits & wine but I went on a holiday to Fiji and bought back a few big bottles of Rum & Gin, they were selling at Fiji airport, ie 1.25lt bottle of Gin for $15 was a good deal so I loaded up as much as I was allowed. Didn't like it at first but it grew on me. That was the first time I've really bought alcohol to take home, nearly always drank at a club. So now I started drinking at home and tried a few others like Tequila and Vodka, thought these were pretty good too. Started having shots and things and was onto the hard liquor now, drinking about 1 & 1/2 bottles a week. Then about a year ago decided that drinking spirits was too expensive and went back to drinking beer but also wine, usually the Precious Earth garbage they have at Aldi's for $2.89 or the $5 stuff at other store and got used to drinking nearly each day after work, so about 5 days a week I was (or am) drinking between 2-6 beers and a bottle of wine and maybe once on the weekends too. I don't even enjoy it anymore, it is just the same as with the cigarettes, after work I just feel like a drink would be so good, but after the first couple of drinks I can't be bothered to do anything else except drink more and I don't even enjoy it much and it is making me put on weight too and effecting my sleep :/

So from last Friday I havn't had a drink and don't plan on having anymore, had enough!
    Northerner likes this.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

AVF Regular
    Drinking too?

I consider myself exceedingly fortunate that for whatever reason, I cannot drink alone. If I do, I feel like an idiot and throw it out half drunk, no matter what it is or how small the drink be. With someone else, and we're having fun, I often go way too far, but I'm also very pleased that I am a happy drunk and not the slightest hint of aggressive.

Reason being my male genetic contributor was a terrible and very aggressive alcoholic, and thankfully I've got none of that in me at all.

And when I do go too far, it's rare. Like once a year rare, if that. And no hangover because I tend to make sure I'm ready for that before it happens because I know it's coming and I'm not too far to the wind to prepare for it. Usually lots of water, something to eat and a spoonful of vegemite. Don't knock it until you try it. My own personal magic bullet.

My wife is the same way as myself, and yet together we can't get through a bottle of wine together, even given a few days to get through it. With friends who also don't mind a drink, we'll both have a glass or two, and my wife always drinks wine when flying to knock her out.

I don't know what it is, and cannot comprehend how alcohol takes grip on anyone, but I applaud your effort to kick that out the door as well and hope you manage to get that monkey off your back for good.

I know of only a few folks who got hooked by that demon and can't touch it again for fear of waking it up. A couple who simply don't know how deep the claws are embedded.

Good luck,

Stu.
    disley and jroly like this.

AVF Regular
    Gosh darn it. I'm on my 5th attempt. It's all good. You're only a quitter when you quit quiting
    AllyP likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yep, alcohol can sneak up on you like that.

I got addicted on one of my previous stop-smoking attempts (in the the 90's) and was quite surprised. It wasn't like tobacco addiction, more like a place I needed to go and couldn't stay away from.

Fortunately it was pretty easy for me to switch to non alcoholic drinks, and after a while it wasn't a problem. Even when I was drinking, I always knew when enough was enough. Some people are not so lucky.

It's interesting that drinking is socially acceptable and even encouraged, but issues around alcohol addiction are not talked about much, not really understood, and for some people can be even more devastating than smoking.

Parallels with tobacco addiction:
    * The non-addicted rarely understand the nature of the addiction
    * The addicted are mostly in denial about the nature of the addiction
    * One group often wants to assert its reality on the other

Good luck, but I think you've got it licked already.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 18-01-17 at 12:10 AM.
    jroly, stylemessiah and eLicky like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Health and legal scare stopped me... I was into it for a few years, trying to stop but never really with the right conviction. It's all ancient history to me now.

But they'll have to pry my vape out of my cold dead hands.
    jroly and emu like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

emu
    AVF Regular
    I was lucky enough to have an alcoholic dad, a few slaps, plenty of blood, lots of vomit, family separation just to name a few of the things that turned me off alcohol for life.
    jroly likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I read that Australians smoking has increased increased by 21,000.

Nocookies | The Australian

The number of smokers in Australia has increased for the first time since anti-smoking campaigns ramped up a generation ago, casting doubt on the effectiveness of further taxes on cigarettes.

An unexpected standstill in the national smoking rate since 2013, combined with rapid population growth, has pushed up the number of regular smokers by more than 21,000 to 2.4 million according to Colin Mendelsohn, an expert in public health at the University of New South Wales, who says Australia’s “punitive and coercive” policies to curb smoking have “run out of steam”.

“For the first time ever, there has been no statistically significant reduction in the smoking rate, and an increase in the number of smokers in Australia,” he told The Australian, noting the nation’s smoking rate was now higher than in the US for the first time in a decade. “This is despite plain packaging and the most expensive cigarette prices in the world.”
    I hardly see any Australians smoking anymore, the only people I see are Asians smoking and I guess they buy their cigarettes tax fee illegally, as if they would buy cigarettes for $25 a packet when they could get them for $5 illegally.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

AVF Regular
    Yep, they've driven smoking underground, and onto the black market. Now smokers are buying packs with no pictures of fake lungs or eyes for about $8. A whole new generation of Australians are learning about civil disobedience and tax dodging.
    gert likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yep, alcohol can sneak up on you like that.

I got addicted on one of my previous stop-smoking attempts (in the the 90's) and was quite surprised. It wasn't like tobacco addiction, more like a place I needed to go and couldn't stay away from.

Fortunately it was pretty easy for me to switch to non alcoholic drinks, and after a while it wasn't a problem. Even when I was drinking, I always knew when enough was enough. Some people are not so lucky.

It's interesting that drinking is socially acceptable and even encouraged, but issues around alcohol addiction are not talked about much, not really understood, and for some people can be even more devastating than smoking.

Parallels with tobacco addiction:
    * The non-addicted rarely understand the nature of the addiction
    * The addicted are mostly in denial about the nature of the addiction
    * One group often wants to assert its reality on the other

Good luck, but I think you've got it licked already.

I must tell you about my drinking phase one day Fab, you'd be surpised where little eLicky has been...
    fabricator4 and rockmoose like this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast