Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: One week in and feeling fine

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

One week in and feeling fine

Hi guys,

My story is one of a pack (25) a day smoker for over 40 years. I once managed to quit smoking using patches and stayed clean for 2 years. Then the inevitable happened, just the odd one, then a few days later back to a pack a day.

Anyway, after reading through the forums here at all the wonderful and empowering success stories I decided to give vaping a try. Bought the VK Deluxe Kit, extra charger and a couple of 0mg juices to to start me off, still smoking at this point. Placed an order for nic and a 18mg nic juice from Mixology, plus some PG and VG.

I found that the 18mg was killing my craving after just a couple of puffs, but wasn't really helping with my habit of going outside for a smoke. So I mixed up some 12mg with doublers from VK and found that was just right. I could vape outside for 10 minutes (same as my smoking habit) and that would keep me crave-free for about an hour or so (again similar to my smoking habit).

I am now one week free of the stinkies, only using one tank of juice every 2 days, and am absolutely loving it.

So the key learning for me was finding a way to get enough nic whilst still mirroring the way I was smoking.

Only really tried Peppermint and Menthol Eucalyptus juices so far since they are about as far removed from anything I've smoked and thus remove any memories of tobacco taste.

Now waiting on some other flavours to steep and then I'll give those a try. Bought some extra Aspire ET-S tanks because they are relatively cheap and have been working fine for me so far.

Once again I give thanks to all in these forums for showing that even I can give the stinkies away.

Cheers
    Steve

PS: I've already noticed improved sense of smell and my breathing is no longer raspy
    Flea, gtadmin, btobw and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Cat likes this.
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

Cat
    AVF Regular
    That's excellent! Keep up the great work!
    gtadmin, 1ynne and Yuz like this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    That's excellent! Keep up the great work!
    Ditto (as that was exactly what I was going to post)
    Cat likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
    Hi guys,

My story is one of a pack (25) a day smoker for over 40 years. I once managed to quit smoking using patches and stayed clean for 2 years. Then the inevitable happened, just the odd one, then a few days later back to a pack a day.

Anyway, after reading through the forums here at all the wonderful and empowering success stories I decided to give vaping a try. Bought the VK Deluxe Kit, extra charger and a couple of 0mg juices to to start me off, still smoking at this point. Placed an order for nic and a 18mg nic juice from Mixology, plus some PG and VG.

I found that the 18mg was killing my craving after just a couple of puffs, but wasn't really helping with my habit of going outside for a smoke. So I mixed up some 12mg with doublers from VK and found that was just right. I could vape outside for 10 minutes (same as my smoking habit) and that would keep me crave-free for about an hour or so (again similar to my smoking habit).

I am now one week free of the stinkies, only using one tank of juice every 2 days, and am absolutely loving it.

So the key learning for me was finding a way to get enough nic whilst still mirroring the way I was smoking.

Only really tried Peppermint and Menthol Eucalyptus juices so far since they are about as far removed from anything I've smoked and thus remove any memories of tobacco taste.

Now waiting on some other flavours to steep and then I'll give those a try. Bought some extra Aspire ET-S tanks because they are relatively cheap and have been working fine for me so far.

Once again I give thanks to all in these forums for showing that even I can give the stinkies away.

Cheers
    Steve

PS: I've already noticed improved sense of smell and my breathing is no longer raspy
    Congrats on making the switch Steve!

Is there some overbearing reason for you to go outside and vape? I kind of doubt you've got kids in the house (but could be wrong). I do understand the habit thing only too well - When I started vaping there were a couple of times I'd go to leave the house and find myself wandering around looking for something - I was looking for my smokes which no longer existed, but habit had me trying to find something I didn't need. No wonder I found it so hard to give up smoking. I actually felt relieved when I realised what it was, and that I didn't need to smoke any more because I could vape.

On the going outside thing - I did that too, but only for a short time. It worked something like this - get the urge to smoke, so then get the urge to go outside for some "fresh air" because that's what you did. What I found was that if I had a vape and killed the cravings, the desire to go outside became less. Eventually it would become an inconvenience - especially at night, when it's very cold, or horizontal rain. Especially when it's all three LOL.

The opposite is now true - when I go outside now it's often to do something in the garden and the PV gets left inside - Having a PV in your pocket is an inconvenience when you are working, and you just get dirt and grass in it anyway...

Even with vaping, part of the solution to becoming an ex-smoker is to break the habits that are tied solely to the smoking habit. Vaping inside is really not problem as far as cleanliness and smell is concerned, and you'd have trouble showing secondary harm to to other inhabitants unless you are fogging the room up, something that would be very difficult with a VK starter kit. (Ego bottom coil clearomiser)

So too the issue of vaping when you wouldn't smoke, or vaping more that you would smoke. Vaping whenever you want to is the body's way of self titration. So for example you could maybe use the 12mg/ml all the time, inside, and it will keep your nicotine levels more constant. Only vaping 18mg/ml outside would result in spikes and troughs in nicotine levels that more mimic what you do as a smoker.

What most vapers find in the "vape all the time" scenario is that as the months pass they have to reduce the level of nicotine in the liquid. When you drop the nicotine level the frequency of vaping goes up a bit, and this is normal because it's part of the self titration mechanism. As you get used to the lower nicotine level the vaping frequency drops back again and so on. A lot of vapers, myself included, are of the opinion that nicotine on it's own is not as addictive as tobacco, but you have a process of several months to work though before this becomes self evident.

Just some suggestions from my experience Steve, not telling you how to go about it. No two vapers are exactly the same and you have to find the things that work for you. If you've got any questions or just need to have a chat, definitely jump on here and ask away. We've all been exactly where you are right now.
    1ynne, ybnice, rockmoose and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Congrats on your first week - well done ! You sound like you have made a great start - I still go outside to vape... it is part of my routine.. and my thinking time.. only now I don't feel guilty - or smell awful anymore (mind you on a cold grey winters day its nice not to have to go outside lol) next comes the experimenting with flavors... oh its a slippery slope of experimenting to find what suits you - but it IS fun
    Last edited by 1ynne; 17-02-17 at 12:59 PM.
    fabricator4, rockmoose and Cat like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    I hate going outside to vape, the wind stuffs up my cloud direction and it goes all over the place.
    Inside, it's a nice continuous rising cloud with no interference from the elements.
    1ynne, Cat and Sully like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks for all the supportive dialogue, it really is a great help.

Regards the going outside. It is purely habit and one that I don't mind since it forces me to take a break, especially when at work. It's like a reset for the brain and a chance to stretch my legs.

I have been an outside "smoker" for over 25 years so it's quite ingrained. Also, I have a 13yo daughter who doesn't know that I have ever smoked, so that secret must be maintained. Although she doesn't live with me full time I still have stay overnight from time to time. So secret bathroom vaping will be far better than the stinkies.

I'm sure that over time I will vape indoors and slowly start to chip at away at the habits, but discretion and habit will be the way for now.

Fab I fully agree with what you are saying and that will ultimately be my goal, but baby steps it is for at the moment.

I am totally overwhelmed by all the support you guys provide. Way better than some of the "official" quit forums.

AVF Regular
    Well done SteveMD!
    ......and welcome to AVF
    Cat likes this.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    I have to admit I vape a lot more often than when I used to go outside for a smoke, or just before I began vaping, a "cone" of tobacco once an hour...
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast