Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Five years into this journey, my story - all the way from Texas!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Five years into this journey, my story - all the way from Texas!

Hello, Aussie Vapers! I shared my story in another thread and it was requested that I archive it in here. Thank you all for your kindness, and not feeding me to the sharks.

My name is Jeremy. I'm a full-time single parent of 2 boys, ages 6 and 7, from from Houston, Texas. While celebrating my 33rd birthday with them (ages 1 and 2 then), I came to the disturbing realization that I had been a smoker for 20 years, starting at the ripe age of 13. TWENTY YEARS! But I was only 33, how is that possible? That's roughly 2/3 of my life I spent voluntarily damaging my lungs, which the pie chart on the info-graphic that appeared in my head clearly communicated. It was a hard figure to swallow .Like most parents, my wish is to stick around on this earth long enough to see my boys grow up, have families of their own, and be there for them when they need me. I felt I were to have any chance of seeing this through, I needed to do something.

My father had been suggesting I give e-cigs a try, so I started researching, but where to start? What was I even looking for? Luckily, it wasn't long before my searches landed me on the doorstep of ECF. Its vast wealth of information and educational resources was invaluable as a new vaper, and I absorbed as much info as I could. But what I wasn't expecting, what completely blew me away was how passionate and eager every single member of this massive community was to help anyone out with anything, anytime, so they could navigate their way through these uncharted waters. It didn't matter if your question was how long to boil your boge cartos, or what the hell is the condom fill and taryn spin method? There was always someone willing to spend half of their morning providing you with an excessively detailed step-by-step photo tutorial explaining the best known method to date, which was usually outdated by the following week. The instant comradery was unbelievable, and quite infectious too.

So with the guidance and advice received on the forums, I ordered my first starter kit in June, 2012, with skepticism and zero expectations of course. After the first few days with this contraption, I figured I'd go smoke a real one. It tasted so terrible I couldn't even finish it, and haven't looked back since. I spent the first couple years buying every tasty sounding juice and shiny new device on the planet. The most exciting technology back then was vision spinners and Vivi nova tanks, game changers. As I became more experienced and knowledgeable I contributed to the forums and helped when I could, but the single parent lifestyle doesn’t allow much time in the day for posting on forums, Facebook, or pretty much any internet activity whatsoever.

Throughout this journey I have nagged, pestered, and annoyed about 15 friends, co-workers, and family members until they successfully gave up smoking and started on their own vaping journey. I don’t really get out much….This harassment was usually accompanied by an overly detailed email I spent half my morning writing, explaining exactly what they need to get started, links where to buy everything, and why I'm recommending these products. I have no idea where the inspiration for things like that come from. One of my biggest accomplishments were a co-worker who had been rolling his own cigarettes and carrying around a bag of tobacco for 40 years. Now he rebuilds his coils and I keep him stocked with DIY juice. He refuses to venture beyond the only flavor he's ever vaped - black cherry, but he's happy. I just couldn't let him continue getting gouged by retail prices for what costs me less than a buck. Another friend of mine that I got started vaping and was worried he'd gone back to smoking. Turns out he actually opened up his own vape shop, so I suppose I can stop worrying now. Another major feat was my sister. This was a grueling 2 year process because she wouldn′t take the time to educate herself on the forums like I suggested. She would get frustrated and have so many issues with refilling and leaking etc. that she would be back smoking in no time.
    Finally, after buying her numerous devices to make her vaping experience enjoyable, she actually clicked on the links I sent her years ago to the ECF forum tutorials and she finally gets it! She recently moved to Peru to teach English, so I made about 500 ml of some popular clone recipes to take with her.

Well that's a bit of my vaping journey, enjoy! It only took me 2 days to write in small increments in between t-ball games and making shrimp alfredo. I sure am going to be tired tomorrow.

AVF Regular
    Great story Jeremy! Thanks for sharing.

AVF is Australia's version of ECF as you probably know. It's a very important resource because Australians can't buy nicotine over the counter and this presents some special challenges for anyone wanting to even try vaping. One thing that is clear from visiting many vaping forums all over the world though, is that vapers taken as a group are some of the nicest and most caring people you are likely to meet anywhere.
    MrGruffy and Jemor like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Wow what an awesome journey! Well done

AVF Regular
    Welcome Jeremy! Congrats on the 5 years
    2/12/2016

AVF Regular
    Onya munchichee! Great story......you shall be rewarded!

AVF Regular

Five years into this journey, my story - all the way from Texas!

What a great story Jeremy. I have two boys of my own and they are my reasons for me to stop smoking and to find something to help me prolong my days on earth with them even by just a day and vaping was the answer.
    Your story is a great inspiration and thank you for sharing it

AVF Regular
    Well done Jeremy, an inspiration to all! :thumbsup:

AVF Regular
    Very delicious achievement.
    ""Tootle Puffer" on Starter Kits.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Welcome Jeremy
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular