Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sharing my story

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Sharing my story

Hey guys as i am coming close to 1 year of making the best decision to switch to Vaping thought I'd share a little bit of my own experiences with everyone!

Okay so probably a bit over a year ago the Mrs bought me a little cheap non refillable pen without nicotine online. This was my first introduction, I was still smoking and I wasn't really planning on switching at the time, but what that did was introduce me to a little bit of flavour etc and I enjoyed it, I finished the so called '500 puffs' pen in a couple days mainly while driving etc.

Now we moved into a new place and the landlord allowed smoking inside so I was, but it started to trigger my girls asthma and I couldn't really be bothered going outside for a smoke so I thought 'okay I liked the other little pen maybe I'll buy myself a refillable one' so I bought a very overpriced ego style pen vape, I was expecting clouds because I just associated that with vapes and when I got it I was rather dissapointed with the cloud size and the flavours (got myself some tobacco and ry4 I actually like the ry4 however)

When I got my ego pen however was when I made the switch to Vaping. Now a few months later I had a mate come round, he didn't know I was Vaping, I didn't know he was Vaping either, but he had brought around a higher wattage reg mod with a dripper and that's when the seed really got planted, while I could only take small tokes without coughing my lungs up I was amazed with the flavour, was some kind of strawberry custard, and seeing the clouds he was chucking I was set, I did some research and found out what sub ohm was and that it was what I was ultimately looking for, so I got a little subohm starter kit online and my mate had given me a couple bottles of different flavour to try and I was off chucking clouds loving the flavour etc still not smoking so that was a good thing.

After a while my mate gave me his setup and upgraded his. I was still intimidated with the thought of wrapping coils and ohms law etc so he chucked some coils and set it up, and I kept researching learning more and more. Then feb this year I made my first 'real vape' purchase I still had a sub tank with it but I had my mod a tank and dripper, battery charger, tool kit and ohm meter, now I was set. Quickly I learned that rebuilding wasn't something that was overly hard as I had originally thought and I was wrapping my own coils and whatnot out of premade wire etc and got a good hang of that. Still not smoking.

Now I was enjoying where I was at but I was reading all this stuff about mechanical mods and I was curious, at first I got me a vv unregulated mod thinking it was like a mech which it really isn't but it was a good intro for me to be extra cautious about my resistance and batteries etc but I knew I still wanted a tube mod. I researched and researched and researched everything from batteries types of builds etc, and got myself a mech tube. I was unimpressed at first, tried fused claptons, claptons, plain wire until I read of parallel builds. I tried a parallel kanthal build, hey this is better not quite there but better. Then I'm like well if I can run two why can't I run 3... Now I was in business I found out the appeal for mechs having the vape totally customisable purely on the build. Then I found nichrome, and it changed my world, I could run any build from plain builds to fused claptons and the ramp up was minimal and it hit a bit harder, perfect.

I went on buying mods and drippers and rta's and rdta's and everything comfortable where I was at for a while, seeing all these intricate builds on IG I was curious as to how they would vape but I couldn't find them anywhere, I'm talking builds like helix staples etc. Being a handyman myself I already had a drill so I though stuff it, I'll try building wire. I learned freehand first after watching squidoode vids on YT, I got pretty confident with that but I struggled a little bit but yeah within about 2 weeks I could make helixes claptons fused claptons aliens, basically everything I could with the wire I had, then I got me some swivels and more wire and another week later turning an alien framed staple was the norm, staple staggereds, stitched aliens, interlocked aliens etc etc. Still definately not smoking, Vaping was now as much of a hobby to me as is art.

Now about 2 months ago, I started dabbling in diy, and that brings me to now, I've made a few recipes online but over the past month my hearts been set on creating my perfect flavour, my latest version is currently steeping, I had a little drip after one day steep and I think I've got it where I want it, but I'll let it steep a little longer before deciding that.

And that pretty much brings us to today, and that's my story, around a year off the stinkies and gained myself a new hobby, can't ask for much more then that. 13 years of smoking was habit not hobby but Vaping has saved my future potentially (still a 27year old youngin) and I have something I enjoy doing with my friends.

What's your story?
    Fatman, Cath Mort, btobw and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Great write up and congrats on such a whirlwind journey.
    ChefOne likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Great write up and congrats on such a whirlwind journey.
    Thanks It's definately been a quick ride but one that I've enjoyed the whole way through, my only problem now is I dare say it'll be something I won't stop out of just enjoyment even after tapering completely off nic.. Down to 3mg currently thinking of dropping to 1.5mg maybe soon

AVF Regular
    I am sure you will find a happy balance.

I was a chronic 50 a day smoker so after 40years of smoking i have no plan to stop vaping or even nicotine. I started at 8mg and have dropped by accident to 6mg.
    Cath Mort and stylemessiah like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Yeah I don't really plan to taper off nicotine but it's just kinda happening after a while on one level of Nic I just start getting head spins and whatnot and I have to drop the nic haha, I don't think I want to stop Vaping though I enjoy it way too much
    Crisscross and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Welcome to AVF and great intro

I often wonder how many people would actually stick to vaping if they couldn't buy different gear/juice etc. I know a lot of people find
    their perfect vape and say they are content but are still buying other bits n pieces and/or visiting forums and keeping up to date with
    everything. I reckon the hobby aspect is definitely a huge part of it for most of us.
    gtadmin, stylemessiah and ChefOne like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Welcome to AVF and great intro

I often wonder how many people would actually stick to vaping if they couldn't buy different gear/juice etc. I know a lot of people find
    their perfect vape and say they are content but are still buying other bits n pieces and/or visiting forums and keeping up to date with
    everything. I reckon the hobby aspect is definitely a huge part of it for most of us.

That's so true, currently I'm not working and receiving Centrelink because of medical reasons and this is the order of importance in how I spend my money... Rent>Vape products>Food hahaha, that's not to say I don't buy food I just buy cheap food hahaha

I probably have enough products now that if we had some sort of apocalypse I could still vape for some time.. With mech mods not really able to die my only limiting factors would be my stock of Nic/vg/flavours and power to charge batteries haha
    btobw and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Congrats, welcome to AVF. Always good to see more young pups around this place

I often wonder how many people would actually stick to vaping if they couldn't buy different gear/juice etc.
    i gave it a try last year, gave away all my stuff and started with a blank slate.
    1 mod, 1 tank, coils, nic, vg, pg, 1 flavour trying to spend less then $100.
    Final total was $120, i failed due to a Kingy leaving HoV scare.

Was a lot of fun though and i could do cheaper next time around with companies like basedrop shipping mass amounts of pg/vg

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefOne View Post
    That's so true, currently I'm not working and receiving Centrelink because of medical reasons and this is the order of importance in how I spend my money... Rent>Vape products>Food hahaha, that's not to say I don't buy food I just buy cheap food hahaha

I probably have enough products now that if we had some sort of apocalypse I could still vape for some time.. With mech mods not really able to die my only limiting factors would be my stock of Nic/vg/flavours and power to charge batteries haha

lol yeah I was also like that when I smoked though. Nicotine has always been a priority over food and most other things for me.
    Smoko breaks were always just that too Probably another reason people gain weight when they quit.....more money for food
    and more time to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    i gave it a try last year, gave away all my stuff and started with a blank slate.
    1 mod, 1 tank, coils, nic, vg, pg, 1 flavour trying to spend less then $100.
    Final total was $120, i failed due to a Kingy leaving HoV scare.

Was a lot of fun though and i could do cheaper next time around with companies like basedrop shipping mass amounts of pg/vg
    I couldn't do it and the reason I think about it a lot is because of how well my parents are doing. For the last 3 years or so they
    have just vaped two different juices and pretty much the same gear they successfully quit with as their main vape. They don't
    keep up with all the latest and greatest as I do all their vape shopping. They are just really content with what they have and
    doing it pretty easy.

lol yeah I was also like that when I smoked though. Nicotine has always been a priority over food and most other things for me.
    Smoko breaks were always just that too Probably another reason people gain weight when they quit.....more money for food
    and more time to eat
    Yeah I can relate to that somewhat, although I did try go cheap with smoking, rolling up chop kinda cheap, I probably spend more money on vape hardware then I did on cigarettes, example I'm waiting on about $300 worth of hardware to arrive currently, but it's a little different for me, I don't really factor in hardware costs into what I'm saving from smoking as I've said it's become a hobby and it's a hobby that's really taken over for me haha. I don't mind though, years ago all my money went on that dreaded rock even before ciggies so I find this much more productive haha
    Tara likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast