Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Just converted, a bit annoyed

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Great post Ozman and congrats on quitting.

I am out in the backwoods and have only ever come across one other vaper in my local area. If not for the help and advice from this forum , my vaping journey would have ended when greensmoke cartridges could no longer be bought from the US a year after quitting 27 years of smokingand I would have been back on the ciggies. Thankfully I found this forum and learnt enough with the advice of others to find myself with a basic setup that works for me and gathered enough spares etc to keep me going . I provided some info for my brother when he asked but as far as I know he is still happily smoking. If someone asks me how it works I will explain, and if they want to learn more I generally point them here, but it is a rare occurence down this way
    I have been on unflavoured for the past 2.5 years since I had to go into hospital and cant see myself going back to flavours.
    Wd convert it's not about what works for others but what works for you. What work's for me will not work for you but may work for joe bloggs.

Congrats on so long off the darts u have well and truly outdone me at a meager 15 months.
    Kepp the good work up champ. And vape on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    fabricator4, Convert and ozman like this.

AVF Regular
    Well done & on the post as well Ozman.
    There are a lot of people on the same page as you, as I am. To my way of thinking it's a lot about the mindset of giving up the cigs and finding whether vaping is the slot for you. It's damn hard to not be evangelical when you have the experience under your belt if it has worked for you. As for the politics and other agenda, that clarifies the position of those with the clout in our welfare as a community & calls them out somewhat. Welcome.
    ozman likes this.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ozman View Post
    So yeah, g'day all, just into this whole adventure, I thought I'd stop in after using this place as one of my first decent research sources. I suppose an immediate thing to answer is why 'a bit annoyed'. Well, to give some background my story isn't much different to anyone else's, smoker of 27 years who enjoyed smoking, tried all the snake oil on the market that was meant to magically make me not want ciggers anymore. There was always a lot of pressure from friends and family that I should just quit, but as I just mentioned, I actually enjoyed the little breaks of solitude where I take a puff and reflect, I couldn't imagine just stopping, and I was also hooked (I know, I know, all in the mind, right?). Which is why conventional methods to quit didn't work, I was not motivated enough to quit. I wasn't a hugely heavy smoker, maybe 4 30 packs a week. Never smoke at work, in fact my colleagues didn't even know I was a smoker... That came about from all the anti-smoking campaigns, people by nature need something/someone to hate, and smokers are an easy and frequent target, so I stopped smoking at work many years ago, and after moving to different job positions I was essentially a non-smoker to everyone around me. I actually went to pretty great lengths to keep that knowledge really protected.

That was the past, moving on to the present and closer to the point, just over a week ago a friend who is one of those constant naggers for me to stop actually came up with something constructive in conversation. He told me that he was away at a party with family and one of them was outside blowing great plumes of smoke that wasn't horrible. In a nutshell he had a chat about it and discovered this guy had stopped using ciggers for this new vaping thing. That was the message that he brought back to me, and something went 'click'. At this point I can understand everyone screaming at the monitor that this is a major point for lots of people to be vaping, people have been doing it for years, this is old, even ancient news. Well that's pretty much why I'm pretty peeved off. I am a guy who keeps up with researching new things, I'm extremely tech savvy, very much onto the internet, smartphones and Youtube, but somehow I missed the boat on vaping up until now. How could I have? It could have been a bit different if I was in a city mixing with all the so-called hipsters, but I'm in the back woods and don't mix much socially - I also wouldn't think vaping would be very socially acceptable here but haven't tested that yet. I'm annoyed because every time I came across vaping in my normal information channels in online news, sometimes television news (I generally ignore the idiot box), it was all bad news. "Vaping device EXPLODES in kid's face". "Government not budging on vaping laws due to health fears". On and on, it was a side topic that never clicked for me because that was what I was fed. My mainstream news and information sources kept me distanced from the very thing that would save me. No news article ever jumped out stating that smokers are moving to vaping as a safer alternative, that was the message that I was missing. I thought vaping was just 'some new cool fad that could also kill you'. I ignored most articles on vaping because I was conditioned to, pretty much for the same reasons I ignored that 'hover board fad' (deservedly so in that case). What the hell?

At that point I went on to learn about the same things that many members here have known for much longer - that vaping saves smokers' lives. I'm really annoyed writing this, how many years have passed where this very cure for smoking has existed under my very nose and how could there have been such an active, coordinated effort to keep it out of my hands? That's pretty much all history for me now. On the 6th November 2017 I filled my new Endura T20 with imported Kentucky Fine 12mg and waited for 15 minutes or so for the coil to be ready to run without being dry. In that time I had my final cigarette, I had high expectations for this moment. I wasn't disappointed. In the first vape I haven't looked back and resolved to not, I still have a pack and a half of ciggers untouched. I don't wake up hacking up my lungs anymore and some smell is even coming back. I've in the meantime imported over a litre of 100mg nic (now placed in 100ml smoked glass bottles in the freezer), some PG and VG, and intend on trying out flavourless. Also got my second T20 as a backup today after reading yet more advice off these forums (have a backup unit - also got spare coils). I can worry about getting a 'better' unit later. In the meantime I continue to enjoy my alone time, taking a puff, reflecting, using something that will not kill me, I don't stink, doesn't cost a small fortune, and I can actually feel pretty good about - pleasure with no regrets.

So far I've kept this self-directed science experiment to myself, nobody knows what I did (not even my wife), but it'll come to light, I'm not actively hiding it, I'm just not actively showing it off - it did start off as an experiment after-all. My goal now is to get this message to every smoker I know, give them the gift of the trigger that was given to me to go off searching and find out what this is about. This movement can really snowball I think, beyond just a few hardcore smokers I think most want to move on, it's a matter of getting that 95% better message out. Even the 95% message is BS, they just reserved 5% for possible bad chemicals in flavours I think. Regretfully I doubt we'll ever see any laws overturned, I just hope the responsible agencies don't start actively coming after us. That's something I'd love to be proved wrong on.
    First off, r.e. ignoring the idiot box - good, keep doing that! If more people did, there'd be way less douchebaggery in this world.

And secondly, the paternalistic attitude our government is taking with vaping drives me up the wall too! Given that every other country is embracing it as the harm minimisation measure it actually represents, it's ludicrous that they're taking the hard-line stance they've chosen in relation to it compared to cigarettes. I put it down to, they can't tax it yet, therefore they're anti- losing out on all the big bucks smokers are shelling out, regardless of the cost in terms of health & welfare. Pfft - idiots.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    ozman likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement! The pack & a half of ciggers I still have still remains untouched and I'm feeling great. My wife since found out what I'm up to, and whilst sceptical she's much happier with this than the alternative. Getting any kind of encouragement is hard (encouragement is not sought after really, but mainly trying to keep those in the know positive), and I suppose for many of us encouragement can only be found online in friendly places like this (which is good because we can all learn from one another). I even had a bit of a discussion with my father today who also quizzed me on it, and although he is in total disagreement with the whole thing, the one thing we could agree on is this option is better than cigarettes, but he remains convinced that this will kill you too. Some people will never be convinced.

It has only been 5 weeks but I still have no intention of going back to those remaining cigarettes I have. I held onto them as my own scepticism of how well this would go and not to waste, but I think soon I'll be comfortable just to throw them into the rubbish.
    Convert, Danny76, FXVaper and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Congrats to you Ozman and a big well done. Personally, if people see me vaping and want to know the “ins and outs”, I just refer them to this website, and specify the Newbies section. Job done, minimal explanation required as I know this forum will look after new enquirers with encouragement and respect
    LustStarrr and ozman like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ozman View Post
    So yeah, g'day all, just into this whole adventure, I thought I'd stop in after using this place as one of my first decent research sources. I suppose an immediate thing to answer is why 'a bit annoyed'. Well, to give some background my story isn't much different to anyone else's, smoker of 27 years who enjoyed smoking, tried all the snake oil on the market that was meant to magically make me not want ciggers anymore. There was always a lot of pressure from friends and family that I should just quit, but as I just mentioned, I actually enjoyed the little breaks of solitude where I take a puff and reflect, I couldn't imagine just stopping, and I was also hooked (I know, I know, all in the mind, right?). Which is why conventional methods to quit didn't work, I was not motivated enough to quit. I wasn't a hugely heavy smoker, maybe 4 30 packs a week. Never smoke at work, in fact my colleagues didn't even know I was a smoker... That came about from all the anti-smoking campaigns, people by nature need something/someone to hate, and smokers are an easy and frequent target, so I stopped smoking at work many years ago, and after moving to different job positions I was essentially a non-smoker to everyone around me. I actually went to pretty great lengths to keep that knowledge really protected.

That was the past, moving on to the present and closer to the point, just over a week ago a friend who is one of those constant naggers for me to stop actually came up with something constructive in conversation. He told me that he was away at a party with family and one of them was outside blowing great plumes of smoke that wasn't horrible. In a nutshell he had a chat about it and discovered this guy had stopped using ciggers for this new vaping thing. That was the message that he brought back to me, and something went 'click'. At this point I can understand everyone screaming at the monitor that this is a major point for lots of people to be vaping, people have been doing it for years, this is old, even ancient news. Well that's pretty much why I'm pretty peeved off. I am a guy who keeps up with researching new things, I'm extremely tech savvy, very much onto the internet, smartphones and Youtube, but somehow I missed the boat on vaping up until now. How could I have? It could have been a bit different if I was in a city mixing with all the so-called hipsters, but I'm in the back woods and don't mix much socially - I also wouldn't think vaping would be very socially acceptable here but haven't tested that yet. I'm annoyed because every time I came across vaping in my normal information channels in online news, sometimes television news (I generally ignore the idiot box), it was all bad news. "Vaping device EXPLODES in kid's face". "Government not budging on vaping laws due to health fears". On and on, it was a side topic that never clicked for me because that was what I was fed. My mainstream news and information sources kept me distanced from the very thing that would save me. No news article ever jumped out stating that smokers are moving to vaping as a safer alternative, that was the message that I was missing. I thought vaping was just 'some new cool fad that could also kill you'. I ignored most articles on vaping because I was conditioned to, pretty much for the same reasons I ignored that 'hover board fad' (deservedly so in that case). What the hell?

At that point I went on to learn about the same things that many members here have known for much longer - that vaping saves smokers' lives. I'm really annoyed writing this, how many years have passed where this very cure for smoking has existed under my very nose and how could there have been such an active, coordinated effort to keep it out of my hands? That's pretty much all history for me now. On the 6th November 2017 I filled my new Endura T20 with imported Kentucky Fine 12mg and waited for 15 minutes or so for the coil to be ready to run without being dry. In that time I had my final cigarette, I had high expectations for this moment. I wasn't disappointed. In the first vape I haven't looked back and resolved to not, I still have a pack and a half of ciggers untouched. I don't wake up hacking up my lungs anymore and some smell is even coming back. I've in the meantime imported over a litre of 100mg nic (now placed in 100ml smoked glass bottles in the freezer), some PG and VG, and intend on trying out flavourless. Also got my second T20 as a backup today after reading yet more advice off these forums (have a backup unit - also got spare coils). I can worry about getting a 'better' unit later. In the meantime I continue to enjoy my alone time, taking a puff, reflecting, using something that will not kill me, I don't stink, doesn't cost a small fortune, and I can actually feel pretty good about - pleasure with no regrets.

So far I've kept this self-directed science experiment to myself, nobody knows what I did (not even my wife), but it'll come to light, I'm not actively hiding it, I'm just not actively showing it off - it did start off as an experiment after-all. My goal now is to get this message to every smoker I know, give them the gift of the trigger that was given to me to go off searching and find out what this is about. This movement can really snowball I think, beyond just a few hardcore smokers I think most want to move on, it's a matter of getting that 95% better message out. Even the 95% message is BS, they just reserved 5% for possible bad chemicals in flavours I think. Regretfully I doubt we'll ever see any laws overturned, I just hope the responsible agencies don't start actively coming after us. That's something I'd love to be proved wrong on.
    You'll get there little buddy!!
    floorzone2 and ozman like this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12