Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Just converted, a bit annoyed

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Just converted, a bit annoyed

So yeah, g'day all, just into this whole adventure, I thought I'd stop in after using this place as one of my first decent research sources. I suppose an immediate thing to answer is why 'a bit annoyed'. Well, to give some background my story isn't much different to anyone else's, smoker of 27 years who enjoyed smoking, tried all the snake oil on the market that was meant to magically make me not want ciggers anymore. There was always a lot of pressure from friends and family that I should just quit, but as I just mentioned, I actually enjoyed the little breaks of solitude where I take a puff and reflect, I couldn't imagine just stopping, and I was also hooked (I know, I know, all in the mind, right?). Which is why conventional methods to quit didn't work, I was not motivated enough to quit. I wasn't a hugely heavy smoker, maybe 4 30 packs a week. Never smoke at work, in fact my colleagues didn't even know I was a smoker... That came about from all the anti-smoking campaigns, people by nature need something/someone to hate, and smokers are an easy and frequent target, so I stopped smoking at work many years ago, and after moving to different job positions I was essentially a non-smoker to everyone around me. I actually went to pretty great lengths to keep that knowledge really protected.

That was the past, moving on to the present and closer to the point, just over a week ago a friend who is one of those constant naggers for me to stop actually came up with something constructive in conversation. He told me that he was away at a party with family and one of them was outside blowing great plumes of smoke that wasn't horrible. In a nutshell he had a chat about it and discovered this guy had stopped using ciggers for this new vaping thing. That was the message that he brought back to me, and something went 'click'. At this point I can understand everyone screaming at the monitor that this is a major point for lots of people to be vaping, people have been doing it for years, this is old, even ancient news. Well that's pretty much why I'm pretty peeved off. I am a guy who keeps up with researching new things, I'm extremely tech savvy, very much onto the internet, smartphones and Youtube, but somehow I missed the boat on vaping up until now. How could I have? It could have been a bit different if I was in a city mixing with all the so-called hipsters, but I'm in the back woods and don't mix much socially - I also wouldn't think vaping would be very socially acceptable here but haven't tested that yet. I'm annoyed because every time I came across vaping in my normal information channels in online news, sometimes television news (I generally ignore the idiot box), it was all bad news. "Vaping device EXPLODES in kid's face". "Government not budging on vaping laws due to health fears". On and on, it was a side topic that never clicked for me because that was what I was fed. My mainstream news and information sources kept me distanced from the very thing that would save me. No news article ever jumped out stating that smokers are moving to vaping as a safer alternative, that was the message that I was missing. I thought vaping was just 'some new cool fad that could also kill you'. I ignored most articles on vaping because I was conditioned to, pretty much for the same reasons I ignored that 'hover board fad' (deservedly so in that case). What the hell?

At that point I went on to learn about the same things that many members here have known for much longer - that vaping saves smokers' lives. I'm really annoyed writing this, how many years have passed where this very cure for smoking has existed under my very nose and how could there have been such an active, coordinated effort to keep it out of my hands? That's pretty much all history for me now. On the 6th November 2017 I filled my new Endura T20 with imported Kentucky Fine 12mg and waited for 15 minutes or so for the coil to be ready to run without being dry. In that time I had my final cigarette, I had high expectations for this moment. I wasn't disappointed. In the first vape I haven't looked back and resolved to not, I still have a pack and a half of ciggers untouched. I don't wake up hacking up my lungs anymore and some smell is even coming back. I've in the meantime imported over a litre of 100mg nic (now placed in 100ml smoked glass bottles in the freezer), some PG and VG, and intend on trying out flavourless. Also got my second T20 as a backup today after reading yet more advice off these forums (have a backup unit - also got spare coils). I can worry about getting a 'better' unit later. In the meantime I continue to enjoy my alone time, taking a puff, reflecting, using something that will not kill me, I don't stink, doesn't cost a small fortune, and I can actually feel pretty good about - pleasure with no regrets.

So far I've kept this self-directed science experiment to myself, nobody knows what I did (not even my wife), but it'll come to light, I'm not actively hiding it, I'm just not actively showing it off - it did start off as an experiment after-all. My goal now is to get this message to every smoker I know, give them the gift of the trigger that was given to me to go off searching and find out what this is about. This movement can really snowball I think, beyond just a few hardcore smokers I think most want to move on, it's a matter of getting that 95% better message out. Even the 95% message is BS, they just reserved 5% for possible bad chemicals in flavours I think. Regretfully I doubt we'll ever see any laws overturned, I just hope the responsible agencies don't start actively coming after us. That's something I'd love to be proved wrong on.
    Last edited by ozman; 16-11-17 at 10:45 PM.
    Flea, giruvian, Fatman and 12 others like this.

AVF Regular
    A very familiar story Ozman.

First: (pissed off) Hey this works, why didn't I find out sooner (except for a few old timers like fatman - he's been at it since the beginning, just about. and a few others.) I was a late starter - 2013.

Second: (shock) Hey they are lying to us. These idiots in public health are making sure that the only things available are cigarettes, which kill, and NRT which doesn't, but it doesn't work either so you keep flipping back and forth between them.

Third: (enthusiasm) I'm going to convert every smoker I meet to Vaping!!!!!

Fourth: (Activism) Contact your local MP, senators etc, write letters, get really mad, then disillusioned.

Fifth: (rinse and repeat) Go back to number two. LOL

Seriously though, congrats for finding out about vaping, and making a go of it. It's the single best thing you can do for your health. I don't know your exact age, but there's a good chance you've added ten years to your life expectancy, regardless of that "5%".

As far as converting smokers is concerned, well that's a hard one. Some people seem to be very successful at it. I've got a few friends vaping, but only the ones that were well and truly ready to make a change in their life already. I'm probably too pushy (ie over enthusiastic). Remember what is the best way to make a smoker avoid you at all costs? Try to convince him that he should want to give up smoking.

The most common cause of failure though, is doing everything for them. If they don't order the hardware and liquids, and coils etc themselves, when it runs out they just go back to smoking again. Make 'em work for it, and learn how to do it for themselves. If they want to, they will do it.
    margyb, Fatman, Northerner and 5 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Yeah, thanks mate, I know this is a well trod road. As for age I'm a whippersnapper, a week or so from 46. I don't plan on being an activist, often that works in the negative. I just want to work on planting the seed in people and then let them decide on what they want to do. I get you on having people doing it for themselves, I had to do all of that from scratch, starting from the fear I'd have federal police turning up at my house with my parcel asking me to explain what's in it. I at least want to get people past that fear and a possible way to experiment on the cure. I know starting stories are so cliche, people just need to realise how little information or motivation smokers have for moving to vaping. I owe a great gratitude to this forum for all the information I could dig up to start myself off.
    Dhufish likes this.

AVF Regular
    I loved smoking as well and I was happy to continue. But the cost got to me, plain and simple I could not afford to smoke any more and didn't want to go the chop chop path. I only came to know about vaping after bumping into someone doing it, I asked, then I researched, purchased, vaped, stopped smoking. This was March 2015 and I to thought why didn't I know about this sooner, not like they were invented the day before. But I'm still happy that at that point I did come across vaping and made the switch.

I think with the laws in this country vaping has been hushed up by many not wanting to rock the boat. But that is changing and it's getting more known, heck there is even news stories now. Soon enough laws will have to change and hopefully health starts to support it.
    Last edited by Cams; 17-11-17 at 10:01 AM.
    DocM, Danny76 and ozman like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Great story oz, and very common. Your tale sounds remarkably like mine, you are about a month older than me, and you started vaping a year after me. We are almost doppelgangers.

As has already been pointed out, be very careful about pushing your new found knowledge and excitement onto smokers. I can't stop myself talking about how amazing it is, but find it always best if I only spew forth the information when someone is genuinely interested. Other disinterested parties will often prick up their ears, listen and take the info away to ponder for themselves. They have a much greater chance of turning to vaping that way, than they would by having it rammed down their throat by some evangelical ranter (which is how I would generally be viewed).

So welcome, and I look forward to seeing you on the dark side (squonking), at some point in the future.

At war with technology.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Great post ozman.

Lots of vapers are a bit evangelical in the early days. I certainly was for the first year or two, and actually did successfully convert a few, but it started to feel a bit too much like being on a "mission from God" and I got bored with myself. These days I'd rather talk about anything but vaping when I'm out and about and save the vape chat for when I'm online.

Now ecigs are starting to get more positive media, there's more curious smokers wanting to ask questions, which is a wonderful thing of course, but personally I'm finding it harder and harder to find those lovely breaks of solitude and reflection, especially on night shift which seems to be a popular shift for smokers. Maybe that's why they call it the graveyard shift.

I still try to answer with what I know - where to get the hardware, the juice, the nic, how to mix, how much safer they are than smoking and an explanation of the legal black spots, etc etc. But if I'm cranky, and I really do want to be alone, and if the person asking is someone annoying, I have been known to just say "Google it" and walk away. That's why I often stealth vape these days, for a bit of peace and quiet.

It really would be so much easier if vape shops could sell nic juice and just be free to do what they're best at, helping newbies, demonstrating hardware and allowing juice testing. Until that finally happens (and I believe it will one day) the internet is pretty much all that many people have for info and support.
    chris_vaper, Danny76 and ozman like this.

AVF Regular
    I have a feeling NSW will be first to allow NIC juice in vape shops.

AVF Regular
    Love this story! It would have made a great submission!
    Rose, fabricator4, Tara and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I love your style

You are amazingly across not only vaping, but the politics as well.

Well done on quitting

Please keep contributing, cheers FX
    ozman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Great post Ozman and congrats on quitting.

I am out in the backwoods and have only ever come across one other vaper in my local area. If not for the help and advice from this forum , my vaping journey would have ended when greensmoke cartridges could no longer be bought from the US a year after quitting 27 years of smokingand I would have been back on the ciggies. Thankfully I found this forum and learnt enough with the advice of others to find myself with a basic setup that works for me and gathered enough spares etc to keep me going . I provided some info for my brother when he asked but as far as I know he is still happily smoking. If someone asks me how it works I will explain, and if they want to learn more I generally point them here, but it is a rare occurence down this way
    I have been on unflavoured for the past 2.5 years since I had to go into hospital and cant see myself going back to flavours.
    fabricator4 and Danny76 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast