Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677
Like Tree1453Likes

Thread: The "What are you eating / Did you cook" thread!

AVF Regular
    I made ramen for dinner. Does that count?

As in made the noodles from scratch, Mrs. Schtoo made the soup and toppings.

Kinda mad making it at home when there are plenty of decent places about, but just wanted to try it and see how they turned out. They were every bit as good as the best we've had, and way above average. For here, not there. Anyone who claims it's all in the soup hasn't ever actually had decent ramen noodles. Maybe too much trouble considering what's readily available around here, but I'll probably make more in the future anyway.

Same goes for gyoza. Anyone who says the skins are merely a covering has never eaten anything but crap.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    I made ramen for dinner. Does that count?

As in made the noodles from scratch, Mrs. Schtoo made the soup and toppings.

Kinda mad making it at home when there are plenty of decent places about, but just wanted to try it and see how they turned out. They were every bit as good as the best we've had, and way above average. For here, not there. Anyone who claims it's all in the soup hasn't ever actually had decent ramen noodles. Maybe too much trouble considering what's readily available around here, but I'll probably make more in the future anyway.

Same goes for gyoza. Anyone who says the skins are merely a covering has never eaten anything but crap.

Stu.
    I like to make my own pasta, but sometimes there's simply not enough time to mess around. It's definitely a process I stuffed up a few times before getting it right. Since my parents were English and growing up in the 60's and 70's we never saw any type of pasta being made. It was one of the arcane arts

Do you use kansui? I would presume so. I don't think you can even buy it here (certainly not Mackay LOL) so I think I'd have to use baking soda, but it's not the same thing.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Cant' find kansui here easily either, note the location of 'Backwater'? That might be changing soon though...

I used baking soda, baked for an hour at 150C to change it into sodium carbonate. a teaspoon in a cup of warm water to 2 cups of plain (high gluten) flour. Nothing fancy, nothing special. Adjust for whatever you got to get a dry dough.

What we all noticed (me, Mrs. Schtoo and her mum) was that it went yellow instantly, and the smell coming off the dough was 'ramen'. Stupid simple, but the dough kinda needs to either rest for a while (to get the flour wetted out well) or make it slightly 'wet' like I did. Through the pasta maker a dozen times to bring it together properly and then through the cutter. Lots of extra flour on the stuff because it was super sticky/fragile until it was cooked. Wasn't 'fragile' so much as it'd become a lump if you weren't real gentle with it. I have no noodle skills, so couldn't make nice piles of it. A tennis ball sized ball makes a decent portion for anyone.

If you have a decent Chinese grocery about, they may have the real stuff. It's not that important as kansui is potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate solution (AFAIK), but the 'effect' is mostly from being strongly alkaline. I got some tingles on my fingers from the raw powder so not for playing with at all.

Actually making the dough wasn't that difficult. About half the batches needed a lot of working through the rollers to get them to come together smoothly, but they made the better noodles. Again noodles of all kinds seem to benefit from a little time for the wet and dry to get to know each other and plenty of forced smooching once they're in the sack together.

Stu.
    DocM, 1ynne and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Actually making the dough wasn't that difficult. About half the batches needed a lot of working through the rollers to get them to come together smoothly, but they made the better noodles. Again noodles of all kinds seem to benefit from a little time for the wet and dry to get to know each other and plenty of forced smooching once they're in the sack together.
    Yeah, I found out the hard way you need to leave it alone for half an hour to think about itself and develop gluten strands. If you're stretching it and it keeps snapping back, leave it a few minutes, then stretch it again.

Yes lots of flour to stop it sticking. The flour just comes off in the water and actually helps stop the noodles fragmenting. I watched a video of a professional curly ramen maker. They mash the ramen into a ball then separate it out again to make it curly. Those guys are magicians.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Beat this for class, 50mm thick Rump steak topped with garlic and herbs, grilled tomatoes, fried onions drizzled with worcestershirecestershireshire sauce at finish and swiss brown mushies with brie and chives stuffing.
    No pix Emu, coz I couldn't stand up and get the camera afterwards!
    Fatman and emu like this.
    A misguided Ape with delusions of grandeur & a chop on its' head thought it was a Griller

Killed the nails before they killed me. 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by DocM View Post
    Beat this for class, 50mm thick Rump steak topped with garlic and herbs, grilled tomatoes, fried onions drizzled with worcestershirecestershireshire sauce at finish and swiss brown mushies with brie and chives stuffing.
    No pix Emu, coz I couldn't stand up and get the camera afterwards!
    Sounds like a pretty bland meal.
    fabricator4, DocM and emu like this.
    Total noob, but very interested in vaping and want to give up the cigs.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzzo View Post
    Sounds like a pretty bland meal.
    Humph! One cannot compare to the cuisine offered by the golden arches huh Juzzo? Get out more son! Oh, SA, sorry, stay home.
    emu and Juzzo like this.
    A misguided Ape with delusions of grandeur & a chop on its' head thought it was a Griller

Killed the nails before they killed me. 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    That could make it difficult, ok I'll just post the recipe. It's courtesy of my aunty who makes cakes professionally for weddings etc and it is the best moist fruit cake you ever tried not to mention the easiest to make.

Soak 1kg of Sunbeam mixed fruit and 2 teaspoons of mixed spice in 2 cups of fruit juice overnight.
    Add 2 cups of self raising flour mixing through thoroughly next morning.
    Put the mixture into a baking paper lined tin and smooth the top with a spoon dipped in fruit juice often.
    Bake at 125 C for 90 minutes

That's it but you must use the Sunbeam mixed fruit.
    This reminds me of a comedian routine about moist cake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGryc7mCRoE

4.35 minutes to 6.15 minutes

(I'll have to learn how to post videos)
    emu likes this.
    Total noob, but very interested in vaping and want to give up the cigs.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    It really is spectacular. Red onions should work, the mayo will work fine. I'm just not sure about caramalising the onions in the baine marie. It should work though, if you give it long enough I think.

It's very rich. This is half of what I made, and I only managed to eat half of that. I was being greedy but on the good side, I know what I'm having with Saturday arvo beers ;-)

Had a Melb. cup function to prep mon and host tues, but got your dish out there at the end of week. Wow that is overly rich, but tasty. I like that you dont know it's bourbon, just *something*.
    Even after a few nips still got plenty of Cougar left, so rekon i'll drop the cream cheese and mayo, replace with cream and do a fettuccine or something, but not before i try that out as a sauce on some chicken and veg this weekend.

Great stuff!

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677