Page 181 of 185 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1846
Like Tree3293Likes

Thread: The Random Things I Learned Today Thread

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ywfbi View Post
    Now nobody here has heard me claim to be a smart man, so the following should come as no surprise.
    You know it's funny what a lack of money can do, I have top quality 18650's but when it came to a new laptop battery I got all stupid and brought the cheapest one on ebay.

Surprise surprise, calling this battery low quality would be an overstatement, even though it was new and shiny!
    Very impressive specs, reckoned it was 166V and could hold 245Wh (but had no idea of it's design capacity, explains the 12+hr charge eta).
    The outside had somewhat more realistic specs 11V and 58Wh.
    Unfortunately reality didn't quite stack up to either, lasting only 16min under full CPU load (45W).
    Refund is coming. But hey not all is lost I learnt a lot about power system in Linux and battery BMS chips and even a few new bash tips.
    The best part is now I get to play with and pull it apart!
    Thats the average quality/time on any non-genuine (and plenty of fake genuine) batteries bought off the bay, laptop or not...ive bought plenty of laptop batteries off the bay over the years, after pointing out to the people for whom im replacing them for they can either pay for a genuine battery off the bay (and by genuine it means i do my very best to verify this) and get advertised run times, or have a generic one off the bay where its pot luck at best. A shocking number of people choose generic, even with all my warnings. Add to that even most "genuine" batteries, unless you really know what youre doing are just generics...the chinese are very good at falsifying the telltale markers tech people look for, serials and labels etc these days. The average person is on a hiding trying to figure this out of course.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 25/06/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Thats the average quality/time on any non-genuine (and plenty of fake genuine) batteries bought off the bay, laptop or not...ive bought plenty of laptop batteries off the bay over the years, after pointing out to the people for whom im replacing them for they can either pay for a genuine battery off the bay (and by genuine it means i do my very best to verify this) and get advertised run times, or have a generic one off the bay where its pot luck at best. A shocking number of people choose generic, even with all my warnings. Add to that even most "genuine" batteries, unless you really know what youre doing are just generics...the chinese are very good at falsifying the telltale markers tech people look for, serials and labels etc these days. The average person is on a hiding trying to figure this out of course.
    I've had good luck with Chinese laptop batteries. Outstanding in fact.

I think you can safely say that unless it's from Toshiba (or whatever your brand is) that it's probably going to be a counterfeit. I rather go for the one that advertised as generic, and gives realistic specs, and where the seller has an excellent rating. So far it has worked for me.

My Toshi satellite needs to be pulled apart and the CPU heatsink re-fitted wit some new heatsink compound. Woe is me...
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Thats the average quality/time on any non-genuine (and plenty of fake genuine) batteries bought off the bay, laptop or not..
    I must have got lucky last time. Current batt is non-genuine and 2years old. It lasts about 30mins now, but new it was 2+hrs, which off memory was about the same as the OEM one.
    But most of the time its plugged in, which is bad I know.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    ...I think you can safely say that unless it's from Toshiba (or whatever your brand is) that it's probably going to be a counterfeit. I rather go for the one that advertised as generic, and gives realistic specs, and where the seller has an excellent rating...
    Yeah makes sense.
    Not so sure about the seller ratings on ebay though. Especially with powersellers.

AVF Regular
    I've had good luck with Chinese laptop batteries. Outstanding in fact.

I think you can safely say that unless it's from Toshiba (or whatever your brand is) that it's probably going to be a counterfeit. I rather go for the one that advertised as generic, and gives realistic specs, and where the seller has an excellent rating. So far it has worked for me.

My Toshi satellite needs to be pulled apart and the CPU heatsink re-fitted wit some new heatsink compound. Woe is me...
    You can get some decent generics...like you i go for feedback on those

As for re-compounding , thank god its not me...i have had 6 months of no disassembly for exactly that sort of malarkey. Prolly dont need to tell you the factory compound on most laptops is utter crud.

I remember the only PC ive owned where i let someone else fix it...i bought my last laptop and it had a motherboard failure about a month in...i bought it secondsies, but with a business warranty still on it. I was very happy to let the nice man from HP drive up from the Gong to Bowral and swap the board out...i had much better things to do with the 6 hours it took him - when id spoken to him on the phone for the booking and he heard the model he sighed, when i asked why, he said that when he went through training it was the most convoluted wiring harness they'd ever come up with That laptop despite the initial fault was the best i ever owned, swanky magnesium body etc, i donated it to a friend when i had to leave Bowral to come back to Sydney, and she retired it just months ago...

I hate pulling apart laptops after 30 years i never look forward to them....

p.s. My coffee mate Dave has an old i7 Qosmio that still runs, every other one ive ever seen has been dead and not to be revived. Everytime i see it i still remind shim thats its the longest lasting Qosmio ive ever seen. Ambitious model, but craptastic....tend to die from heat exhaustion due to a) cruddy heatsink compound b) dodgy video card that overheats and c) the most common other cause of laptop death...fan full of fluff...or the holy trinity of death.

Still as a general rule my advice for laptop brands still features Toshiba at the top, HP next and then literally anything but fricking Acer.....dont even bother bringing me one of those
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 17-07-17 at 05:45 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 25/06/17

AVF Regular
    p.s. My coffee mate Dave has an old i7 Qosmio that still runs, every other one ive ever seen has been deal and not to be revived. Everytime i see it i still remind shim thats its the longest lasting Qosmio ive ever seen. Ambitious model, but craptastic....tend to die from heat exhaustion due to a) cruddy heatsink compound b) dodgy video card that overheats and c) the most common other cause of laptop death...fan full of fluff...or the holy trinity of death.
    Hey lay off the Qosmio bashing
    And its not that old.... 2011 is a lovely vintage.
    I havn't really had problems with this old girl. The i7 and Linux play well together, virtually never use the Nvidia card (Intel does fine, less power) and a shot of compressed air gets rid of the dust every few months. Starting to see some bright spots on the LCD though, not dead pixels, larger blurry spots. But she has to last a while longer yet.
    And oh, I blew the left speaker. But other than this long list of faults its perfect

Edit: And oh the case is cracked at the front from flexing when picking it up
    Edit2: And sometimes the touch buttons would go crazy so you'd have to kill the process other wise the volume beep wouldn't stop.
    Last edited by ywfbi; 17-07-17 at 04:33 PM.
    stylemessiah likes this.

Super Moderator
    Well, it seems you (SM) don't get out much as my old i7 Qosmio is still running fine too, without any faults that I can tell Although I could never get linux to run on it, and it has Win7 Pro on it ATM

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    ...Although I could never get linux to run on it, and it has Win7 Pro on it ATM
    Bummer. Slackware 14.2 runs fine on this one (F750). Yes the bios stuffs up ACPI, not a major. All in all very snappy and responsive.

Super Moderator
    I'm not too concerned (and I didn't try real hard either), as I have other options available.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

Please read these rules

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Well, it seems you (SM) don't get out much as my old i7 Qosmio is still running fine too, without any faults that I can tell Although I could never get linux to run on it, and it has Win7 Pro on it ATM
    Most common issue is graphics driver. The generic one has (had) real issues and I had to boot it with nomodeset otherwise I got no video screen. They seem to be on the right track with it now, and have made some big changes. Proprietary drivers can be an absolute nightmare. If you wanted, it would be worth trying the latest release of Ubuntu LTS: 16.04.2. Seems to be running nice and playing well with my graphics now.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Super Moderator
    Most common issue is graphics driver. The generic one has (had) real issues and I had to boot it with nomodeset otherwise I got no video screen. They seem to be on the right track with it now, and have made some big changes. Proprietary drivers can be an absolute nightmare. If you wanted, it would be worth trying the latest release of Ubuntu LTS: 16.04.2. Seems to be running nice and playing well with my graphics now.
    Yep, I was getting multi-coloured blocks on the screen and because I didn't know how to progress, I just loaded Win7 Pro on it ... might update that to Win10 64bit because, as I said, it's not my primary tool. But I could then use it to drive the 3D printer

Please read these rules