Page 182 of 185 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1846
Like Tree3293Likes

Thread: The Random Things I Learned Today Thread

AVF Regular
    Think I may be having those overheating issues mentioned. Definitely coming from the back somewhere.
    fabricator4 and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    p.s. My coffee mate Dave has an old i7 Qosmio that still runs, every other one ive ever seen has been deal and not to be revived. Everytime i see it i still remind shim thats its the longest lasting Qosmio ive ever seen. Ambitious model, but craptastic....tend to die from heat exhaustion due to a) cruddy heatsink compound b) dodgy video card that overheats and c) the most common other cause of laptop death...fan full of fluff...or the holy trinity of death.

Still as a general rule my advice for laptop brands still features Toshiba at the top, HP next and then literally anything but fricking Acer.....dont even bother bringing me one of those
    Qosmio did have heating problems. They were working on making that better in later models. It was all high performance stuff, jammed in a small (ish, LOL) case so later models with more efficient components will only be better. So it depends on how you use it: if you are running processor burning games, doing 3D rendering/transforms in CAD, or converting lots of video files, a desktop computer is in your near future.

Acer, like all brands has cheap stuff and good stuff. The good stuff is good... In some cases very good. The bad stuff can be very bad. Strangely enough some of the Acer stuff is the absolute easiest to work on. Minimum screws, access panels for drive and memory and some other key areas, and very easy to get into.

Touch screens are a stupid idea I'm glad they all got rid of that except for flip screens. Still a stupid idea IMO: just makes it way more fragile. No I'm not a fan of the Surface either... Nice idea but just no...

Which brings me to my Satellite. A gazillion screws, some of them hidden. Have to remove the keyboard and part of the fascia to get to some of them. There's about 6 different types of screw, and heaven help you if you forget where they all go. I think I can get in, do the job, and get out in an hour now I know where everything is (it had exploratory surgery a month ago) except I suspect I'll spend an hour trying to find the correct places for the three screws that never found a home the last time. Gotta laugh...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 17-07-17 at 05:39 PM.
    Fatman, stylemessiah and rockmoose like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Super Moderator
    Just chuck those screws over your shoulder Fab, that's what I do

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ywfbi View Post
    Hey lay off the Qosmio bashing
    And its not that old.... 2011 is a lovely vintage.
    I havn't really had problems with this old girl. The i7 and Linux play well together, virtually never use the Nvidia card (Intel does fine, less power) and a shot of compressed air gets rid of the dust every few months. Starting to see some bright spots on the LCD though, not dead pixels, larger blurry spots. But she has to last a while longer yet.
    And oh, I blew the left speaker. But other than this long list of faults its perfect

Edit: And oh the case is cracked at the front from flexing when picking it up
    Edit2: And sometimes the touch buttons would go crazy so you'd have to kill the process other wise the volume beep wouldn't stop.
    Hmm, sounds healthy lol

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Well, it seems you (SM) don't get out much as my old i7 Qosmio is still running fine too, without any faults that I can tell Although I could never get linux to run on it, and it has Win7 Pro on it ATM
    Oh you would have to have one and a live one too, just to spite me gt :P

I can only take my impression off my own figures, and in the first 2 years they were out i saw no less than 7 come through my door...i didnt go out looking for them

I have a doozy of a story on one of them, but i dont wanna bore literally everyone with the story which would run many many paragraphs.
    gtadmin likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 25/06/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Qosmio did have heating problems. They were working on making that better in later models. It was all high performance stuff, jammed in a small (ish, LOL) case so later models with more efficient components will only be better. So it depends on how you use it: if you are running processor burning games, doing 3D rendering/transforms in CAD, or converting lots of video files, a desktop computer is in your near future.

Acer, like all brands has cheap stuff and good stuff. The good stuff is good... In some cases very good. The bad stuff can be very bad. Strangely enough some of the Acer stuff is the absolute easiest to work on. Minimum screws, access panels for drive and memory and some other key areas, and very easy to get into.

Touch screens are a stupid idea I'm glad they all got rid of that except for flip screens. Still a stupid idea IMO: just makes it way more fragile. No I'm not a fan of the Surface either... Nice idea but just no...

Which brings me to my Satellite. A gazillion screws, some of them hidden. Have to remove the keyboard and part of the fascia to get to some of them. There's about 6 different types of screw, and heaven help you if you forget where they all go. I think I can get in, do the job, and get out in an hour now I know where everything is (it had exploratory surgery a month ago) except I suspect I'll spend an hour trying to find the correct places for the three screws that never found a home the last time. Gotta laugh...
    Yup trying to do desktop level work on a laptop has never seemed a very sane thought process for me...for starters people help the death throes arrive sooner by actually putting laptops actually on their laps...fine when it was a dinky old toshiba with a P3 in it, but not with a bloody AMD/Nvidia card in it and usually poor heatsink design, and of course the obvious flaw of bottom air intake... all my folk get sent to msy/ebay for a cheap as chips laptop cooling stand...if things can actually breathe they live longer...

Acer...hmmm, maybe ive already told of the tale of the Uni PC lab swapouts i used to help volunteer on at the uni of tech here in sydney at years end for years...one year they got a stupendously attractive tender from Acer. And the day arrived to do the swapouts and imaging...something like 18 pallets of Acer PC's. Take the old PC off the desk, plonk new Acer down, connect to LAN, press button to open DVD drive and plonk in ghost pe boot cd...lets try that again, prss button to open DVD drive and plonk ghost pe boot cd in...still no go. We discovered that the cases were so poorly made that the drive couldnt clear the inner edge of the drive cutout, so the only option was to give the case a sharp smack on top at the same time you pressed the tray open button on the DVD drive...times 18 palllets worth of defective Acer crap....all this on a government contract...Acer prolly assumed the government would take whatever they served up for the low money...they were right.

Then im reminded of the time i wa sin Bowral Centrelink years ago when i smelled that special smell, of the magical blue smoke starting to form within a piece of electrical equipment. My keen eyes spotted it emanating from the Acer monitor in front of the lady i was talking to. "umm, sorry to tell you but yuor monitors abotu to catch fire". She looked at me like i was a mental case (or more mental than normal). "okay i said, dont say i didnt try and warn you". 20 seconds go by and finally her next door neighbour can smell it to (the lady right in fornt of it, well shes in trouble if her smoke detector batteries run out because shes smelling nothing still) and tell her to switch it off. Im liek too late mate its about to go...and it does flamage. She asked if we could postphone the meeting for another day....

Add that to the list of many many reports ive seen form others about spontaneously combusting Acer monitors

And the countless cheap (and shocklingly not so cheap) acer laptops ive seen that seem to have been desihned to a) fail prematurely and b) run about as fast as molasses on a winters day when compared to the same specc'd gear

They always remind me of the old Sony VAOI's woefully badly designed, slow and expensive...my fave was my firts one, Dave the Qosmio owner brought it in for a friend as the keyboard had gone in it...could i check ii out. I undo the screws on the button to just take the keyboard out - which is just the keyboard assembly which sits on top of the upper section of the laptop. As i lift it up to take the ribbon cable out i notice a square void ...right above the CPU heatsink. Its placed ideally well to de-laminate the two sides of the clear ribbon cable with graphite tracks in it with heat from the heatsink, because thats what its done, because thats where the ribbon cable sits - right over the heatsink hole.... Sony...crap designed gear, high prices, arguably purposely designed that way to fail and make the Sony devotee by a new laptop - they were once as bad as Apple sheeple. I literally wont have Sony gear in my home, unless you bring it to me to laugh at when it goes wrong of course. Like my friend who bought a huge Sony TV that she could use the EPG on...well not until channel 9 reformatted their EPG stream solely to correct the issue for Sony's TV design flaw...no firmware updates possible on the tv...so they had to get Channel nine to alter their stream...funny the same EPG always worked on a generic $90 Konka chinese LCD TV we had lying about

btw i have 30 years worth of this stuff, im done posting it for today

I have as much love for all in ones as you...just no...

As for extra screw...bah, thats nothing, its when you lift up whatever youre working on and shake it and hear a rattle you start to worry

Im pretty damn good with screws i have to say...i punch them into cardboard in groups based on where they came form and label everything. I stopped taking tithes for the fastener fairy decades ago...greedy bastard he was back then...
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Just chuck those screws over your shoulder Fab, that's what I do

The Borrowers thank you for your sacrifice gt...
    gtadmin and Fatman like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    ...for starters people help the death throes arrive sooner by actually putting laptops actually on their laps..
    Know what you mean, I got a lovely piece of marine ply the lappy lives on, sanded smooth with a lovely oil coating to protect it.
    Yet I have had 2 people try to use it as a bloody chopping board and I'm like WTF?!?! Some people just don't get it.
    Crisscross, stylemessiah and Jemor like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    The word 'Gullible' is nowhere to be found in any dictionary.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    If I only knew now what I thought I knew then.

AVF Regular
    I learned they fricking feminised Dr Who...

I wonder which focus group at the BBC, staffed by openly breastfeeding, non-child immunising women who drink kale shakes and wear hemp clothing and who use the word "enpowering" at every given possible opportunity came up with that brilliant idea

*sigh*

Shouldve brought back Tennant

/unsubscribe Dr Who, youre dead to me.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 17-07-17 at 08:45 PM.
    gert likes this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    I learned they fricking feminised Dr Who...

I wonder which focus group at the BBC, staffed by openly breastfeeding, non-child immunising women who use the word "enpowering" at every opportunity came up with that brilliant idea

*sigh*

Shouldve brought back Tennant

/unsubscribe Dr Who, youre dead to me.
    You know you won't be able to help yourself. Tennant was my pick too, but you never know...

They've talked about fem Whos before, but didn't have the story line to fit. See what happens eh?
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.