Page 193 of 196 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 1957
Like Tree3603Likes

Thread: The Random Things I Learned Today Thread

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Works with my phone as well DocM, if I try to take a photo with the phone on the side (Landscape) I cant see the screen. Have to take the sunnies off or do a portrait pic lol.
    You're right emu. It's a handy thing to know. Walking around with your head at 90* does nothing for the strut down the street and street cred.
    Thanks for your previous thread reply Style.... so true. Is /was a thread on AVF on the subject?
    Last edited by DocM; 11-08-17 at 09:55 PM.
    emu likes this.
    Proud owner of #4 Bastard file and various ecoutrements.

AVF Regular
    Phone technology breakthrough allows calls, texts with zero battery

Researchers in the United States have unveiled a prototype of a battery-free mobile phone, using technology they hope will eventually come to be integrated into mass-market products.

The phone is the work of a group of researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle, and works by harvesting tiny amounts of power from radio signals, known as radio frequency or 'RF' waves.

"Ambient RF waves are all around us so, as an example, your FM station broadcasts radio waves, your AM stations do that, your TV stations, your cellphone towers. They all are transmitting RF waves," team member Vamsi Talla said.

The phone is a first prototype and its operation is basic. At first glance it looks little more than a circuit board with a few parts attached and the caller must wear headphones and press a button to switch between talking and listening. But researchers say there are plans to develop further prototypes, featuring a low-power screen for texting and even a basic camera. They also plan a version of the battery-free phone that uses a tiny solar cell to provide power.

The researchers plan to release a product in eight to nine months time, thought they would not give further details. One team member however, was prepared to give a glimpse of how their work will impact the future of phone technology.

"In the future every smartphone will come with a battery-free mode where you can at least make a voice call when your battery's dead."

The initiative is not the only one seeking to improve the way that mobile technology is powered. Researchers at the Universities of Bristol and Surrey in Britain are developing supercapacitors, which they believe will eventually allow devices to charge in a period of a few minutes.

Reuters

Can i haz RF for my vapage?
    DocM, rockmoose, emu and 1 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post

Why sure Style. Comes with a magic blue smoke generator V.2 and a box of 22mm holes, also, as a free gift upon receipt of all your P.I.N. numbers and passwords, 1 x metric time digitally analogue watch.
    Last edited by DocM; 12-08-17 at 05:44 PM.
    stylemessiah and emu like this.
    Proud owner of #4 Bastard file and various ecoutrements.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post

Researchers in the United States have unveiled a prototype of a battery-free mobile phone, using technology they hope will eventually come to be integrated into mass-market products.

The phone is the work of a group of researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle, and works by harvesting tiny amounts of power from radio signals, known as radio frequency or 'RF' waves.

"Ambient RF waves are all around us so, as an example, your FM station broadcasts radio waves, your AM stations do that, your TV stations, your cellphone towers. They all are transmitting RF waves," team member Vamsi Talla said.

The phone is a first prototype and its operation is basic. At first glance it looks little more than a circuit board with a few parts attached and the caller must wear headphones and press a button to switch between talking and listening. But researchers say there are plans to develop further prototypes, featuring a low-power screen for texting and even a basic camera. They also plan a version of the battery-free phone that uses a tiny solar cell to provide power.

The researchers plan to release a product in eight to nine months time, thought they would not give further details. One team member however, was prepared to give a glimpse of how their work will impact the future of phone technology.

"In the future every smartphone will come with a battery-free mode where you can at least make a voice call when your battery's dead."

The initiative is not the only one seeking to improve the way that mobile technology is powered. Researchers at the Universities of Bristol and Surrey in Britain are developing supercapacitors, which they believe will eventually allow devices to charge in a period of a few minutes.

Reuters

Ummmm, no screen, analogue service only, and they don't show you the size of the parasitic antenna, which would have to be *at least* backpack size to scavenge enough RF to be ever so slightly useful. Not to mention you'd probably take out everyone else's mobile phone service in the vicinity as you parasitically suck all their transmit power.

I'm calling fake news and "stunt" on that one. Just carry a portable USB power source if you just can't do without your mobile phone and you drained the battery playing flappy bird.
    gert, DocM and emu like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    heres something random

toilet cleaner with bleach can dissolve fully hardened paint and this is about month old hard paint so its well dry
    gert likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by saph View Post
    heres something random

toilet cleaner with bleach can dissolve fully hardened paint and this is about month old hard paint so its well dry
    I wanna know how the toilet cleaner randomly got on the paint, don't tell me you painted the bowl.

AVF Regular
    I wanna know how the toilet cleaner randomly got on the paint, don't tell me you painted the bowl.
    no this is with paint brushes that my sister and her friend never cleaned and i got bored and decided to science
    If you dont know it. Ask

emu
    AVF Regular
    Thank goodness for that Dr saph

AVF Regular
    Thank goodness for that Dr saph
    hey i need them to finish the toilet so :P plus it was cheaper then paying for the proper stuff and it works
    emu likes this.
    If you dont know it. Ask

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by saph View Post
    no this is with paint brushes that my sister and her friend never cleaned and i got bored and decided to science
    I think the toilet cleaner contains muriatic acid, and it is more likely this that is softening the paint. Muriatic Acid is actually Hydrochloric Acid. I guess it sounds more friendly
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.