Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree3020Likes

Thread: The Random Things I Learned Today Thread

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Nah its an older model , and they are prone to running hot ... apparently overtime this kills the GNU bond to the motherboard , and when you fire up the lappy from cold its like a I in 10 chance your display will actually turn on Until it eventually goes belly up ... I did get it happening today after about the 20th reboot ... its currently downloading essential files onto a USB stick for transfer to the laptop I am on now ... Just purchased a replicator dock off ebay so if it does fully crap out I can copy the hard drive from it 2 5" 3 5" 2 Sata 1 IDE HDD Hard Disk Drive Dock Docking Station USB HUB Reader | eBay

Ahhh you have to love gear failure ... at least it gives you a chance to get rid off all the crap you think you need over the years but dont
    In terms of booting to a working state, one in ten are definitely not good odds. Totally see your dilemma. :/

Gear failure is the bane of my life. Well, that and predictive text, but that's another story. I'm positive all my home devices conspire together, then synchronise their own deaths so I have to replace everything at once. Makes for some disgustingly painful troubleshooting when more than one device stops working at the same time too.

Finally got my humble home NAS back up and running properly the other week, but three months, two drives and a power cable later I'm still grinding my teeth a bit.

Sounds like you've got everything under control though. Looks like a pretty long list of things you've learnt today too. Kudos!
    Last edited by Brave; 27-07-15 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Obsessive-compulsive corrections
    There are two types of people in this world: those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Oh and a PMSL @ the occie
    and a at the dogbite .... same thing with cat scratches , them buggers all have bacteria we dont like ... every nick I get these days gets the betadine treatment .
    the stupid thing is i did put betadine on the bite when i 1st got it, then a 70% alcohol swab on it a few days later. just kept getting worse.
    its my own stupid fault i got bit,

The Real lesson ladies and gents " Dont play rough with your dog thinking you have the reaction times of a teenager on redbull when you dont anymore"

Quote Originally Posted by Brave View Post
    Gear failure is the bane of my life. Well, that and predictive text, but that's another story.
    Death to Iphones, Ipads, Ipods and Imacs.......... secretly sabotaging my humble windows network

AVF Regular
    I learned that some scientists in France(i think) have used quantum mechanics to teleport photons, how cool is that!
    Browny and Brave like this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    I learnt if the lady in front of you at the checkout is wearing high heels and you accidentally kick the heel hard enough she will fall backwards on to you.

Its a great way to get her phone number as your not carrying any cash.....

( check if she has a ring on first )
    Crisscross, Fatman, Browny and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzme View Post
    I learnt if the lady in front of you at the checkout is wearing high heels and you accidentally kick the heel hard enough she will fall backwards on to you.

Its a great way to get her phone number as your not carrying any cash.....

( check if she has a ring on first )
    Or into your trolley ROFL
    Brave likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    I learned that some scientists in France(i think) have used quantum mechanics to teleport photons, how cool is that!
    Totally cool! I remember reading something about that a while back. Blew my mind a little to be honest. Roll on more mad science!
    There are two types of people in this world: those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.

AVF Regular
    I learnt that Murphy and Obrien conspired to create their laws.

Obrien's law is that Murphy's law always takes priority.
    gtadmin, Fatman and Brave like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Or into your trolley ROFL
    Hahaha! Thats awesome bugzme!

But a trolley would definitely make the whole process simpler. Good to see you're on the case CrissCross.
    Crisscross and magick81 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave View Post
    Hahaha! Thats awesome bugzme!

But a trolley would definitely make the whole process simpler. Good to see you're on the case CrissCross.
    I won't mention then that a similar thing happened to me when a kid bashed into the back of my knees with those little toy trollies they have in coles. Legs collapse in an instant and I landed in the trolley. Kid went running to his mum and only when hubby stopped rolling around the floor holding his stomach laughing did he managed to extricate me from said trolley. If I had been taller I could have hurt the kid. Lucky I am protective of all the chillens. LOL
    gtadmin, Fatman, bugzme and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I won't mention then that a similar thing happened to me when a kid bashed into the back of my knees with those little toy trollies they have in coles. Legs collapse in an instant and I landed in the trolley. Kid went running to his mum and only when hubby stopped rolling around the floor holding his stomach laughing did he managed to extricate me from said trolley. If I had been taller I could have hurt the kid. Lucky I am protective of all the chillens. LOL
    Haha! Seriously?

Coles should really make those things out of rubber or something.

I had no idea you were a stunt trolley rider too though Crisscross. Admittedly, most of my own experience comes from teenage years, but I'm still partial to a quick carpark scoot on the sly from time to time.

Stopping is the biggest problem really.
    Crisscross, Fatman and magick81 like this.

Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast