Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Amatuer Mycologists

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic

Amatuer Mycologists

So for several reasons I've been trying out new hobbies and something I've settled on is growing my own mushrooms at home. Any other budding amateur mycologists out there? Would be great to share experiences and talk to some local people.
    Northerner likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    I love mushrooms but so far only managed to find kits in bunnings and the like.
    Would love to go forest mushroom picking like in Europe... Something special about being alone holding a knife in a deep forest
    Also I found some species are not even allowed in Oz, like my faiv Chanterelles...

Dicodes Dani Extreme - VS VaporFlask - Koopor Mini - Walking Stick Tube
    Eleaf Lemo II - VLS Vulcan & VLS Vector - Kangertech Sub Mini RTA

AVF Regular
    Have had a fascination since I was a kid but mainly studying wild stuff. I do a bit of photography in the wild and am pretty good at identification. Love eating them but never really been into growing my own apart from a stint with some of the box kits many years ago. Wild stuff tastes so much better but your ident needs to be impeccable.
    gurishka likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've been hobby growing mushrooms for years. It's great fun! (and tasty)
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    What method do you use?
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    What method do you use?
    Spores/cultures > agar > grains > pasteurised straw/poo/peat/other substrate

Either fruit in in logs, trays or tubs depending on the season and the species.

Most of the good edible mushroom forums have turned into ghost towns, but there is a great edible mushroom subforum on shroomery.com.
    Midlife likes this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Cool I will check it out. Have you tried coir? I was thinking about using it over manure due to the ease of use. Mix it with some Verm and maybe BRF. Depends on the species I guess though. We shall see. I'm still fruiting my first batch.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by merexy View Post
    Have had a fascination since I was a kid but mainly studying wild stuff. I do a bit of photography in the wild and am pretty good at identification. Love eating them but never really been into growing my own apart from a stint with some of the box kits many years ago. Wild stuff tastes so much better but your ident needs to be impeccable.
    I'd love to meet someone with knowledge of wild species locally. Being able to find mushrooms I like and then cultivate them at home would be awesome.
    merexy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah I've used coir back in the days when I was interested in cubensis. Coir and verm are good for other edibles though... don't add BRF though as it's too nutritious and will cause contamination.

AVF Regular
    Manure is easy to use and provides better yields, but you have to nail your tek for pasteurization. Really depends on what scale you're going but I always use glass jars in water when pasteurizing manure.

I can send you some instructional videos if you're interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast