Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gaming desktop need help?

AVF Regular

Gaming desktop need help?

Okay so it's been 5 years since I have owned a gaming PC and it seems everything has changed since then so I'm coming here for suggestions I want to spend $1300 on a gaming build I don't need monitors or a keyboard or mouse $1300 is my budget for the build I may add more money if I see fit now what can I get for this price?
    Minikin 2 with Goon
    LMC 200W with Buddha z V3
    VCM stacked tube with Temple mini

Started Vaping 13/9/2016 the day that changed my life!

AVF Regular
    What sort of monitors do you have? The resolution and frame rate your chasing will dictate how much you need to spend on gpu

AVF Regular
    I planned on just using my 50" TV for a monitor since I'm limited to space in my room a d won't have the room for monitors
    Minikin 2 with Goon

AVF Regular

AVF Regular
    Thanks helixx but wouldn't I be able to get something more powerful if I built it myself?
    Minikin 2 with Goon

AVF Regular
    You could break down the parts and see what it would cost to build yourself. Maybe jump up to a newer nvidia gpu. It's a good starting point anyway. A gtx 1060 will run most games on ultra @ 1080p @60hz

AVF Regular
    That advert states a 960..1060 are a lot quicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    This is where you should be looking Whirlpool PC Suggestions

AVF Regular
    I always use msy.com.au - not for built systems, but for parts for building myself...they have their price list in pdf format

I will point one obvious thing out about your plan to use the tv as a monitor. Tv's are fine for games and media, but they suck for text, you wont get any subpixel smoothing (ClearType/MacType) on it, so it will be pixely.
    In other words and by example i'm using MacType (a tad better text renderer than Windows ClearType) under Windows 7 and text on the LED is perfect...drag the window to the TV and its a dogs breakfast....

I have very little room, but i still manage to fit in a 32" Samsung TV and 22" Philips LED monitor on my desk...TV as Monitor 2 for video and LED for everything that requires reading text, which is 98% of my computer use

General top tips for building a general PC:

CPU - Buy the fastest CPU you can afford - apart from RAM, its the single biggest determiner of speed/overall system performance - dont buy something cheap and then end up trying to use snake oil "PC Booster" software to make up the difference.

RAM - 8Gb RAM Minimum -16Gb Better - anything beyond 16Gb is subject to the laws of diminishing returns and pushing at the point where you should consider a faster CPU and 8-16Gb RAM.

Drives - Buy an SSD for your System and Programs/Games drive. Storage is now the biggest bottleneck on a PC, very few devices are even available that can utilise a SATA3 port fully. I recommend Samsung Evo 850/850 Pro. If youre feeling cutting edge you can explore an M.2 SSD which is even faster still than a normal SSD, but you will need a motherboard with an M.2 connector. Buy a conventional HDD (i prefer Western Digital - far fewer failures for me over the years, as opposed to Seagate. WD Blue Sata 3 drives are what i use generally) for anything you want to store and love.

Motherboards - I have a rampant hatred of Gigabyte motherboards (for the latest reasoning why, ask disley, who i built a PC for not too long ago, who insisted on using one, leading to the longest build ive done in 30+ years), theyre often rushed to market for new capabilities and unstable. I have 2 return customers.... friends with PC's that i need to (re)fix every 6 months, both own Gigabyte motherboards. I will use anything else, unless im forced to, and have found MSI motherboards, like the one in this PC to be stable and full of features for low/decent prices. They often do clever things on their motherboards, which i wont bore you with. Id probably go AsRock 2nd, and Asus 3rd.

Operating System: If youre going to use Windows 7, youre going to need to create a new DVD/USB key installer with USB3 an/or storage drivers on it to get Windows 7 setup to work on newer motherboards...most motherboard vendors have tools for this. If youre going to use the works of Satan - Windows 8/10, then you wont need to do this.

I wont add anything about video cards, as i dont play games all that much, so im out of date on the latest. I still keep my prejudice of a high powered single card over 2 lower end cards in sli/crossfire. Far too many people out there i believe go crossfire/sli so they can post pics on forums and benchmark for epeen (there is no worse or sad creature on this earth than one who benchmarks anything in a PC) or open their case up for their friends for pure gear envy.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 18-09-16 at 10:32 AM.
    fabricator4 and disley like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Alright now we're talking business I was going to get 16gb ram I was looking at a ssd I'm not all computer noob hahaha where I got stuck is because of this Skylake stuff never heard of it and I do want to future proof my computer and only update every 2 years or so I'm happy to spend more than. $1300 a d raise that to $1600 if u wouldnt mind doing a parts list for me and yes I am aware about the TV issue that dosent really bother me that much
    Minikin 2 with Goon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast