Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Car Maintanence

AVF Regular
    You're driving that car in what's called "extreme service". As mentioned, the oil never heats up which is actually great for the oil but it's a ^%$#^%& nightmare for everything it touches. The engine never gets to operating temperature, or if it does, only briefly so the bores, valve gear and other 'round bits in tight spots' never operate as they should.

I'd change it every 6 months, without fail. Regular oil of the right grade, a 'name' brand and whatever's cheapest will do if you're going to do it yourself. Filter, once a year will be fine.

I actually bought a 'disposable car' to take those trips off the new car we got last year. She's adopted it as her own unless the trip is longer than 15 minutes and/or she's taking the kids out and/or she needs to carry our kids and a few others. The disposable car has 150,000km, the engine sounds like a tractor and pulls like one too (660cc! With turbo and every bit of 10 year old Mitsubishi gizmosity they could throw at it). If the electric version of the car was double what the dispo car cost, I would have got one of them as electric is made for that kind of work.

The new car, gets it's service every 5,000km, which is every 6 months. Service contract, the dealer collects it, does the work, brings it back. The dealer is a good one and all I need to is stick fuel in it, of which it doesn't need much.

As far as fuel goes, that's something that's kind of "suck it and see" really.

Cheap fuel and good enough for the engine is fine. Really. It's fine. Higher octane fuel might have more cleaning stuff in it, but the detergent package is likely in 'good' quality regular already. I stick regular in the dispo car, high octane in the new car.

The dispo car is happy on regular. The new car can and does take full advantage of the high octane fuel, even though it's 'safe' and 'recommended' to run on regular. The cost difference between the two means hi octane needs to get 8% better fuel economy than regular to justify it cost wise, which it does easily. And the car is much happier on the high octane. When you manage to have the car regularly get the same fuel economy the advertising says it should, it's a shock. Our old Mazda never managed to do that, even on the highway.

But again, suck it and see. If higher octane works, use it.

Honda generally make good engines but if you're being hard on the engine and don't try and help it, it's not going to like it no matter who made it.

Or you could simply drive it into the ground. Folks here do it all the time. I can't do that myself, so I try and take care of them.

Stu.
    Polo89 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Anything old school by toyota, great for dispo cars.

Mines in most parts of aus use Landcruisers for good reason.
    Aint never seen a LC refuse to start due to a little stale oil or dirty fuel, sure when the oil was coming out in 10c sized chunks but not stale.

My old mazda bubble hated the oil it said to use in the book, always handled better a little thicker.
    the only reason i ever put the stock oil in was snapping wrx's off at the lights..... yeah thats right ladies and gents them granny cars got game

AVF Regular
    Oil is cheap. For what you're doing change at 6 months regardless, and make sure you change the filter. Changing oil without changing the filter is pointless.

The service interval on my car is 12,500 km's. I change at half that because I'm making a shitload of horsepower.

AVF Regular
    Hi guys.
    Car's got a recall for both airbags.
    Thinking of getting the engine oil changed at the mechanic whilst their at it.
    Should i be chucking in semi-synthetic or fully synthetic for a 2009 honda civic manual?
    Thanks in advance!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Hi guys.
    Car's got a recall for both airbags.
    Thinking of getting the engine oil changed at the mechanic whilst their at it.
    Should i be chucking in semi-synthetic or fully synthetic for a 2009 honda civic manual?
    Thanks in advance!
    Whichever is cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a BIG fan of synthetic oil and all that kind of stuff but for most vehicles with properly designed engines it's serious overkill. Like feeding filet mignon to a brown dog. Sure, the dog is going to love the stuff, but he'd probably be just as happy with Chum and have a shinier coat too.

Must send the Mitsu in for it's airbag too. Apparently they also need to grease the light switch while it's there.

(Mitsubishi has had a really rough time here of late, so they recall often for the most frivolous stuff.)

Stu.
    Danyel Geelong and maxsmd like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Whichever is cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a BIG fan of synthetic oil and all that kind of stuff but for most vehicles with properly designed engines it's serious overkill. Like feeding filet mignon to a brown dog. Sure, the dog is going to love the stuff, but he'd probably be just as happy with Chum and have a shinier coat too.

Must send the Mitsu in for it's airbag too. Apparently they also need to grease the light switch while it's there.

(Mitsubishi has had a really rough time here of late, so they recall often for the most frivolous stuff.)

Stu.
    Love the filet mignon analogy.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Love the filet mignon analogy.
    Brown dogs everywhere are shaking their fist like paws at you, though.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Brown dogs everywhere are shaking their fist like paws at you, though.
    My brown(ish) dog isn't. She's got a gut full of $50/kg lamb chops.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Unless youve been running synth or semi synth oil since new in the car, i wouldnt worry about it. Use an oil grade recommended by the manufacturer. Qualifications = light and heavy veh mech. 25 plus years in the trade.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    My wife runs down to the shop and back and many small trips around.
    The car rarely gets up to operating temp.
    Because of this she lost compression on 5 cylinders as the carbon built up and the rings were fouled.
    She only uses 98.

I let the cylinders soak in Morleys fuel additive for two days after removing the plugs which fixed the problem.
    Turned it into a 6cyl smoke machine for 20 minutes when it started.
    She adds it to every 2nd tank now and does longer trips by doing them all at once.

Most mechanics told her a rebuild on her M5 bmw was needed. $8000

So problems can arise even when serviced regularly and using 98.
    Polo89 likes this.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast