Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Other hobbies you enjoy?

AVF Regular

Other hobbies you enjoy?

Title says it all what else do you enjoy doing

Me its fixing my own cars and soon scuba diving

being sunnie coast based ive got a few wreaks and reefs to go see and explore like the HMAS brisbane a perth class guided missile destroyer

So what does everyone else enjoy?
    singlefished, AllyP, Cat and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I tinker with paints, resin and inks.
    singlefished, merexy and emu like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Far far too many in the past and very few today lol ... but if I get motivated I pull an old one out ... once heavily into everything RC , cars boats planes helicopters quads, if it had a motor wings wheels or sails I was there
    Old stuff fascinates me , machinery, vehicles still have a few old bikes , and a 1920's 16 foot open cutter boat in the shed .

Animals ... Misk'i parrot, bonniedog , chooks , encouraging the skinks and geckos and other lizards about the place ... even down to the frog pond for burrowing frogs out the back ...

Of course vaping has been a big one the last few years , but the vaping budget has been commandeered to provide my penchant for antique model clockwork trains

When I die there is gonna be ONE HELL of an estate sale

From a 5 million year old Megladon tooth to a recently purchased vintage chess set ( pewter pieces which in total add up to 14 kilos ! ) to whale vomit

( eclectic they call it ... some might say.... slightly bonkers )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

emu
    AVF Regular
    One of my favourite hobbies is working with wood, old timber is great to play with and often gets overlooked these days,
    gotta love the old outback towns in Australia, plenty of timber from long ago in the ruins just waiting to be discovered.

A lady in Peterborough SA commissioned me to make an open cupboard for her craft supplies, she supplied the salvaged jarrah floor boards from the town theatre circa 1899 and I had the pleasure of making it for her. Oh the splinters...!

Stomp, Fatman, btobw and 8 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    .....to whale vomit
    Wozname... Ambergris???

Walking around Chemist Warehouse we have Beckham, Beyonce, Britney, Chanel..... When are we going to have "Le Scent de Fhat Moin - Vape Sweat"
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Far far too many in the past and very few today lol ... but if I get motivated I pull an old one out ... once heavily into everything RC , cars boats planes helicopters quads, if it had a motor wings wheels or sails I was there
    Old stuff fascinates me , machinery, vehicles still have a few old bikes , and a 1920's 16 foot open cutter boat in the shed .

Animals ... Misk'i parrot, bonniedog , chooks , encouraging the skinks and geckos and other lizards about the place ... even down to the frog pond for burrowing frogs out the back ...

Of course vaping has been a big one the last few years , but the vaping budget has been commandeered to provide my penchant for antique model clockwork trains

When I die there is gonna be ONE HELL of an estate sale

From a 5 million year old Megladon tooth to a recently purchased vintage chess set ( pewter pieces which in total add up to 14 kilos ! ) to whale vomit

( eclectic they call it ... some might say.... slightly bonkers )
    Better be careful FM, if big brother is watching. Collecting ambergris is illegal, for some crazy reason, and must be handed over to our rulers. I wonder how Barnaby Joyce would react if you handed him a nice, stinky vomit? It's worth a fortune though, which probably explains why the government lays claim.

It'd be much handier if they laid claim to all animal excretions. All you dog owners could call on Malcolm, to come and clear your yards of barkers eggs.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    My favourite hobby is playing games with Shrinks.
    I love every time i get a new one, finding out what makes them tick and then breaking them.
    oh, you meant normal person hobbies.... RTS or Survival type games, the smarter the AI/player the better

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Better be careful FM, if big brother is watching. Collecting ambergris is illegal, for some crazy reason, and must be handed over to our rulers. I wonder how Barnaby Joyce would react if you handed him a nice, stinky vomit? It's worth a fortune though, which probably explains why the government lays claim.

It'd be much handier if they laid claim to all animal excretions. All you dog owners could call on Malcolm, to come and clear your yards of barkers eggs.
    LOL all good on the CITES act department , the ounce and a bit in my possession was collected by the CSIRO off a large sample found at Port Fairy in Vic in 1927... I bought a cabinet off them in an auction in the 80's and it was in there all alone ... I fessed up and its perfectly legal to own as long as I dont export it for sale

Like many things Casa Fatmanos is "asset rich" and cash poor lol ....

Ambergris and Australian law

Because ambergris is a whale product, the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) regulates it's possession and movement in the Commonwealth Marine Area (three nautical miles from the coast out to 200 nautical miles).

Part 13A of the EPBC Act also regulates the export and import of all whale products including ambergris. These provisions are consistent with Australia's obligations under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Under Part 13A of the EPBC Act, non-live sperm whale specimens may only be moved internationally in the following circumstances:

i. if the specimen was taken from the animal before that species was included in a CITES Appendix (28 June 1979 in the case of the sperm whale);
    ii. for scientific research purposes;
    iii. for educational purposes; and
    iv. for exhibition purposes.

Specimens moved under the above circumstances must generally be accompanied by CITES documentation.

Each State and Territory Government has laws which regulate the possession of whale products.

Dibs on that cabinet btw Emu ... I am currently thinking of a good way to display my 80+ clockwork locos and their bits and bobs ... I will come up with something off the wall no doubt
    Last edited by Fatman; 07-01-17 at 12:36 PM.
    merexy and emu like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    You should get him to move in with you for a year or two, FM. I saw the amazing work our lil emu did on a place up NNSW. I think you will both be very happy together. How do you get along with smaller birds, emu?
    emu likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    You should get him to move in with you for a year or two, FM. I saw the amazing work our lil emu did on a place up NNSW. I think you will both be very happy together. How do you get along with smaller birds, emu?
    I love em rockmoose, got a galah 4 years ago off the side of the road with a broken wing and we have a beautiful relationship, I'm sure FM and I would thrive as long as he doesn't want to sit on my shoulder lol.
    rockmoose likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast