Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree1803Likes

Thread: Show us your pets! I love animals...

AVF Regular
    What is it they say? The camera puts on 10 pounds

AVF Regular
    Well that explains it. I just need to eat more cameras then.

tapatalk for photo upload 👍
    tapatalk for general usage 👎
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Well that explains it. I just need to eat more cameras then.

AVF Regular
    New additions to the family manse...

And yes, most of life's worries can be solved by application of puppy.

Stu

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Is that your latest rescue project Stu?

You never mentioned puppies before, and those are *far* from newborn...
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    They're a 'take-over' from someone else.

The mother was found, pregnant, about 2 months ago along with another similar appearing 1-2 year old dog which we suspect is this one's daughter but we don't know. As the mother was pregnant a pretty wide search was put out, but nobody claimed her and the babies popped out about 7 weeks ago. 2 boys, 2 girls. They don't chip dogs here so it's easy to kick them out which we suspect is what's happened here.

The people who were originally taking care of them have their own dog which is doing poorly so they needed to find a new temporary home for these guys and we took them on. The puppies are all spoken for and will be on their way at the start of September, so we have them all for another few weeks.

I can understand why the other dog was doing poorly as Kinako (mother) is somewhat aggressive towards other dogs, especially when it comes to the puppies (understandable) and food (also understandable) but also when it comes to dogs with other people (she thinks Ruby is interloping on her new family). Ruby and Kinako are getting better with each other, but it's slow going. And I assure you, Kinako knows that growling is about all she's allowed because Ruby sure as heck can take care of herself and is twice Kinako's size.

The puppies, they're of the extra-cute variety, father unknown. Once they're gone, I expect Kinako will settle down somewhat and will find a new home very easily. Alone, she's very well adjusted and super friendly and for someone who wants that type of dog she'll do very well.

The kids are going to be a problem though. They won't get the message that these puppies are not toys, even though they look like it. But while it lasts, so long as the puppies aren't permanently scarred I suppose it's ok. These guys are the kind of puppies they take pictures of for greeting cards to make you feel better. They're just starting to find their voices as well, so there's a lot of squeaking going on.

So we don't have them for long and explained now because tapatalk is great for pictures, but crap for typing into.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Well good on you for looking after them and giving them a good start. I just don't get people abandoning dogs. My dogs are always family.
    AllyP, gurishka and Mouse1 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Just another snap to show why these little monsters are not too much of a burden.

As for abandoning pets I don't get it either, but that's how it is here in alarming numbers and the efforts of those who try to find new homes for pets is like trying to stop the flow of a river with words and dreams alone.

Maybe the only thing that is in their favour, folks here are easily shamed into coughing up to help out. For looking after these guys we've had everything provided and when they get their vet checks before they leave that'll be covered too. Mostly anyway. Mrs. Schtoo can't help herself and will buy some things for them and then there will be a fight over being paid back for what she's spent. I stay out of all that...

The real volunteers, they're several dozen steps past my level on intended involvement. We have the space, we've always had pets so taking on a few here and there isn't a big deal at all. That said, we did drive about an hour to pick these guys up...

But those folks who collect and care for these animals, it's nothing to drive for a few hours to pick up or deliver them somewhere, spend weekends getting them 'out there' so the general public can see who needs a new home and adopt one (there's no 'go to the pound to find a new pet' here) and all the rest of it.

For us, we have the means to help out some, so we do.

Stu.
    Last edited by Schtoo; 13-08-17 at 01:17 AM.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Beautiful Stu, one of mine just turned 16 and never a burden.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Beautiful Stu, one of mine just turned 16 and never a burden.
    They are, seriously cute. Which is why they're all spoken for.

Pretty superficial to be honest that these 'cute' puppies are snapped up fast, but a lot of good decent pets are not. Kinako, the mother, should find a new home easily as she's friendly and all the rest of it, but Bebe was equally friendly but we had her for twice as long as we should have.

Interesting tid bit, these little monsters are all pretty well toilet trained already. A few cases of poor aim, but no surprises anywhere.

Stu.
    fabricator4 likes this.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast