Page 61 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 765
Like Tree2923Likes

Thread: Show us your pets! I love animals...

  1. #601
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Well the DNA is in .... once again Fab was correct !!!! ( Is there anything he dont know????? )

    For the record Tuco is indeed a girl

    Sorry to all the yellow beak fans , shes gonna go black in a year or two

    ( Its more slimming anyhow )

    Yes, he doesnt know when to leave bally well alone....

    Thas it, the next package i send him will only contain stuff for Fergus...
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  2. #602
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Vic,up near the Murray
    Posts
    17,896
    well yes and no Doggington LOL!!!

    https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanf...ian_Sense.html

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4518324/

    This is the thing .. in the past we have always compared animals to US ... and in reality its only oposable thumbs and our forebrains that got us this far up the evolutionary scale ... recent studies have shown parrots in general have more actual brain cells than apes numerically, but package them in a much reduced space ... you have to remember that birds mainly are visual creatures, and they see different spectrums to us , as well as the spectrums we dont see ... their brains process a shyt tonne more sensory info than we do at any given moment , and they do it quicker ... so in terms of intelligence for being a bird they are pretty damn good lol , but being a bird takes a whole different set of senses and processing that we do not ... for instance I can MIMIC a parrot , and perhaps have a clue of the general gist of what it wants , but this same parrot , over time and learning can mimic me AND apply those abilities contextually ... so in that way they are smarter than us LOL!

    I cant see a parrot building a SAAB , nor the roadways to enjoy one on, but it doesnt need to

    In OUR interpretation of the parrot world we assume Tucos breed intelligence to be up there with the higher end birds, good talkers, with the ability to work stuff out ( mischevious) and apply learned behaviour to new situations ... or she could be dumb as batshit LOL ( well she wouldnt be , just us humans would label her as such )

    So much depends on socialisation and stimulation as well as being challenged and kept mentally occupied... a happy loved budgie might appear more intelligent that even the most expensive parrot locked in a pissy cage in the shade all its life ...who's only interaction is screaming and being bored and hungry

    I predict Tuco will be a cheeky smartarse who will have the ability to keep me on my toes ... its what I deserve
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

    Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011


    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

  3. #603
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    well yes and no Doggington LOL!!!

    https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanf...ian_Sense.html

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4518324/

    This is the thing .. in the past we have always compared animals to US ... and in reality its only oposable thumbs and our forebrains that got us this far up the evolutionary scale ... recent studies have shown parrots in general have more actual brain cells than apes numerically, but package them in a much reduced space ... you have to remember that birds mainly are visual creatures, and they see different spectrums to us , as well as the spectrums we dont see ... their brains process a shyt tonne more sensory info than we do at any given moment , and they do it quicker ... so in terms of intelligence for being a bird they are pretty damn good lol , but being a bird takes a whole different set of senses and processing that we do not ... for instance I can MIMIC a parrot , and perhaps have a clue of the general gist of what it wants , but this same parrot , over time and learning can mimic me AND apply those abilities contextually ... so in that way they are smarter than us LOL!

    I cant see a parrot building a SAAB , nor the roadways to enjoy one on, but it doesnt need to

    In OUR interpretation of the parrot world we assume Tucos breed intelligence to be up there with the higher end birds, good talkers, with the ability to work stuff out ( mischevious) and apply learned behaviour to new situations ... or she could be dumb as batshit LOL ( well she wouldnt be , just us humans would label her as such )

    So much depends on socialisation and stimulation as well as being challenged and kept mentally occupied... a happy loved budgie might appear more intelligent that even the most expensive parrot locked in a pissy cage in the shade all its life ...who's only interaction is screaming and being bored and hungry

    I predict Tuco will be a cheeky smartarse who will have the ability to keep me on my toes ... its what I deserve
    Thats what i like about this, you went into it knowing you'd be p0wned

    At least the bird doesnt have designs on a houseboat....

    But will have to live with the shame of being owned by a blooming architect...
    Fatman, AllyP and emu like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  4. #604
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    well yes and no Doggington LOL!!!

    https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanf...ian_Sense.html

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4518324/

    This is the thing .. in the past we have always compared animals to US ... and in reality its only oposable thumbs and our forebrains that got us this far up the evolutionary scale ... recent studies have shown parrots in general have more actual brain cells than apes numerically, but package them in a much reduced space ... you have to remember that birds mainly are visual creatures, and they see different spectrums to us , as well as the spectrums we dont see ... their brains process a shyt tonne more sensory info than we do at any given moment , and they do it quicker ... so in terms of intelligence for being a bird they are pretty damn good lol , but being a bird takes a whole different set of senses and processing that we do not ... for instance I can MIMIC a parrot , and perhaps have a clue of the general gist of what it wants , but this same parrot , over time and learning can mimic me AND apply those abilities contextually ... so in that way they are smarter than us LOL!

    I cant see a parrot building a SAAB , nor the roadways to enjoy one on, but it doesnt need to

    In OUR interpretation of the parrot world we assume Tucos breed intelligence to be up there with the higher end birds, good talkers, with the ability to work stuff out ( mischevious) and apply learned behaviour to new situations ... or she could be dumb as batshit LOL ( well she wouldnt be , just us humans would label her as such )

    So much depends on socialisation and stimulation as well as being challenged and kept mentally occupied... a happy loved budgie might appear more intelligent that even the most expensive parrot locked in a pissy cage in the shade all its life ...who's only interaction is screaming and being bored and hungry

    I predict Tuco will be a cheeky smartarse who will have the ability to keep me on my toes ... its what I deserve
    but the Q was smell?

    one of us two is showing how few brain cells apes have, probably me
    Fatman and stylemessiah like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  5. #605
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Vic,up near the Murray
    Posts
    17,896
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    but the Q was smell?

    one of us two is showing how few brain cells apes have, probably me
    and the concensus is shifting Doggy ,, as you see in the scholarly articles linked

    All About Birds : Do birds have a sense of smell?

    Birds Can Smell, and One Scientist is Leading the Charge to Prove It | Audubon

    Avian olfactory receptor gene repertoires: evidence for a well-developed sense of smell in birds? | Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences

    So science is beginning to understand that birds do indeed have an olfactory system ... its important in some , and not so in others ...
    Dont forget they also have SIX senses ( with magnetic orientation ) ... most humans couldnt point east if the sun was rising on the horizon LOL!
    Last edited by Fatman; 10-01-18 at 10:13 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

    Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011


    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

  6. #606
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Yes, he doesnt know when to leave bally well alone....

    Thas it, the next package i send him will only contain stuff for Fergus...
    That's OK, Fergus likes his treatmail, while I appear to have everything I need :-D (Edit: except a money tree, if anyone has one I can take a cutting from... )

    It's interesting though, folks on this forum are now piffing treats for Fergus. I should give him his own login, but he seems more interested in Mrs Fabs facebook (our next Westie is most likely to be from the Westie Rescue facebook page, I suspect.)

    Fergus' favourite treats are definitely the liver (lamb's) that I DIY for him (zero preservatives, zero junk). Drying that stuff in the oven stinks up the house something awful though...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 10-01-18 at 10:28 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  7. #607
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    That's OK, Fergus likes his treatmail, while I appear to have everything I need :-D (Edit: except a money tree, if anyone has one I can take a cutting from... )

    It's interesting though, folks on this forum are now piffing treats for Fergus. I should give him his own login, but he seems more interested in Mrs Fabs facebook (our next Westie is most likely to be from the Westie Rescue facebook page, I suspect.)

    Fergus' favourite treats are definitely the liver (lamb's) that I DIY for him (zero preservatives, zero junk). Drying that stuff in the oven stinks up the house something awful though...
    The money tree line is something id expect from my nanna (if i had any left), next you'll be talking about yuor gammy knee.....

    What??????, other folks are sending him care packages, and i thought i was special

    Another westie, well its not like anyone has just 1 for too long....its when you start collecting everything with a pciture of a westie on it it becomes an issue

    Hehe, ive never done home cooked liver treats, maybe for that reason...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 11-01-18 at 12:55 AM.
    AllyP likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  8. #608
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Daylesford, Victoria
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Well the DNA is in .... once again Fab was correct !!!! ( Is there anything he dont know????? )

    For the record Tuco is indeed a girl

    Sorry to all the yellow beak fans , shes gonna go black in a year or two

    ( Its more slimming anyhow )

    Hooray! I was secretly wishing for a girl but didn't want to Jinx it - she will be stunning as she grows - black beak & All
    Fatman, DogMan and stylemessiah like this.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker


  9. #609
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,739
    people sometimes try to PIF treats for quack

    he is quite a nervy puppy-bird, and has very particular taste

    but i give them to him, sometimes leaving him distressed for a week

    ally gave him paresely when she visited, he did like that
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  10. #610
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    its when you start collecting everything with a pciture of a westie on it it becomes an issue
    Ummmmm, Mrs Fab has started ordering Westie paraphernalia off the internets. If you can think of it, we have one either in the shape of Westie, or it has a picture of a Westie on it. (Not quite that bad, but I am starting to have nightmares).

    Hehe, ive never done home cooked liver treats, maybe for that reason...
    You can use calf liver, if you can find it. THAT just smells like roast beef. Yummy...
    Fatman, stylemessiah and AllyP like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

 

 
Page 61 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 04:46 PM.