Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Two Wheelers, Motorcycle Advise needed

AVF Regular

Two Wheelers, Motorcycle Advise needed

Hi Folks,

You guys are my fav forum so i thought i'd post it here rather than a motorcycle specific forum.
    I'm in the market for a 2nd hand motorcycle and need some advise.

I've ridden a fair few motorcycles and have a full license.
    My riding experience includes almost the whole of thailand, the whole of NZ and most parts of asia.
    I've rode a Yamaha R6, a hayabusa, an Aprilia Rs126, Honda Er6n a BMW GS1300 and a whole lot of sports bikes ranging from 600 to 1000 cc.
    Basically, i have a decent amount of riding experiece, both on/off road and on official track days.
    Problem is, most of these bikes were rented, a mates, or bought first hand and i never had to "buy" a second hand bike.
    Now that i've semi-moved to Australia, i'm keen on picking up a relatively decent second hand bike and i need suggestions.
    I'm preferably after a sports bike that must be upwards of 600cc and need some advice. Ideally, it doesnt break the bank as i'll probably move it on after 2 years and dont want to make a huge loss on it at the same time.
    Budget wise, anything under 10 grand should do, ideally in the 6-8 grand range.
    The R6's and Gixxers should be something that i'm used to and wouldnt mind getting, but i'm open to suggestions.
    The thought of having to buy a second hand motorcycle kills me though. I hate not knowing what the previous owner did to the bike and i hate taking risks when it comes to purchasing second hand bikes. I dont want to purchase a lemon.
    I've started looking for bikes on Bikesales.com.au but thats about all the looking i've done.
    Anyone has any suggestions on what i should get/where to get/ what to look out for?

Cheers

AVF Regular
    Ive always been with Kawasaki for reliability ie ZZR600, although having said that theres a few nice ones by other makers,
    What are you after fairings or naked? or doesn't matter?
    One day Ill dig my 99'ZX9r out again :/

what to look out for? goodle racing specs and ties required for track days, esp if low kms some will try to palm off a track day bike that's been thrashed on track, looking for the ties they use under the fairings,
    If I find pics of that Ill post but you might know already what I'm referring too.

Good luck keep it rubber side down when you get one!
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    No sorry Max. My postie bike is not for sale. It might overpower you a bit anyway, seeing your riding history.
    maxsmd and Sully like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Honda VFR800 or a BMW.
    MelbVFR and Sully like this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    + 1 for the VFR ! - Pre-VTEC - Bullet Proof ! - just sold my 2000 model - 94 k on the clock - still going like clockwork - comfortable commuter - with enough for some fun on the twisties on the weekend !
    Sully likes this.

AVF Regular
    Even thou my blood is green (Kwaka's) Ill +2 that VFR
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    I have a VFR12 and a R1150R and I can't decide which one I prefer.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    Oh no! Bikes creep me out! Yeah they're really fun and economical and everything but I work with the ambo's so whenever I think of motorbikes I think of the term "degloved" :/

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Ive always been with Kawasaki for reliability ie ZZR600, although having said that theres a few nice ones by other makers,
    What are you after fairings or naked? or doesn't matter?
    One day Ill dig my 99'ZX9r out again :/

what to look out for? goodle racing specs and ties required for track days, esp if low kms some will try to palm off a track day bike that's been thrashed on track, looking for the ties they use under the fairings,
    If I find pics of that Ill post but you might know already what I'm referring too.

Good luck keep it rubber side down when you get one!
    Yes, thank you for that reminder!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    Honda VFR800 or a BMW.
    Interesting. Never considered a VFR.
    I'm familiar with BMW's but was wondering on long term maintenance costs?
    I've heard that if something goes on a BM, i'm screwed. Much easier to fix a lemon honda/yammie as opposed to a lemon BMW.
    fridgemagnet likes this.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast