Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: web site builder with ecommerce

AVF Regular

web site builder with ecommerce

Looking for advice on a good web site builder that allows for some ecommerce transactions for a possible agri business (organic pepperberries, saffron, wasabi and similar)
    moderate to harder complexity ok
    hosted in au preferred but not essential
    10 to 50 pages tops
    ecommerce such as zip pay and paypal
    email alerts on activity such as enquiry or purchase
    traffic stats
    SEO friendly
    not sure what else is a requirement at this stage

good ideas welcomed

CMB
    Have a look at wordpress and woocommerce.

A little more involved perhaps than a hosted site builder, but still pretty easy, heaps of themes and support out there.
    MrGruffy and 1ynne like this.

AVF Regular
    why a web site builder? a better, relocatable website can be obtained by using self hosted wordpress as a content management system, that you can host where you choose , customise as you choose and own, via back ups.. you can spend a lot of time customising website builders.. and then decide you do not like it.. and then have to start all over again if you move to a new hosting service.

if you want to manage and update it yourself..why not Wordpress. easily customised and updated.... if you are not comfortable with the ecommerce part.. why not a web service that will set up and manage and maintain that professionally... I would suggest hosting and maintenance be in Aus and it should not cost an arm and a leg...
    CMB and MrGruffy like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    As long as you never go near wix you will not have the worst website on the internet

Im not a huge fan of wordpress, dagnabbit, i remember when people like me had to actually write everything from scratch...<original tagster>

I retired from building sites about 6 years ago after i spent countless hours building a property website (including a property display and search backend that shat on domains/realestate.coms) after the guy who approached my employer for some "help" on it so he could build and maintain it turned into he watched while i built it, then didnt pay me, and instead went out and paid for a "turnkey solution" he found in a marketing blog. Though i never saw a cent, karma got him as his "turnkey solution" never worked, and therefore neither did his property business

I would rather punch myself in the nuts now than ever get back into being involved in website design/building
    MrGruffy, 1ynne and Fenix Vapours like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 25/06/17

CMB
    Wordpress does tick all the boxes Mr G was asking for though.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it myself in that it gets overused by lazy developers, but it does have its place and for a CMS is pretty decent.
    MrGruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Apart from it's table structure being horrid and almost non existent

Nopcommerce isn't bad either
    MrGruffy likes this.
    RIP 22.12.2016

Super Moderator
    website ... meh

but is this where you make a list for the goodies?

1. FMx1
    BrianS, MrGruffy and stylemessiah like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    website ... meh

but is this where you make a list for the goodies?

1. FMx1
    2. rockmoose x1
    There you go MrG, just handball the whole shebang to FM. He'll sort it for you.

He will even be your paypal, if you stick your card in the right slot.
    Fatman and MrGruffy like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    May I?

The only suggestions I will make are not really "suggestions", rather "don't follow them if you're a ^%#^ idiot".

Whatever you end up using, own it. Completely. You own every bit of it, one way or another and can make whatever changes you wish to make or have them made on your behalf. Rely on others to make changes to your site at your choosing, as in they change it when you ask and whoever you ask can make changes. This doesn't mean you own the software specifically, but that you do own the rights to do to it whatever you wish to for your own benefit.

Make sure it's portable. As in you can take it from one host to another host whenever you wish to. You might own all the content, but if you're locked into a specific host, you're ^&%$^% if that host can't deliver it's promise. In that vein, see into whether the content you put in can be transplanted into alternative software easily. Again, if the software you use isn't working, being able to change what you use without fuss can be very, very handy.

Pretty much any and all e-commerce solutions will take Paypal without much effort, I'd expect zip pay would have plug ins for most common e-commerce softwares either supplied from zip pay or from whoever makes the e-commerce software, and that's only if it's not already built in.

On the subject of plug ins, take a look at what's available in that regard to tailor it to your needs. More is better usually, and you may not know what you need now so having choices available for later is important.

I won't recommend what I use, as it's absolutely not user friendly to a noob like me, although I learned enough to get it up and running and working without much external help. I'm lucky, I have top notch geek support close at hand that manages to work out my requests. And because I won't recommend what I use and haven't really looked at anything else too hard (because migration at this point would be a cast-iron-PITA) I can't suggest anything specific.

Make sure whatever you end up with is updated regularly and complies with the required security protocols and that your site host is willing and able to do the same. If the host gives you anything close to "we don't do that" or "you don't need that" and you're sure you need it, walk immediately.

The hosting service need not be in Australia, although I can understand your desire for it being so. My site is worked on from Oz, interfaced to from Japan, hosted in Canada, payments through Singapore and the SSL comes from the US through a Japanese portal. It's all over the place, but it all works together quite well.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd probably go about it all a very different way. Now, it's so entrenched and tailored for me I'm kind of stuck with what I have...

Stu.
    MrGruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Agree with Stu - own it - and extending this idea - buy your domain name yourself directly from a domain registrar, buy your hosting separately from your domain name - that way, if all goes pear shaped with your hosting, you will at least be able to move your site to new hosting and restore it via back ups. Have a look at Whirlpool forum and read the horror stories and make an informed choice !

I only recommended WordPress because it provides a user friendly, well documented, easily set up, easily maintained option- its solid, stable and a reasonable price .. ie free ! it has security issues, which can be overcome by regular updates and regular backup and you have the option to increase security via plug-ins - and you can install themes which look professional .. and an even purchase Wordpress Themes where all the hard design work has been done ie https://themeforest.net/category/wordpress - any some of the themeforest developers do offer a customisation service as an extra.

Your first website, does not have to be your final website, it just has to work and provide an online presence, for starters ! the bells and whistles are always best incorporated after time when you have more of an idea what is absolutely necessary

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast