Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Budget Smartphone

  1. #11
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    1,379

    Budget Smartphone

    Max,
    If you're after a international phone for a reasonable price I would recommend the Oneplus series. They are great phones for fraction of the price.

    As for screen replacement, it's not an easy task to replace just the glass itself. Removing the glass is easy but putting it on requires patience and precision. Also you need to be gentle when placing it back otherwise there's a high chance of cracking the LCD. Between the glass and LCD there's UV bond adhesive glue. Proper way is to use the liquid glue to bond it together so the touch screen respond correctly. Most third party repair shop use the cheaper adhesive glue sticker sheets. Works for several months then the screen doesn't respond in some places.
    Best option is to replace the whole front screen + LCD assembly. 2nd best option is to have Samsung replace it. Try to get a quote and see.
    Last option sell it and have someone have the fun of breaking it lol.

    Honestly I don't recommend fixing it yourself if you're thinking about replacing only the cracked glass unless you have experience in replacing them and even then the risk is still high.
    Speaking from experience lol
    Last edited by iamtezr; 05-08-17 at 12:09 AM.

  2. #12
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    4,897
    I have used HTC phones forever - dont even have to spend a fortune on them anymore - fleabay often has some good deals both new and second hand
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Support the closed autocratic NNA AU lobby group-
    Give money, sign and fill what we say then STFU- its called unity!

    You actually thought that your action & thoughts matter?Its "experts" only buddy
    Pfft don't like it?... go away and start your own
    All Hail the NNA AU vape overlords!
    Delete & block the negative! It never happened- its in the past MKAY?
    (or face members & supporters wrath & tears...)
    Infiltrate, Dominate & assimilate all unbelievers..Welcome to the new NNA AU echo chamber

  3. #13
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtezr View Post
    Max,
    If you're after a international phone for a reasonable price I would recommend the Oneplus series. They are great phones for fraction of the price.

    As for screen replacement, it's not an easy task to replace just the glass itself. Removing the glass is easy but putting it on requires patience and precision. Also you need to be gentle when placing it back otherwise there's a high chance of cracking the LCD. Between the glass and LCD there's UV bond adhesive glue. Proper way is to use the liquid glue to bond it together so the touch screen respond correctly. Most third party repair shop use the cheaper adhesive glue sticker sheets. Works for several months then the screen doesn't respond in some places.
    Best option is to replace the whole front screen + LCD assembly. 2nd best option is to have Samsung replace it. Try to get a quote and see.
    Last option sell it and have someone have the fun of breaking it lol.

    Honestly I don't recommend fixing it yourself if you're thinking about replacing only the cracked glass unless you have experience in replacing them and even then the risk is still high.
    Speaking from experience lol
    Yeah ive been looking at the OnePlus 5, since the ROM dev of the ROM on XDA i use has bought one, but wow, the price....not to mention OnePlus's international buying page 404's...
    Kogan sells them for like $759

    Ill wait until a secondsies comes up on the bay at some point at a reasonable price....the newer Samsungs for me are less attractive...all they do now is add gimmicks that you'll never use...

    As for diy'ing...at least Sammys are relatively straight forward...unlike bloody crApple phones...last time i fixed disleys iphone, i had to buy $40 worth of the special screwdrivers just to get it apart because crApple wont use standard screws even...of course you get crApple stuff open and reveal just how poorly made they are...badly designed to boot...his iPhone 4's aerial contact was one tiny 3mm square gold contact (this was the model you migth remember had reception issues, to which rcrApple blamed their users for "holding it wrong")...as opposed to the Sammys usual 4-6 substantial bent wire contacts...and Apple hoodwinks people into buying their gear for $1000...sadly that led to all other premium phone makers charging similar prices, otherwise the price gap would make it appear as though they are less in quality...when in fact that truth is inverse...

    crApple is the root of many evils...
    fabricator4 and disley like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  4. #14
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    1,379

    Budget Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Yeah ive been looking at the OnePlus 5, since the ROM dev of the ROM on XDA i use has bought one, but wow, the price....not to mention OnePlus's international buying page 404's...
    Kogan sells them for like $759

    Ill wait until a secondsies comes up on the bay at some point at a reasonable price....the newer Samsungs for me are less attractive...all they do now is add gimmicks that you'll never use...

    As for diy'ing...at least Sammys are relatively straight forward...unlike bloody crApple phones...last time i fixed disleys iphone, i had to buy $40 worth of the special screwdrivers just to get it apart because crApple wont use standard screws even...of course you get crApple stuff open and reveal just how poorly made they are...badly designed to boot...his iPhone 4's aerial contact was one tiny 3mm square gold contact (this was the model you migth remember had reception issues, to which rcrApple blamed their users for "holding it wrong")...as opposed to the Sammys usual 4-6 substantial bent wire contacts...and Apple hoodwinks people into buying their gear for $1000...sadly that led to all other premium phone makers charging similar prices, otherwise the price gap would make it appear as though they are less in quality...when in fact that truth is inverse...

    crApple is the root of many evils...
    Dam didn't realize it's up to 5 now. Last time I looked was up to 2-3 but that was a while ago, start of last year I think.

    ETA: also I find linage OS runs nicely on the S4. A lot more smooth than the previous CM13
    Last edited by iamtezr; 05-08-17 at 12:34 AM.

  5. #15
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtezr View Post
    Dam didn't realize it's up to 5 now. Last time I looked was up to 2-3 but that was a while ago, start of last year I think.

    ETA: also I find linage OS runs nicely on the S4. A lot more smooth than the previous CM13
    ypu, up to 5...apparently quite impressive...stories of reviewers being unable to find a way to make it lag for starters

    I run optimised LOS 14.1 on my S4

    CM13...yup, POS
    iamtezr likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  6. #16
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    ypu, up to 5...apparently quite impressive...stories of reviewers being unable to find a way to make it lag for starters

    I run optimised LOS 14.1 on my S4

    CM13...yup, POS
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtezr View Post
    Dam didn't realize it's up to 5 now. Last time I looked was up to 2-3 but that was a while ago, start of last year I think.

    ETA: also I find linage OS runs nicely on the S4. A lot more smooth than the previous CM13
    Thanks Tez for your earlier recommendations and advice!
    These quotes are just one of the reasons i hate tech....
    Dafug are you people on about?
    iamtezr and rockmoose like this.

  7. #17
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Thanks Tez for your earlier recommendations and advice!
    These quotes are just one of the reasons i hate tech....
    Dafug are you people on about?
    Custom ROMs like LineageOS = custom versions of android that you can install instead of the manufacturer installed android. Because android is open source, unlike iOS, anyone can customise and build their own version of android.

    This is sometimes done simply to remove bloat (preinstalled apps and manufacturer tweaks) or to fix issues the manufacturer can't/won't (case in point in my old S4 the first truly bug free kernel was released nearly 3 years after Samsung stopped supporting it, due only to xda community members) or to add features.

    Custom ROMs come with a potential downside, especially if you're packing a new phone, they void your warranty on most phones, they require you to perform rituals to unlock the bootloader on some phones and not knowing what you're doing can result in you bricking your device..leaving it unable to boot.

    Often this also means regularly updating or flashing new builds of the ROM as they are released...far more updated than the over the air updates via the manufacturer and your phone carrier (delays because the manufacturer has to build and test updates, and then send them to the carrier's who then test them (and add bloat usually) before you get it 6 months later...and often already outdated from a security aspect)

    For most people they go through gadget life completely unaware you don't have to use what the manufacturer serves up with regards to the devices OS, and that's fine, and recommended if you're not a fiddler/techie.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    maxsmd and iamtezr like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  8. #18
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    iamtezr likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  9. #19
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Something you're recommending?

  10. #20
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,426
    For a cheap bang up no frills smartphone iI thought this was a great deal.
    https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/samsung...0f-16gb-black/

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    maxsmd likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 03:18 AM.