Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Budget Smartphone

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    So the glass only is cracked/damaged? The screen (under the glass) itself is actually 2 parts, though are fitted (and replaced) together, the screen, and the digitzer...the digitizer being the part that registers the touches. Then theres the fact the screen is glued to the glass...making the job of replacing either the glass or the screen tricky...

Theres no super easy way to fix this yourself as per my ifixit link the other day, or these youtube videos for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4ogzyZ6C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyECCSa5hGU

The replacement screen and digitizer is $150 and up....

As for a paid service, heres Samsung recommended retail price list for their phones...that recommended: Recommended Retail Pricing | Samsung AU

Your best initial step is to go and ask Samsung for a quote to fix it at their actual store if you have one nearby

For third party shops...heres a quick blurb and price form a well known mod here in Sydney: Samsung Galaxy S6 Screen Repair Sydney | Fone FIx

Even they advise trying Samsung first, as apparently its a pain in the bum to repair...
    Thanks Style.
    Will check the official route out. But i remember them trying to gouge me on my very old samsung before so have always avoided that route.
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    I run optimised LOS 14.1 on my S4

CM13...yup, POS
    yeah i will admit, back in the day i found this little dev for the s3 called cyanide.
    His roms were vastly superior to CM.

with a little tweaking i managed to get the battery drain on the S3 halved under load and the boot time to under 10 seconds.
    I could never do that on a CM build.

Although im currently looking for a new phone, one of the cores in my s3 has shit itself.
    Its not the primary thankfully but i cant use shit like the camera or heavy load apps anymore

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    yeah i will admit, back in the day i found this little dev for the s3 called cyanide.
    His roms were vastly superior to CM.

with a little tweaking i managed to get the battery drain on the S3 halved under load and the boot time to under 10 seconds.
    I could never do that on a CM build.

Although im currently looking for a new phone, one of the cores in my s3 has shit itself.
    Its not the primary thankfully but i cant use shit like the camera or heavy load apps anymore
    Theres devs like that for almost every device, for the S4 people its been a dev called side, he has done optimized versions of CM/LOS, though hes stopped building for Nougat, and theres already work on Oreo ROM's for the old S4, i had one installed last week....until that dev decided to jump from improving the Oreo 8.0 ROM to the Oreo 8.1 developers preview...and introduced issues that werent there in the 8.0 build...sometimes a jump to the bleeding bleeding edge is just silly. I went back to official CM/LOS 7.1.2 untl they mature 8.0/8.1. But it goes to show that even older devices arent dead and you dont have to be like an crApple sheep and buy a new phone every 6 motnhs. My previous phone was an S2, and i had that for years after Samsung stopped doing updates, thanks of course to the XDA forums devs.
    My rule of thumb is when the phone or battery really wears out, i jump on the bay and grab a secondsies galaxy two versions up from the last...never spent more than $150 for a phone, grab new battery for $30, and they then give me like 3 years use. At this rate ill have an S6 in about 2 years $1000 for a flagship phone (because its new and i have to follow the trend), no thanks, i can wait and grab it for $150, spend $30 on a new battery and live happily ever after.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 16-11-17 at 11:31 AM.
    Crisscross, Fatman and disley like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Yeah ive been looking at the OnePlus 5, since the ROM dev of the ROM on XDA i use has bought one, but wow, the price....not to mention OnePlus's international buying page 404's...
    Kogan sells them for like $759

Ill wait until a secondsies comes up on the bay at some point at a reasonable price....the newer Samsungs for me are less attractive...all they do now is add gimmicks that you'll never use...

As for diy'ing...at least Sammys are relatively straight forward...unlike bloody crApple phones...last time i fixed disleys iphone, i had to buy $40 worth of the special screwdrivers just to get it apart because crApple wont use standard screws even...of course you get crApple stuff open and reveal just how poorly made they are...badly designed to boot...his iPhone 4's aerial contact was one tiny 3mm square gold contact (this was the model you migth remember had reception issues, to which rcrApple blamed their users for "holding it wrong")...as opposed to the Sammys usual 4-6 substantial bent wire contacts...and Apple hoodwinks people into buying their gear for $1000...sadly that led to all other premium phone makers charging similar prices, otherwise the price gap would make it appear as though they are less in quality...when in fact that truth is inverse...

crApple is the root of many evils...
    The iphone was rubbish.
    It hasn't given me a problem since Style fixed it.

AVF Regular
    I would be wary personally of ordering a generic phone from OS

Id go with MrG... a Kogan generic special over that, or any of the reasonably priced Samsungs/Moto around the same price...get an actual warranty as a bonus

https://www.kogan.com/au/shop/phones...order_by=price

As always you also have to check that the phone youre looking at supports your carrier

Heres the general list: https://www.whistleout.com.au/Mobile...rk-frequencies

And the Whirlpool one will give you the B numbers for 4G/LTE: Australian Mobile Network Frequencies
    The Moto G5 is a solid phone considering the price its a bargin
    Also the LG phones in the same category are great for cheap.

Officeworks have these ones for ~$250

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234