Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Budget Smartphone

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    701

    Budget Smartphone

    Howdy AVF,

    Fastech has a smartphone on preorder that to the untrained eye, looks pretty good.
    Kind of need some help here choosing a smartphone.
    I've been using samsung my whole life and i'm currently on a samsung s6 edge with a smashed screen.
    At 200 usd, this phone (Ulefone T1) looks pretty solid.
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...lte-smartphone

    Does it look like a decent deal?
    Or do you have any other recommendations on budget phones?
    Heard that the xiaomi range is relatively ok as well.. Thoughts?

    Cheers,
    Max

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,440
    Kogan agora ftw.


  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Kogan agora ftw.
    Isnt the specs of the ulefone better?
    Although those numbers dont mean anything to me because i have no idea what they do in terms of real world performance.
    Things like the processor and ram etc... arent they better on the ulefone?

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    I would be wary personally of ordering a generic phone from OS

    Id go with MrG... a Kogan generic special over that, or any of the reasonably priced Samsungs/Moto around the same price...get an actual warranty as a bonus

    https://www.kogan.com/au/shop/phones...order_by=price

    As always you also have to check that the phone youre looking at supports your carrier

    Heres the general list: https://www.whistleout.com.au/Mobile...rk-frequencies

    And the Whirlpool one will give you the B numbers for 4G/LTE: Australian Mobile Network Frequencies
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 04-08-17 at 10:29 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,171
    I dunno... but the plain labels kinda worry me... and the batteries... I bought a throw away ..a Moto g5 plus... and never threw it away.... it just works lol

    What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    Im worse, whenever what Sx im on dies or the custom ROM im using from XDA stops being developed, i go on the bay and buy a secondsies S a series or two higher and set my limit at $150

    I went from my S2 ($150 and pristine when i bought it secondsies) which i had for eons to my current S4 ($150 and pristine when i bought it secondsies) 2 years ago

    I dont play games, and its just a phone to me, that i sometimes use a few apps on when im out in the field fixing stuff....i really dont get people (especially apple sheeple who are responsible for the current gadget affluence virus now in every area of society - i blame Apple ultimately for this crap, and for the increase in ewaste and landfill), who buy a $1,000 phone every 6 months...gadget affluence...aspirational technology virus...we need to cure people of this crap
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 04-08-17 at 10:40 PM.
    disley, fixit and Wombats1 like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    701
    Thank you for the comments!!
    I agree style. I hate shelling out 1000 dollars on a bloody phone that i rarely use.
    I have a second hand s6 edge.. no way was i going to shell out 900 bucks on a new set...

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Moving 1000km closer to civilisation
    Posts
    7,694
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Thank you for the comments!!
    I agree style. I hate shelling out 1000 dollars on a bloody phone that i rarely use.
    I have a second hand s6 edge.. no way was i going to shell out 900 bucks on a new set...
    If it's just that the screen is smashed, also check out screen replacement services. It usually works out way cheaper than a new phone.

    Edit: Samsung has it's own version of the Android interface. It's very polished and in many ways is an improvement over the generic android interface (they keep stealing stuff off apple, but just the best bits). I've got a Samsung phone, but also have a tablet with the generic Android user interface. I prefer the polished interface any day, and that cheaper phone seems to have something that isn't too far removed from the generic stuff.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 04-08-17 at 11:04 PM.
    maxsmd likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.


  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    If it's just that the screen is smashed, also check out screen replacement services. It usually works out way cheaper than a new phone.

    Edit: Samsung has it's own version of the Android interface. It's very polished and in many ways is an improvement over the generic android interface (they keep stealing stuff off apple, but just the best bits). I've got a Samsung phone, but also have a tablet with the generic Android user interface. I prefer the polished interface any day, and that cheaper phone seems to have something that isn't too far removed from the generic stuff.
    Screen replacement, depending on the model, is a double edged sword...if the screen requires heating to remove...i know people who paid to have a screen fixed on a screen that required heating to remove to find while the screen was fixed they'd inherited a dodgy mainboard etc when they got it back, would have been cheaper to buy a new cheap/budget phone in the end...with a new warranty

    Its theoretically possible to do a screen replacement yourself, if you find a legit replacement screen and its cheap enough to warrant trying the diy method

    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/44657
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 04-08-17 at 11:21 PM.
    MrGruffy, fabricator4 and iamtezr like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Screen replacement, depending on the model, is a double edged sword...if the screen requires heating to remove...i know people who paid to have a screen fixed on a screen that required heating to remove to find while the screen was fixed they'd inherited a dodgy mainboard etc when they got it back, would have been cheaper to buy a new cheap/budget phone in the end...with a new warranty

    Its theoretically possible to do a screen replacement yourself, if you find a legit replacement screen and its cheap enough to warrant trying the diy method

    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/44657
    i'm extremely likely to smash the back glass and screw the internals further. Sticking away from diy this time.
    stylemessiah likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 03:18 AM.