Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Any mechanically inclined types here?

AVF Regular
    Actually that reminds me of the Toyota MR2... the old one.. mid engined, RWD... except for the 5 seats etc.. lol
    Last edited by gurishka; 04-09-17 at 09:52 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    I chit you not, that's twice the size of the turbo in it. If you've ever heard of the fabled tiny turbo, the TD02, that's what it's got. Rebuilt turbos are about $430 off Amazon.

Kinda cool actually if you reveal it in the right way...

RWD.
    Mid Engine.
    Turbo.
    Variable valve timing and a 7+K redline.

660cc, limited to 64hp, 4 seats, 5 doors.

Stu.
    Not much slower than my sister's fiat 500 twinair it's a 0.9L turbo 77kw lol but it's extremely zippy. I wish I had bought that for myself instead

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    That's the thing, I've checked it all mechanically and running pressure wherever pressure 'makes it tick' and checked all the lines and no leaks to speak of. Wastegate actuator is working, and as it's now producing boost the actual 'spooling up -> making pressure' seems to be working fine.

Used to be you could barely hear it spooling up, now it's distinctly noticeable and the only 'problem' part I found was that clunky BOV which I thought should operate a lot smoother than it was. It's just that it's quite small (as is the whole setup) and I didn't think it would flow that much air to drain the intake pressure off all the time without being completely overwhelmed and letting some pressure through. Maybe it was letting some through but being so down on power it was hard to tell.

Otherwise the engine itself is running fine. No smoke, no hiccups, no dramas of any kind. Fuel and spark and all the rest seem fine, no check engine light and I'll be checking for any codes tomorrow when a proper scanner arrives.

I'll take it for a trip in an hour or so and see that it's still got it's pep.

The confusing part was that there was no noise from the turbo like it usually did along with no power. Maybe when it's not under any load (as in dumping all the pressure) it wasn't working very hard and made no noise? Really odd, which is why I'm asking.

If I didn't stumble across that questionable BOV, soapy water was the next thing to try along with the air compressor supplying the air. I'll pull the BOV on Sunday and give it a birthday anyway, just to make sure it's working as well as it can. A genuine replacement is about $150, which I'm not going to spend on this thing and don't want a whooshy one so might have to try find a used one if this one is the culprit and doesn't come good.

Not that any of this is important. It's the second car, somewhat disposable and only used for short trips. When it dies, I hope we can snaffle the electric version to replace it, if it'll ever die. 150K km, and the engine itself runs like a Russian tractor. Not sweet, but sounds like it'll never stop running...

Stu.
    If its working for now, then don't spend any money on it just yet. Wait to see when then same symptoms appear then find a second hand part for it.
    Could just be the valve was caught for some unknown reason (cold weather and engine heat wasnt warm enough, *shrug* who knows) but glad its back to normal. Don't spend money when you don't have to

AVF Regular
    Not going to spend money on it, other than seeing if a service on the offending part makes it happy.

It's had a bit of a hard life really. All documented meticulously but hard none the less.

First 5 years and 90,000km in the hands of a private buyer, all services done at the dealer who then bought it back and used it as a loaner hack for 3 years and 35,000km. Last year in the hands of some 'wheel' company that clocked up another 10,000km or so in a single year. It had all it's services done on time, all recalls fixed (save two we had done, including an airbag inflator and some blinker grease. Yes, blinker grease is real and ours needed replacing...) and when we got it, I drove it and it seemed to be quite good for a 145,000km car.

What I didn't notice was that reverse didn't work when the trans was hot, or would only work with a lot of revs and it'd dump into reverse. A valve problem I couldn't find (had it's brains out twice looking for the blockage) so replaced the trans with a near new used unit and it's been fine ever since. Front suspension needed all new wobbly bits (and a lesson to me to drive the car hard when I test drive) which I did with the only bits I could get my hands on, which were cheap crap and the ball joints need replacing again.

Being a loaner hack, it got driven and anything that went bad, nobody noticed it. I come along, can't stand something unfixed that shouldn't be, so I've got the tools (all of which I already had, back in Oz) and fixed it all myself. Nobody really does that here, which is why it's so difficult to find parts. That situation has improved, but there are a lot of parts I can't get, some I can't get easily and in most cases, only genuine parts are available so not exactly cheap. That said it cost us about $2500 to buy, I've put another $6-700 into it, and another $100 or so to go and it'll be a solid little car for the local bashing around. Considering how well the 'good' bits are, we've done real well out of it, and I figure another couple years before we swap it for something else.

Gurishka, 5 doors, 4 seats. Not allowed to have 5 seats in these things, but you see whole families pile out of them, mum, dad and 3-4 kids. And they wonder why around here has the worst crash statistics in the country. Says so right on the rego envelope...

Still sounds like a cool car, until the ugly truth comes out.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    I'll get to Japan one day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12