Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Game of thrones - May Contain Spoilers

AVF Regular
    I force myself to wait until the season is complete before watching these, so I don't have to wait until the next week. It's not easy but otherwise it tends to mess with my working routine. I like them too much. But because the final episode of Season 2 is only a couple days away I relented and grabbed the first 9 episodes of Season 2 yesterday, and have now watched them all. It was amazing. I've been a tragic fan of the books for a long time, know them backwards, have attended conventions and met the author etc, basically this series ruined reading for me because I've never found anything to match it. But I am really pleased with this adaptation. So long as I remind myself that's what it is - an adaptation - I enjoy it. Episode 9 of the current season was something new for television IMO, I can't recall a TV show where I've ever seen anything quite like it. It outshone most movies I've seen. Action scenes were reminiscent of Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings, and the scenes without action were brilliant too. But in a few days I begin 'the long night', end of season 2
    Tobacco free since my first vape, 21-04-11

heh, when I saw your name I though .. hello, a fan

yeh, the books are amazing, the series 1 was spot on but I have noticed a few drifts from series 2, nothing too extreme though. ep 9 finished downloading an hour ago, might curl up in bed with a stiff drink and have a watch.
    I too have only read a couple of books since reading them, everything else is just .. muted.

Is he as hairy as he looks ? thats a beard and a half..

On a similar genre, I am 25% through the first book of 'The Malazan book of the fallen' .. 'Gardens of the Moon' .. its just started to get really interesting, mage wars rock !

reminds me a little of Clive Barkers work for some reason.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    heh, when I saw your name I though .. hello, a fan

yeh, the books are amazing, the series 1 was spot on but I have noticed a few drifts from series 2, nothing too extreme though. ep 9 finished downloading an hour ago, might curl up in bed with a stiff drink and have a watch.
    I too have only read a couple of books since reading them, everything else is just .. muted.

Is he as hairy as he looks ? thats a beard and a half..

On a similar genre, I am 25% through the first book of 'The Malazan book of the fallen' .. 'Gardens of the Moon' .. its just started to get really interesting, mage wars rock !

reminds me a little of Clive Barkers work for some reason.
    The title for Episode 9 is Blackwater - enough said You will enjoy it.

Agreed about the divergance from the books but it's such a vastly different medium it was always going to be unavoidable. I'm unhappy with just about everything, but at the same time delighted to see it come to life if that makes sense. Overall I like it.

George is very good in person, he laughs like a little kid, likes a drink, never too keen on discussing his books which is understandable but aside from that he was very friendly and happy to interact. We had a good group staying at the same hotel, known as the brotherhood without banners This was years before all the HBO stuff, he clearly has more demands on his time these days. Yeah he is a hairy bastard.

Malazan book of the fallen is brilliant!
    Tobacco free since my first vape, 21-04-11

Immense fan here, books first, otherwise you suck =)

I had to do a quick re-read of the earlier ones as I too started reading them some years ago, and forgot some of the plot intricacies, cannot wait for the next book (yes winter is coming) har har.

I have to agree with Jon Snow, this is one of the few adaptations I am actually really pleased with, I think they did a fantastic job, Peter Dinklage captures Tyrion better than I ever imagined possible, I was highly impressed (also glad they didn't bother with the one black eye thing, it isn't needed imo, Dinklage is just damn awesome).

That said, I have not started to watch season 2 yet either, but watched season 1 several times and have not stopped liking it yet. I also think they cast Bronn very well, oh hell, all of season 1 was some amazing casting I think. Not surprised it will start to sway a tad from the books, again, to regurgitate Jon Snow's thoughts, it is inevitable when changing media forms like this, and I don't find it disappointing if done well.

I am also lacking things to read atm, so, book nerds who liked Thrones, PLEASE do recommend other series you similarly enjoyed?

Rather OTT, but as another series I began reading some years ago that has since been converted to a HBO series, I weirdly enjoy the show True Blood more than I did the books, that's a first ever for me! Harris has an odd writing style though, normally I enjoy odd, but I actually prefer Alan Ball's conversion, I never actually finished all the novels, and I loved the extra inclusion of Tara.
    I put the sass in your squatch

season 2 diverges a good deal more than season 1, which to my eye looked pretty spot on. Next episode 2013 .. noooooo.
    Totally awesome in print and screen.
    Reason True Blood is better on screen .. one word, boobies.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Super Moderator
    Shit, is that it until next season? 10 episodes?
    I remember the good old days when seasons had 24 episodes.

I have a feeling it's nearing a crescendo though.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Most British shows only have 6 or 8 per season. Yanks usually go 24. Obviously there are deviations from the rule :P

Sent from my personal mind control implant.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

Quote Originally Posted by juddyau View Post
    Shit, is that it until next season?

I have a feeling it's nearing a crescendo though.
    Yessiree, dammit.
    There is some HUGE stuff about to happen to a whole bunch of important folks, was really hoping it was in that last episode, but no

Super Moderator
    I thought this was a yank produced show anyway being HBO?

True blood, Sons, Breaking bad must be back soon, surely.

Super Moderator
    I'm interested to see what happens with Jon Snow (highlight to reveal) that he's going to meet the wildlings king..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast