Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stylemessiah
  • 1 Post By Schtoo
  • 1 Post By ybnice

Thread: iPhone question, backing up data?

AVF Regular

iPhone question, backing up data?

Hi All,

So, sis-in-law dragged mum's phone to the shop for an update, which was done, but the passcode was changed in the process and entering the original code 11 times didn't unlock it after the update and now it's locked down. Phone shop said "we can't help you now" and everything I'm reading says it needs a reset, which will delete everything in it.

She hasn't set up any kind of backup through itunes before, so what I'm wondering is can the phone be backed up before the reset or not? Can we plug the phone into itunes on a computer, back it up, then reset and restore all the data?

Simple enough question, can't find a answer that'll explain whether it's possible to do this or not at this stage.

While we're here, please let me be clear for the record that I do not own an i-anything*, never EVER will and the fact that I'm asking here is because while I have zero tolerance for Apple's generally ^%$&^% way of operating, my in laws aren't quite so intolerant of that kind of special BS, and mum-in-law has a phone that needs help. Unfortunately my usual explanation of "iPhone, I don't know" isn't going to work out in this case.

(*FTR, our small car is an i, just the single letter i. Nothing to do with Apple. Bought because it was one of the only Kei cars that's passed EuroNCAP, was cheap and is RWD.)

Stu.

AVF Regular

iPhone question, backing up data?

I'm certain for the update to run you need to enter a passcode in if it was set in the first place. If you've given the passcode to the shop then they would have changed it for some unknown reason instead of leaving it as it is or turning it off.

I know you can back it up via iTunes but unless you know the passcode once you restore the phone, it will ask for the passcode.

Have you tried the obvious passcode that the shop may have changed it to?
    1234? 0000?

ETA: just checked and I recall some people had this issue too. They had to reset then restore.
    But to answer your question, answer is YES, you can backup using iTunes, then you would do a reset follow by a restore. Once it's been restored try your original passcode. Good luck.

Tez
    Last edited by iamtezr; 29-09-17 at 01:42 PM.

AVF Regular
    don't quote me but I think if the devices have been connected to itunes before then your passcode may be on the keychain and may connect

if it does then you can back it up
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    It's locked now, can't put any code into it. I expect when it gets plugged into itunes we'll need a code to reset so may have the chance to try the obvious ones.

I don't know what's happened exactly, nor why it needed to be taken to a shop for the update rather than home here...

I just need to try and salvage what I can from the thing. Might be time for it to take a swim and make the repair shop fix the POS...

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Well, put itunes on a computer, can't back it up so mum-in-law is resigned to losing all data.

However the phone will not co-operate and is still locked up tight.

Turns out the update was done at home, wrong passcode entered 11 times which locked the phone so user error more than anything else. That the phone won't come back to life, even after a lengthy conversation with an Apple person is not user error means my faith in Apple products remains unchanged.

I can only hope this little episode might get at least mum-in-law to ditch the POS. Sis-in-law is a lost cause, even though she's chewed through iphones like a mouse does cheese.

We shall see if it will co-operate, otherwise it's got a date with the toilet bowl/bathtub/hammer and then the repair place on the other side of town...

Stu.

AVF Regular
    1. you were almost certainly never going to be able to bypass passcode. there are theoretical ways, but i have never really wanted to brick an iPhone...

2. backing up a passcoded iphone is pointless, passcode gets restored..they lock their shit down y'all.

3. you prolly need to put the iphone in recovery mode and connect it to itunes to reset it: https://support.apple.com/en-au/ht204306#recovery

I hate Apple crap, even moreso after fixing Disleys iPhone 4s last year...by the time i got it its battery had run down below 0%...never let an iphone get to 0% battery, i wont bore you with why, or you will have to do the recovery reset - if youre lucky it will even work. Thankfully in his case i was able bodge his cruddy usb charge port (1/2 the reason the battery wouldnt charge and went to 0%, alongside a crap battery) long enough to do an iTunes backup ...to restore after the reset.

4. If that doesnt work and you can get into icloud, you can remotely reset
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 29-09-17 at 09:41 PM.
    ybnice likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Looks like there's only a couple options for you.

Put it to recovery mode to restore or log onto your Findmyfriend on the browser and do remote Erase which both method Style has mentioned above.

Instructions are here:
    http://www.iphonerecovery.com/unlock...ipad-ipod.html

Also I can't remember exactly but iCloud backup might be default on or it gave you the option when you first setting up the phone. So you might be in luck after you do the restore you can restore from the iCloud.

AVF Regular
    Got it working, as a phone. Everything is deleted though. Maybe nice and clean now, but still...

Just yet another reason I won't touch any of that apple crap.

About the only drama I have with my phone is the dog chewed the charge cable, and being usb-c at both ends, it's not a cheap-o cable to replace. At least that dog won't chew cords again so it's worth it even if she isn't our dog. Our Ruby did the same thing, but at least she chewed a micro usb which are as cheap as dirt to replace.

Anyway, it's fixed and I hope will be backed up from now on. Why the &*^%^& wasn't this backup all set up when the phone was started?

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Came to naught in the end, but worth a shot all the same.

Stu.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I would check to make sure backup is on and leave it on iCloud backup for now until you've ran out of iCloud storage. At least this way you'll always have a backup even if it's old. Better to have some kind of backup than nothing at all.

You can choose to have a local backup via iTunes later if you wish.

Double check that your backup is on. (Note: mine isn't on)

1. Settings > iCloud
    2. iCloud Drive (optional - stores app data)
    3. Photos > iCloud Photo Library > On
    4. Backup > iCloud Backup > On (there's also an option to do a Backup Now)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    1. you were almost certainly never going to be able to bypass passcode. there are theoretical ways, but i have never really wanted to brick an iPhone...

2. backing up a passcoded iphone is pointless, passcode gets restored..they lock their shit down y'all.

3. you prolly need to put the iphone in recovery mode and connect it to itunes to reset it: https://support.apple.com/en-au/ht204306#recovery

I hate Apple crap, even moreso after fixing Disleys iPhone 4s last year...by the time i got it its battery had run down below 0%...never let an iphone get to 0% battery, i wont bore you with why, or you will have to do the recovery reset - if youre lucky it will even work. Thankfully in his case i was able bodge his cruddy usb charge port (1/2 the reason the battery wouldnt charge and went to 0%, alongside a crap battery) long enough to do an iTunes backup ...to restore after the reset.

4. If that doesnt work and you can get into icloud, you can remotely reset
    Sooooo true re iPhones. Never let it go down to 0 charge. Just a nightmare to get the Apple Logo to show again. Only way I did it was heaps of times hitting the Home and Power Off button at same time - eventually it clicked in to charge.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    ""Tootle Puffer" on Starter Kits.