Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: How I hate my 'puter ,,, let us count the ways

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)

How I hate my 'puter ,,, let us count the ways

It's to late now 'puter,
    you started it !!!

1. Windoze 10 is a internet hog ???
    2. Everything after Win XP doesn't like my hardware ?!?
    3. XP seems to be a unsuported
    4. More to come ...
    5. Much more to come ...

Last edited by Snidely_Whiplash; 18-01-18 at 04:36 AM.
    Fatman likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidely_Whiplash View Post

It's to late now 'puter, you started it !!!
    Well, I think you already know what our responses are going to be...

[1]Windoze 10 is a internet hog
    It really shouldn't be. If you follow all the tips available to stop all the snoopy things Windows does, all the advertising and other Putz (like the microsoft store and other "helpful" things, and if you discount the updates... it should just be pretty normal. Of course the update schema you are handed is pretty awful...

[2]Everything after Win XP doesn't like my hardware
    Well to be fair, even Linux has trouble with 20 year old hardware. You'd think that something as simple as an old graphics card would be no problem, but the fact is that the support was pretty bad to start with, and as things changed it got broken more. The problem with old hardware is that it's old - no one wants to pay to develop new support routines for old hardware that fewer and fewer people are using. The real crunch came when 64 bit OS's became mainstream - that instantly made the old drivers useless, and no one seems to want to write decent updated driver modules for orphaned hardware when the new stuff performs much better and they'd actually get paid to do it.

[3]XP seems to be a unsuported
    XP was released in 2001, and was supported for 14 years, more than three times what it should have been. We went from the Celeron 800 processor to the I7-5775 at 3.3 GHz in that time. That's like comparing something with the processing power of a bad tablet with modern high performance gaming or 3D CAD machine. It had got to the point that they were making very little money out of XP, and it was actually costing them large amounts of money to support all those "enterprise" customers out there - most of whom were in China and hadn't actually bought the OS in the first place. XP was holding Microsoft back. Mind you, some people might say that was a good thing...

[4]Get mad, or Get even...

Since you're dealing with OS culture shock anyway, why not do it properly and install Ubuntu (or any other Linux flavour you want to try). I gave Microsoft the big FU around 1992, so my perspective is probably a bit unique in this regard. I've always valued freedom of choice over using junk that was handed to me. Yes it was challenging sometimes (with old graphics cards for example), and no it's not the perfect solution (that probably doesn't exist) but at least I'm going to hell in my own hand cart...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 15-01-18 at 01:51 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Windows 10 Updates - If you like downloading what is in size terms alone (3Gb+) an entire operating system every time theres an major update, Windows 10

Windows 10, install it once from DVD (or internet download) at 3Gb, and update it by downloading 3Gb again, and again....an OS for insane people...whoever thought this was a thing should be shot, in a public square with TV cameras present, and the children's eyes should not be shielded, they should see what happens to assclowns who deliver this crap unto us

Windows 7....still supported for another 2 years and runs like a top, none of the bugs, 1/8th the telemetry of 10....

I wont even have an ISO image of 10 (or 8 for that matter) in my house....steaming pile of shite...i think i might have expressed this opinion at leats once on here...
    gtadmin, Fatman, disley and 1 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Windows 10 Updates - If you like downloading what is in size terms alone (3Gb+) an entire operating system every time theres an major update, Windows 10
    windows 10 pro let you shut off auto updates i know i did this to my laptop and not looked back
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    +1 Linux

old hardware can usually use generic drivers, like VESA for graphics cards

for a newbie to linux, on older hardware, one of the lighter distros is best

Xubuntu used to be light, utilising XFCE DE/window manager, but it has been bloated out with more unneeded programs to the point of bloating a system more than Ubuntu or mint using heavier desktop environments

Lubuntu uses LXDE, is lighter, but has maybe more learning curve

if you opt for *buntu variants, releases are every 6 months, and for lazy bastiges every 4th [so every 4 years] is a long term support release LTS

i'll stop rambling, unless you ask for more info

TLNR +1 linux
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    10 isn't that bad if you don't actually do any real work on your computer, and have the patience and adoration for Microsoft as the North Koreans do for old mate Kim.

It's nice of them to provide that search box thingy there too, especially as it's the interface has been scrambled to the point that no one knows where anything is anymore.
    DogMan and stylemessiah like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Another +1 for Linux. Mint is a great distro which windows users will find easy to get used to quicky.

Hell, I even have my Mrs using jt on her new laptop and she won't go back to MS.

AVF Regular
    Oh SW, I'll make the offer:

If you want, I'll make you a bootable USB stick with the latest LTS (long term support) which is 16.04 LTS, supported until 04 2021. There's a new LTS due out in around three months but to be honest I wouldn't wait - I much prefer the more mature release as long as it has the latest hardware support that I might need.

A bootable USB lets you boot up the operating system and get touchy feely with it, without changing anything on your hard drive. If you have UEFI bios it means to you have to turn off secure boot (unless they've changed this) and set it to boot off the USB drive, or at least know what button to press to get the boot device list up. That's it, simple.

Of course it takes longer to boot off USB 2, but you'll be surprised how well it runs once it's booted up.

Maybe let us know what your hardware actually is, because something else might be a better option (Like Mint or Lubuntu).
    CPU, Memory, Graphics card... ?

You do have to find alternative native Linux programmes to use, preferably. I just installed Libre Office for Mrs Fab on her *Windows* machine, it (Ubuntu) also comes with Firefox and Thunderbird Mail installed. Let us know what you do, and we'll suggest the best options.

You can also set it up as a dual boot machine if you want. That's where you pick which OS you want to use each time you boot.

Your alternative? Beat Windows into submission until it looks and works the way you want it to...
    DogMan and rockmoose like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    +1 for Mint, over Ubuntu - even though Mint is based on Ubuntu, it doesnt have the kludginess...in other works Ubuntu is slower/kludgier
    CMB and DogMan like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I got a good one.

If you dont reformat and reinstall win 10 at least once a year, it builds up so much residual crap it opens a memory leak.
    I kid you not as im typing this win 10 is using up 10 gig of memory, and this has happened on multiple PCs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast