Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Steeped tobacco essence

Super Moderator

Steeped tobacco essence

Has anyone tried creating an essence by steeping over-the-counter tobacco? I'm thinking along the lines of "Drum" etc, where you place a similar amount of tobacco as you would use to roll a normal rollie into 30ml of PG (or VG) and leaving it to steep for a couple of months.

I did it previously with camomile tea and that was quite successful, so was just wondering if anybody here had, and what the results were.
    pippo likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    you could try it this way

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nRH9bBU0YMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

added by stoney .. same link..
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/nRH9bBU0YMg
    Last edited by Stoney; 27-04-13 at 04:25 PM.
    gtadmin and mavinry4 like this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks for that ... wasn't really a USP process was it

What was the purpose in using the alcohol to dissolve the cigar "crumblies" in? When I did the tea I didn't use alcohol or heat ... just let it steep for 2 months, shaking it every second day or so.

I was wondering if this type of thing would be a good base for a tobacco juice.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Our blunt working theory is;
    PG/VG steeping for getting some flavour
    Alcohol for dissolving the active ingredients in the oils of the vegetable material, the boiling off the alcohol.
    If you want cigar flavour, the steeping would work(ish)
    If you want the flavour and whatever else is locked up in the crublies, such as the nic, use alcohol.

Of course, like all this stuff there'll be a forum somewhere where they are arguing about the shape of the container, the temperature etc etc
    gtadmin, MrFume, steve.c and 1 others like this.

Wouldn't dicloromethane be better than alcohol? Could simmer it a bit then..

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Our blunt working theory is;
    PG/VG steeping for getting some flavour
    Alcohol for dissolving the active ingredients in the oils of the vegetable material, the boiling off the alcohol.
    If you want cigar flavour, the steeping would work(ish)
    If you want the flavour and whatever else is locked up in the crublies, such as the nic, use alcohol.

Of course, like all this stuff there'll be a forum somewhere where they are arguing about the shape of the container, the temperature etc etc
    Not really concerned about the nicotine ... I know where I can get some But I was thinking of trying to capture some of the other "bits" that made a cigarette satisfying and adding some nice, tobacco flavour.

So I guess vodka's okay to use too
    Black Betty likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by davee View Post
    What! A chemist I am not ...

AVF Regular
    I think the heat was more just a quick way to evaporate the alcohol leaving him to get at the cigar essence asap. Im not really into tobacco flavors anymore but I wonder what Eau de white ox would vape like
    Black Betty likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by davee View Post
    Google => Wiki
    "It is widely used as a paint stripper and a degreaser"

Last edited by gtadmin; 27-04-13 at 04:32 PM.

AVF Regular
    After the biz with crumblies in alcohol;

We use Spirityus (?) from uncle Dan's, @95% alcohol I'm sure not drinking it. In the SS mug, in a pan of hotish water, it boils away at about 55-65c. We just leave it until the alcohol is all gone and we left with whatever yummies we were after from the source ingredients.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast