Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DIY Juice Mixing basics and a safety primer

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    M0n.. I think some serious editing is in order.... Some of you then wonder why we'll NEVER be able to get nicotine locally?

"Treat this stuff like battery acid!!!" "Call an ambo!!" wtf...................... battery acid?! Are you kidding yourself? I use 100mg nicotine without gloves and have had it on my hands several times. Nothing bad is going to happen. Just wash it off.
    If it was PURE nicotine then yes, use gloves and don't get any on yourself but we don't even recommend using pure nicotine.

Stop with the antics, half these statements are just utter rubbish i'm sorry to say.

It's statements like this that will ensure that it's maybe even BANNED completely if any health departments or TGA read it. It will be escalated to a federal level and they'll simply put a ban on it. You want to be the face of vaping in Australia. Then stop publishing antics like this and publish THE TRUTH.

He doesn't even list what MG he's talking about. Is 12MG going to be battery acid? ROFL.

Whats it going to be similar to next? potassium nitrate?
    While I agree that sensationalism shouldn't be practiced... but when dealing with 50mg or higher.... i'd recommend precaution. Even with 24mg use gloves. Practice common sense.

It's not a be all and end all ruling...

I have edited the content for the guide... it's updated and it's in there... am HAPPY to have any changes applied as long as it's the general consensus.

As I have stated numerous times.... I can't do the guide alone (neither can any of the mods) that's why the thread was created for the guide, to add useful info into it... I left it alone on purpose to see how many people would contribute... so far... no one really.

Neo, if you have good info to put up there... post it!

I just don't think scaremongering is the way to approach such a thing. If you want to go buy some cheap latex gloves for mixing then so be it - ansell make 100 pair boxes for about $2.50. Many people will say it's not needed when dealing with 100mg or lower though. If you're dealing with pure nicotine and have questions, you shouldn't be touching the stuff. The information is out there, if you've found where to source it then you should be able to source the relevant information about it and should know how to read the MSDS sheet attached.

Super Moderator
    Neo, i agree that we shouldn't scaremonger any one into doing anything, but at the same time we cannot give unsafe advice. People are dealing with a toxin... as such they should act appropriately. The wording is not right for this currently, and I'm currently changing it for the guide. As far as Kamakazie's guide goes, that's a completely different beast all together. It's his opinion/advice hence the disclaimer at the top

BTW KamaKazzie, keep up the good work regardless of what any one says!
    Last edited by m0n4g3; 18-06-13 at 03:24 PM.

I find sadly pathetic that you've had nothing to say until it was made a guide.
    I even called for comment and additions, with one exception, nothing.

Now you're having a cry because you don't agree, diddums... You want to keep doing things the same way you have always done it that's your call.

Yes it is some what sensational, but that is often what it takes to get some fools to pay attention...

You remind me of the type who ignores a safety briefing then has a cry when they hurt themselves doing something they were told not to.

Sent while atop the porcelain throne

Quote Originally Posted by KamaKaZzie View Post
    DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION BELOW IS INTENDED ONLY AS A GUIDE, ANY ACTIVITY INVOLVING NICOTINE IS DONE AT EACH PERSON'S OWN RISK. (ie. dont blame me if you poison yourself...)

Juice mixing...

Measurements: several methods you can use, counting the drops, using a syringe, weight (different liquids have different weights) - Wrong! using a syringe 1ml and 5ml is the only fool proof way, drops are highly inaccurate unless you own an electronic pipette. Electronic Pipettes can even be inaccurate unless calibrated. All Labs use Electronic Pipettes.
    Of these using a syringe or pipet are probably the most accurate. It doesnt make a massive difference what method you use so long as it is accurate and repeatable (same result each time)

Useful hardware: Graduated cylinders, brown bottles for storage, measuring syringes, drawing blunts (blunt syringe needles), scales for measuring dry ingredients (menthol and ethyl malto), LOTS of dropper bottles for your world shaking creations. - the only useful stuff would be the syringes, bottles and jewelry scales - Kitchen scales won't do .1 of a gram and will be inaccurate

Nicotine content: One thing I would recommend is getting a titration kit from supersports666 (member here), that will allow you to confirm the concentration of nic in your base, there HAVE been instances of people ordering once concentration and finding it's way different upon testing. Titration kit won't be needed for 99% of vapers, just buy nicotine from a reputable company such as RTS, Wizard Labs etc. many people have already done tests on lots of companies, its very accurate. If you're making your own 100mg nicotine then yes, its worth buying one

How much of what!?
    I could give you the formulas to work it out but I'd use one of the many online calculators. Drop the numbers in the right places and they'll tell you what you need to mix.
    mixing-e-liquid-a-basic-guide
    e-liquid-calculator
    ejuice-calculator also lots of recipes here

Now that stuff that will keep you safe...
    Location: very well ventilated (treat it like petrol for fumes etc), no distractions, running water to hand, good lighting. I don't see how this is useful, We aren't sniffing the shit? Good quality nicotine is almost scentless and colourless. If your nicotine smells like dirty socks then it's classified as off. Nicotine will last 2 years unopened, 1 year opened. Store your nicotine in a cool, dark, dry place far far away from any light.
    Safety gear: QUALITY gloves (one study I found stated that 3mm thick gloves had a 10min break through time with 50% nic solution in water, this is the time the solution needed to remain in contact before it started to get absorbed by the skin), face shield (DONT get on youyr face or eyes!), long sleeves. Scaremongering, just buy some 79c rubber gloves or some ansel latex gloves.

What happens if I spill nic liquid on myself?
    Try not to breathe any fumes.
    Before you start cursing, remove any clothing that got contaminated immediately, dont let others handle it, rinse the exposed area/s VERY well (treat this stuff like battery acid, get it the hell off you ASAP). It has been found that a weak vinegar solution will slow absorption through the skin, so you may wish to keep some on hand. Scaremongering again - just wash it off.

Once YOU are clean, monitor yourself for signs of poisoning (look for the biggest nic rush you're ever had). You start to feel sick get to the emergency dept, call an ambo if you have to! Scaremongering again - just wash it off.

Clean up: double glove and deal with your clothes, warm wash and watch out for your septic if you have one... Household cleaners (acidic) should be OK to deal with benches, if it's on a rug stick it outside, the nic will evaporate off in time. If it's on carpet... Carpet shampoo? [COLOR="#FF0000"]Don't mix on carpet? Mix on tiles? Kitchen might be a GOOD Idea? COLOR]

Storage:
    It is recommended that your nic base be kept in either a cobalt blue or brown (or light proof) bottle in the freezer (be aware that VG will thicken significantly).
    Your successful juices should be kept in a cool dark place for best long term results, UV light and heat can degrade e-juices over time.

Steeping:
    This aging or mellowing your fresh juices, like anything else that is aged it's character changes with time. As for methods... well everyone has their own. Everything from the microwave to a heated ultrasonic jewellery cleaner can and has been used.
    Just search the forums or Google for steeping and you'll get several options.

Document everything!
    Document everything you do! If you want results to be repeatable you need to know exactly what you've done.
    Info should include the following.
    Brand, date of manufacture and name of nic base/flavour/s used.
    Method of measurement (including the equipment)
    Ratios as a percentage of total volume (this will allow you to scale up or down a subsequent batch) Just write down your recipes and PG,VG combo. Always remember to start in small batches incase you stuff up.

On the bottle: Label with the same name as in your recipe book and DATE it! How often have you read of someone mixing something up that tasted like a sewer at mixing but was divine several weeks later? (making a note of the dates you re-test in your recipe book is also a good idea, you might be able to identify trends for the flavours, EG. The Coconut from XX XXX seems to taste good only after a 9 day steep where as the vanilla from the same supplier is good to go right away)

Related studies and research papers:
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0446.pdf (Centres For Disease Control Nicotine handeling proceedures)
    ADMET-Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion, and Toxicity Toxicity tab
    http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/con...6/405.full.pdf (glove safety)

Hope this makes sense and helps

EDIT 2: added section on documentation
    EDIT: If anyone finds anything I've missed or they think something should be added/corrected post below and I'll ad it in.

fixed.............
    Last edited by neofelis; 18-06-13 at 03:40 PM.

In your opinion, in mine your advice is more likely to get someone poisoned.

Thanks for confirming my initial opinion of you.

If anything, some poor bugger who DOES NOT take sufficient safety precaution and gets poisoned is what will see a blanket ban.

EDIT: I based my initial post on my experience mixing herbicides, pesticides and poisons in a commercial environment.

Attachment 9619
    Last edited by KamaKaZzie; 18-06-13 at 03:55 PM.

There has been people who have vaped 500mg nicotine before. others have even vaped 100mg just to see what would happen. Whilst that's not recommended, they're still alive and kicking.

I know many people who vape 36mg and 26mg ejuice all day every day.

Others have used cartomizers and were looking at the cartomizer with no drip tip attached. The cartomizer then spat hot ejuice in their eye. It became swollen and it stings like a *****. Its happend to me with an atomizer.

Are you going to say to use a face mask when using all cartomizers and atomizers? When do we say enough is enough?

Sometimes the more scaremongering you do the more mistakes will happen.

Lets take smoking for example, you can burn yourself with the tip of the cigarette, do we see warnings about that? NO. There is a point where you say common sense must prevail.

Not to mention battery explosions and other things which CAN happen. We don't need a GUIDE telling people to put their tin foil hats on. its just stupid.

You can get an Ego-T battery put it into the charger and it can explode. You don't even need to do anything for this to happen. There has to be a point where you draw the line and say thats enough.
    Last edited by neofelis; 18-06-13 at 04:06 PM.

]Others have used cartomizers and were looking at the cartomizer with no drip tip attached. The cartomizer then spat hot ejuice in their eye. It became swollen and it stings like a *****. Its happend to me with an atomizer.
    And you are the type of person who will make the headlines doing something stupid and ruin it for everyone.
    Are you going to say to use a face mask when using all cartomizers and atomizers? When do we say enough is enough?
    Maybe you SHOULD be going by the quote above?

Please dont breed (any more), the gene pool is in bad enough shape already.

I have never used anything stronger than 48mg, but I take no precautions apart from doing it next to the bathroom sink, wiping the benchspace down after done whether any spillage or not.
    I use a finger over the end of syringe, gloves are more likely to fumble it. I have had it on my skin many a time and rinse within a minute or so when I have completed what I am doing .. zero effect whatsoever.
    I know of people who have had 100mg on the hands short term .. same result, do not leave it sit there long enough, its not going to murder you.
    I even know of some crazy experiments done by someone, enough to convince me that a great deal of panic around 100mg is unwarranted, use some common sense and ensure work space is clean when you leave it.

I wear glasses but would suggest some sort of eye protection. nic juice of any strength in the eyeball is bloody uncomfortable. we have had several members mix nic juice up with eyedrops now, very sore red eys result.

be careful with syringes, particularly stab injurys .. would suggest only blunts used.
    be aware that pressure can make luer locks come undone when dealing with VG particularly, this can cause high pressure streams of juice. be careful when using any syringes with needles or blunts attached.
    Noe, Vapes of Groth and tally-ho like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Do you honestly think people mean for accidents to happen? They just happen.

Like that guy who vaped 500mg nicotine, his mother bought it for him and he thought it was a doubler! It was pure nicotine. Mistakes happen, Will continue to happen. Its something that's unavoidable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast