Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: good better best pg vg

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    97

    good better best pg vg

    Ok so I've been using pg and vg from vaping cobra and vapeking and both are good and I haven't had any problems. Vg is a little sweet which I understand is normal, from pg I'm getting a slight smell of iso propyl alcohol which I also understand is normal. I've been reading that there's different grades of both, cold pressed organic vg, certified hallal and kosher pg and vg, I've seen another post in this section which showed different colour juice after steeping with different brands of pg vg.
    I am asking the question, good better best?
    Has anyone done any work with this question?
    Even after a bit of reading, is is clear that not all pg and vg are equal and even though I am happy with what I'm using, I want to ask, can I do better?

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bribie Island
    Posts
    817
    Well, it depends on the prercieved function you are after, is it a taste requirement, health concerns, religious restrictions etc.

    Some people say that VG with animal content tastes bad, has a fatty,oily tone to the vape. Fair enough vaping KFC is not on my bucket list. Both Halal and Kosher VG could have animal product in it if the processes were followed for certification with the intent of using animal products, although it would be simpler for Halal if it wasn't, and Kosher is about method, which I call bullshit on, the VG produced would be $1000 a liter if strictly observed.

    So to other gradings if you trust the pharmaceutical industry has your health as its primary concern and not its share holders then pharamaceutical grade PG, VG would be preferable.

    Lastly taste, if you are sensitive to the taste differences between brands and it meets your personal biases above then you have the PG,VG for you. There is I am sure psychosomatic relationships in some of the outlandish opinions especially regarding the most long lasting ancient civilization which has managed to exceed 1 billion people without the massive medical, hygiene blunders (black plague anyone) of the trusted western world.

    Ironically I find a lot of people put a lot more effort in searching for the hidden evils of PG,VG than they ever did with tobacco while using it long term, all while PG especially is in nearly bloody everything we eat or put on our skin.

    So far I haven't found something that taste wise was bad, and given the huge variation possible in the devices we use, the vast majority if not all of my bad flavour incidents are device setup, or poo flavour being added to perfectly good PG,VG. I haven't got the scientific method down to point where I could pick PG,VG as the culprit.

    My last cent....


    I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabs View Post
    Ironically I find a lot of people put a lot more effort in searching for the hidden evils of PG,VG than they ever did with tobacco while using it long term, all while PG especially is in nearly bloody everything we eat or put on our skin.
    I see this written a lot, and the reason people are wanting to find out more about the product they are choosing to vaporise and inhale into their body is because they can.

    It is a fallacious argument.

    Nobody had that luxury with cigarette smoking. When I started smoking there was no internet. Nobody gave a shit about anything. Not just smoking. The only thing consumers could change with smoking tobacco was the taste, and the strength. That was it. Info was not readily available like it is now. And the ability to share info was greatly reduced. And that has changed the way consumers buy, and led to more conscious choices about what we use. Because we can.

    Different times, the argument that "nobody ever worried about tobacco" sounds eerily similar to all the lies about vaping we are fed constantly. Many of them are created on a fallacy too.

    Back to the topic. Bruce, as long as you buy BP/USP graded PG or VG, then the quality should stay the same.

    Taken from Wikipedia:
    Pharmacopoeial standards are compliance requirements; that is, they provide the means for an independent judgment as to the overall quality of an article and apply throughout the shelf-life of a product.

    There are a couple of good informative threads on here already about it, just do a search for PG or VG in the search tab up the top on the right.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bribie Island
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    I see this written a lot, and the reason people are wanting to find out more about the product they are choosing to vaporise and inhale into their body is because they can.

    It is a fallacious argument.

    There are a couple of good informative threads on here already about it, just do a search for PG or VG in the search tab up the top on the right.
    Absolutely not fallacious, and very sound people have been ingesting PG and VG for a long time and yet its not until they quit smoking and take up vaping it that they are curious as to its health effects, why now? When I started smoking yes there was no internet as well however I fully knew that Smoking most likely could result in a early death, which isn't in my opinion the worst side effect after all death is inevitable, the 30 years of stinking, lower fitness, shortness of breath feeling like crap on occasions and the gradual decline and amplification of other diseases as we dwindle towards the grave.

    Nobody gave a shit about anything prior to the internet, now truly fallacious.

    Back to your point, you suggest that not taking into account the fact we eat, drink, bath and cover our bodies in products which contain PG/VG as not a very good reason to not use the internet to research the best PG/VG and yet you point out Pharmaceutical grade PG/VG is the way to go, again for those who want to cover their ears and yell I am not listening for most of our lives we have all been consuming food grade PG/VG hand over fist. That is not a fallacy that is a fact, and something people need to take into account before going on a wild goose chase looking for something that won't make a damn difference to their overall PG/VG purity intake, if they choose to vape or not. Sure get curious, get information, but do not forget to look at all the facts when making a informed decision a narrow window of research especially on this topic adds to the fallacy's that you have already stated about the anti's

    You could pick up sticks and go live in the Wilderness somewhere and avoid it all, of course we have the Organic rubbish making a new market for itself, again its key messages, however chemical processes are chemical processes whether it be ma and pa making glycerol in a shack or Dow pumping it out by the tonne. Endstate is you end up with a purity of a compound, the .5 or 2 percent left over is if anything going to shape peoples opinion on taste etc.

    Back to my original point with the OP which started out as a question of the reasons they wanted to know, taste, purity etc. I believe using the Internet to increase ones paranoia is a bad psychosomatic side effect, just because there is an internet doesn't automatically mean people are more informed, many are those who hold a Masters in Wiki and yet don't really understand what they are reading.


    I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

  5. #5
    CMB
    CMB is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    4,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabs View Post
    Well, it depends on the prercieved function you are after, is it a taste requirement, health concerns, religious restrictions etc.

    Some people say that VG with animal content tastes bad, has a fatty,oily tone to the vape. Fair enough vaping KFC is not on my bucket list. Both Halal and Kosher VG could have animal product in it if the processes were followed for certification with the intent of using animal products, although it would be simpler for Halal if it wasn't, and Kosher is about method, which I call bullshit on, the VG produced would be $1000 a liter if strictly observed.
    The key is the V in the VG If it is just called Glycerine (like the Fauldings stuff) it is likely to be from animal fat.

  6. #6
    CMB
    CMB is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    4,336
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    Back to the topic. Bruce, as long as you buy BP/USP graded PG or VG, then the quality should stay the same.

    Taken from Wikipedia:
    Pharmacopoeial standards are compliance requirements; that is, they provide the means for an independent judgment as to the overall quality of an article and apply throughout the shelf-life of a product.

    There are a couple of good informative threads on here already about it, just do a search for PG or VG in the search tab up the top on the right.
    This got me thinking, I wonder if it is it still Pharmaceutical grade after it has been repackaged or whether the packaging and sealing process is part of the whole "pharmaceutical grade' certification thing??
    keyboardmama likes this.

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bribie Island
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    The key is the V in the VG If it is just called Glycerine (like the Fauldings stuff) it is likely to be from animal fat.
    Yes that has been said before, the resulting compound is the same, Glycerine is still Glycerine. As I said, is it taste etc etc


    I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

  8. #8
    Noe
    Noe is offline
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Posts
    13,140
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    The key is the V in the VG If it is just called Glycerine (like the Fauldings stuff) it is likely to be from animal fat.
    Glycerin or Glycerol is the same thing essentially. The source material for obtaining it is what makes the difference & the extraction process used IMO.
    USP/BP grade is what we should be using but different brands may taste different & that is because even in USP/BP grade there are impurities within the Glycerine, which are a byproduct of the extraction process & the source material.

    Glycerin derived from animal fat(such as the Fauldings brand) can still be USP/BP grade, yet has a different taste & feel to Vegetable derived Glycerin.
    I have tried VG from several different suppliers & there is a definite difference in the taste between them, some are sweeter than others. My guess is that these used different vegetables as the source material or used a different extraction process or a combination of both.
    Either way they are USP grade & fine to use.

    What it comes down to is taste, I prefer the less sweet VG, since I want a neutral tasting base material for my juice. Some people may prefer the sweeter tasting VG, because they like sweeter tasting juice, personally if I wanted a sweet juice I would use a sweeter VG base, rather than adding drops of sweetener to make the juice taste sweet, if I could.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

    Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

    The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

    Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

    I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

  9. #9
    CMB
    CMB is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    4,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabs View Post
    Yes that has been said before, the resulting compound is the same, Glycerine is still Glycerine. As I said, is it taste etc etc
    Yep I realise that, I was just referring to how you mentioned "Some people say that VG with animal content tastes bad" in that it is probably not very likely USP Grade Vegetable Glycerine would be derived from animal fat, but "Glycerine" would.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bribie Island
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Yep I realise that, I was just referring to how you mentioned "Some people say that VG with animal content tastes bad" in that it is probably not very likely USP Grade Vegetable Glycerine would be derived from animal fat, but "Glycerine" would.
    Roger that understand


    I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:17 AM.