Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Flavouring "oils" and flavours which may contain oils.

Retired Account

Flavouring "oils" and flavours which may contain oils.

I am trying to find out whether there is any scientific basis to this:

Yes oil based flavours are very very bad for you. They aren't even water soluble. There are many warnings about them on ECF
    (Neofelis)

To which, I've replied this

I can't find any evidence for that. The issue seems to be only that some of them with clog coils, or will separate in the liquid. A little bit of alcohol sorts that out, and most of the oils I've used to date are intended for flavouring, and seem to disperse very nicely in PG and VG (which isn't water as it happens). I spent an hour or so searching threads today, and apart from people saying "don't do it, it's bad", not one shred of actual reason for it being bad could I find. I know mineral oil is not good.. but we're not vaping turps I believe it could very well be the same sort of thing as the myth that PG is in asthma medications. Only place you see anything about that is on vaping related websites. I need more than "oh it's bad, m'kay!?". I use heaps of the Lorann oils and still have all my fingers and toes, my vision is as bad as it always has been, and my lungs seem to be nice and clear. I even read on a vaping forum today that someone's brother's wife's mother used to work as a nurse in a nursing home, and she had a resident in her care they thought had pnemonia who was found to have a "big glob of oil in her lungs" which got there from her putting vick's vapour rub under her nose every night. Like seriously good science right there!! LOL We need to be careful paying lipservice (or finger service in our case) to some of these myths.. because in all honesty, that's what they are.
    I've moved it out of a vendor forum into the DIY forum because I think it's a topic worth pursuing.

Oil and water don't mix, it's true, mostly. However, many oils do disperse in PG/VG, and there are plenty of oils available that are made "water dispersible". A lot of essential oils are used in vapourisers as therapeutic when inhaled with steam. Vaping is heating liquids to carry nicotine via steam.

Sooo apart from a lot of people saying "oh that's bad, don't do that.. I heard it's bad" is there good reason to avoild quality oils, such as citrus oils and peppermint oils in vaping. Gimme some evidence to prove me wrong. I think it's safe, but that there is a risk that some oils will gunk up a coil (so will sugar and certain other additives)

Exogenous: from outside the body. For example, inhaled nose drops with an oil base, or accidental inhalation of cosmetic oil.Amiodarone*is an anti-arrythmic known to cause this condition.

t's called Lipid Pneumonia.

It's also called google.

You're inhaling oil right? It's fatty and lungs don't like fatty substances
    Last edited by neofelis; 19-08-13 at 08:37 PM.

Retired Account
    Give me one example of lipid pneumonia that's been reported from vaping?
    We're not snorting the oil, we're heating it and inhaling the vapour.
    Why wouldn't people be getting this in droves when they inhale eucalyptus oil in hot water or when it's put in a child's bedroom in a vapouriser?
    margyb and keyboardmama like this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    WARNING: For newer DIYers, avoid buying those that are insoluble in water at first - they are very strong and more difficult to work with. While I have not included ratings for insoluble LorAnn's, many are good. Some people use the oils, but they usually mix them with alcohol first so they mix better with the final solution.

Use food coloring and additives at your discretion - they haven't been fully tested.

The above was stolen from here. Guide To Flavouring - Planet of the Vapes Wiki

Not of interest to me as I don't use fancy flavours, but what did take my interest was the number of flavours that are not suitable for shipment by air. Interesting.
    fifthflo likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Retired Account
    Exogenous lipoid pneumonia (ELP) is a rare form of pneumonia caused by inhalation or aspiration of a fatty substance. ELP has been reported with inhalation or ingestion of petroleum jelly, mineral oils, “nasal drops,” and even intravenous injection of olive oil.

This is quite a bit different from a few drops of essential oil (good quality, not $2 shop crap) in a solution of PG and VG, right?

Retired Account
    Robray, I had that issue ordering directly from Capella. There were many which she couldn't send me because it wasn't permitted to fly them. Makes me wonder how vendors are able to get them?

Well rationalising facts isn't very smart. I'm sure back in 2011 no one had heard of an exploding battery. You fell victim to that though. I'm sure that wiki guide is very old. Vaping oils = Lipid Pneumonia.

This is why hardly anyone uses Lorann anymore it's the fact the chance is there and it doesn't become a few drops. A recipe might contain 15% concentrate that's a lot more than a couple of drops.

With 6 other better flavour companies out there is it worth it when you can now get organic flavours?
    Not to mention several other companies are dedicating them self to vaping Lorann are still candy oils.
    Last edited by neofelis; 19-08-13 at 09:00 PM.
    Noe likes this.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    People smoke resin and don't seem to die.
    fifthflo likes this.
    Do you know de way 👺

Not all of Lorann is bad though, they do make a natural section But it's very limited it comes in 8oz bottles

Retired Account
    nicotine is organic lol
    Neo, you have no clue.

Hopefully someone who has a health or science background who isn't just wanting to create drama will step in and explain things to you in words you can understand.

Edit: I'm just looking for some scientific evidence that supports that putting essential oils, such as citrus oils into a flavour which is then vaped could be risky (to the same extent as say 'diacetyl' is dangerous - unless you live in Europe.. they haven't found enough evidence to ban it as a flavouring yet)
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 19-08-13 at 09:11 PM.
    keyboardmama likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast