Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Re use of tinctures in DIY juice

Re use of tinctures in DIY juice

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before...I am a professional distiller who makes tictures for flavoured vodka's, liqueurs etc. I have made tinctures of David Austin rose petals, cloves, cardamon,bitters etc ...they have steeped in 95.6% azeotrope alcohol...I was wondering if I need to boil off the alcohol from the oils before using these as flavourings...they are very concentrated, so I should not need much. OR if I could just use VG and let the alcohol break down the viscosity...This is my first try at this ...so any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Doc

AVF Regular
    I would boil off .. but other hand wouldn't hurt have alcohol in it still give extra bite I used to add 1ml vodka to VG 100% to water it down little ...
    http://forums.aussievapers.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2478&dateline=1380789817

AVF Regular
    If they are oils I'd be wary. Not sure if they're the same but essential oils in juices have been known to react with polycarbonate and crack it (I.e. clearos and cartomizer tracks)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by X-BoNeS-X View Post
    I would boil off .. but other hand wouldn't hurt have alcohol in it still give extra bite I used to add 1ml vodka to VG 100% to water it down little ...
    Alcohol in very small amounts is OK, two or three drops per 5/10ml is sometimes used to thin a thick VG e-liquid. In large amounts it can be a short term intoxicant. I don't believe the long term affects of using alcohol this way has really been studied (but you might have more information on this subject) and the use of personal vaporisers for inhaling anything other than PG, VG, Nicotine and flavourings is not encouraged or supported here. ;- )

If your tinctures are highly concentrated and you are only using a few drops anyway, the alcohol content is not going to be a problem at all. Just as a rule of thumb, you would want to keep the alcohol content under 2% if possible.

The other thing is that whatever flavourings you use need to be water soluble to work correctly in the atomiser, the main problem being wicking and separation of flavouring oils etc, so while most of what we use is food grade flavourants, there are some special requirements.

The use of PG can make things a lot easier, since some substances that are not water soluble can be dissolved in PG (the reason it's used in a lot of pharmaceuticals including injectable medicines) and the PG is then blended with the other ingredients.

I do some extractions myself using PG, mainly coffee and teas for my own DIY stuff. The main problem being that most of the flavour comes from the nose and not everything translates to a good flavour when it is vaped. You might be surprised at just how different some of your products are when put in a vaporiser, but I'm sure you're going to have a good time trying things out. Apart from the extractions, I am mostly using FlavourArt (FA) and The Flavour Apprentice (TFA, PA) flavourings from Vaping Cobra.
    GirlyPantz and Old Dog like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

I'm with Bones- too much alcohol will give you a huge throat hit.

*rolli waits for the "oil causes popcorn lung" crew to come in and tell why oil is bad.

(Ps - I don't believe that to be true)
    Combined Vape tally - $1,202.36 since 18JUL13
    His and hers provaris just destroyed my break even timeframe!!

AVF Regular
    Oils aint oils.
    eg, there are mineral oils and there are essential/volatile/aromatic oils/organic oils etc. Having the word 'oil' in it means nothing, (unless it's a mineral oil which would be bad to vape almost by default), you have to take each chemical on its own merit.
    I didn't word that well but ya know what I mean.
    Noe, GirlyPantz, margyb and 2 others like this.
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

Thank you very much for the prompt replies... I might boil off some and do a comparison with the full strength tinctures. The concentration levels are very high. So do not anticipate using large volumes as a percentage of the total juice. Some of the tinctures will definately have significant oil content such as rose petal. But if I can nail it, I think it would be a really unique vape. If necessary I can put the tinctures through a detuned glass laboratory still to get rid of most of the alcohol. I am very interested in making a clove tincture to replicate the Kretek cigarettes of Indonesia. If anyone has made a Kretek clove vape I would appreciate any guidance...Thanks again for the assistance.
    Doc

AVF Regular
    Clove oils and extracts are one of the things that can react with polycarbonates. It would be better to put that one into a glass device or a dripper. Clove can be rather overpowering so I advise you to be very cautious with concentrations. If you make it strong it could have some adverse affects if you vape it for any length of time.

It's often best to use a basic tobacco flavour like RY4 and add flavourings to it slowly until you get the right effect.

It sounds like you will need to get a few dripping attys for testing purposes: eg 306/510 Single Coil Bridgeless Atomiser

Thank you Fabricator I will chase down an atomiser. Cheers.
    Doc

AVF Regular
    No worries, I'm sure we are all looking forward to hearing how you go with your experiments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast