Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Di propylene glycol

Di propylene glycol

Hi all I bought a bunch of bottles a few days ago and saw they had pg at a good price so I bundled in with the postage. Didn't realise till it arrived that it is DIpropylene glycol.

Does the DI at the start affect anything? From what I've found it is non toxic so I think it will be fine to use

From another thread
    "General Toxicity Observations
    Upon reviewing the available toxicity information, the Agency has concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure to propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol.

Good ol' wiki
    Dipropylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the stuff I bought
    500 g Di Propylene Glycol - New Directions

just thought I'd ask just in case anyone knows a vaper specific issue with this liquid

AVF Regular
    Im pretty sure its no good. I wouldnt use it. The Di at the start is short for Die, that will happen if you keep vaping it.
    Noe, CCC, steve.c and 2 others like this.

Chemical makeup
    DIPropylene: C6 H14 O3
    Propylene: C3 H8 O2

Both are used in skin/hair products etc

AVF Regular
    Di propylene glycol on that site is listed under solvents whereas propylene glycol is listed under humectants. Don't think I'd be vaping something listed as a solvent. I may be wrong but that's my opinion.

CCC
    Chuck it, move on

Super Moderator
    Dipropylene Glycol has a higher boiling point than normal PG , it is also chemically different ... propylene glycol is a GRAS ( generally recognised as safe ) in regard to food , I cant see any reference to DiPropylene being lauded as the same .

Dipropylene is more commonly used in theatrical fog machines , so it "might "be ok for inhalation , but I personally wouldnt ?

Have a read thru this from Dow Chemical
    About Propylene Glycols | Dow Propylene Glycols

Diprop is manufactured to a cosmetic std rather than a pharma std .... the two are related chemical , but different enough to make me convinced of not using it .... given that PG is readily available and has a track record in inhalation research I would opt for it rather than save the bucks vaping a probably safe , but unknown alternative

Another related quote

Literature Review for Glycerol and Glycols for Entertainment Services & Technology Association

HSE Consulting and Sampling, Inc.

“Overall, the toxicity data for glycerol and the glycols of concern examined in this report are fairly low. When comparing the order of toxicity for each compound based on the LD50 in rats, the least toxic material is propylene glycol (PG), followed by glycerol (G), triethylene glycol (TEG), diethylene glycol (DEG), dipropylene glycol (DPG), and the most toxic being 1,4-butylene glycol (BG). This information is consistent with the acute and chronic toxicities for PG, G, and TEG. PG, G, and TEG’s toxicity data appears to be well studied and demonstrates low occupational hazards.”

So in the Glycol family it is 2nd to worst in terms of toxic outcome of a generally non toxic bunch

Or as ccc said
    Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Chuck it, move on
    Last edited by Fatman; 09-01-14 at 09:30 PM.
    margyb, CCC, kritikal and 1 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Had a look at the msds for pg and dpg. Both are listed as a solvent.

Cheers for that one fatman I think I'll just whack it in the fog machine for the next mosh pit in my lounge room. Shame about that cos now I'll have to wait to start on my 9 concentrates
    Fatman, DanGibson and avtek like this.

Super Moderator
    Grab some PG of peter at E-cigs SA ... I am using that now , its quite good
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

I have about 40ml left from last time I saw him but he's closed till the 20th I will try a chemist tomorrow (or can I only get vg there?)

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Grab some PG of peter at E-cigs SA ... I am using that in my bath tub now , its quite good
    *Fixeded for ya FM

* This is in no way a slur on e-cigs SA, who I believe are a very reputable vendor.
    Last edited by Noe; 09-01-14 at 10:03 PM.
    steve.c likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast