Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: DIY Tips For Noobs.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    I think some Mixing Commandments are in order for newbs.

1. Thou shall not use nicotine to test flavours. Nicotine is precious.
    Do not waste too much nicotine on trial and error arse ejuices.

2. Thou shall not use expensive cartridges like cartomizers to test mixed flavours.
    Get thou self an hh.357 atty or IGO-L RDA and Learn to make a microcoil+cotton wick to test your ejuices.

3. Thou shall not test more than one flavour mix at a time
    Put effort into every ejuice mix you make. Splitting your attention on more than one at a time reduces the quality. This is a hobby, get good at making ejuices.

I like these mixing commandments! Just my 2c:

1. Nic will change the taste of your juice, keep this in mind.
    3. Agreed for the first time mixing a new flavour but definitely get creative mixing it in with others once you have it nailed down as an individual flavour.
    mavinry4, spud, Rossco and 1 others like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom@JuiceFactory View Post
    Great advice here, CMB. As with coopz, I do exactly the same (for my own personal juice) only with different PG:VG. The nic content will vary a little depending on how much concentrate goes into the particular juice but that doesn't bother me.

I operate only with percentages, drops just don't cut it for me and I'd highly recommend everyone do the same.

Spud is on the money with the RDA and taking notes. Use the RDA for testing and your costs will be minimal and believe me when I say that every DIYer has made at least one amazing juice and broken the cardinal rule of note taking - Don't let yourself be next!

Great posts here guys. When I get some down time I'll put more time into writing up guides and hints / tips. It's really not as daunting as it's made out to be.
    LOL I do that all the time but I know which flavors I have used & which I used more than others, if the flavor seems to be working, I go back to it & start taking notes, if not notes are wasting my time
    Tom@JuiceFactory, spud and Rossco like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    I think some Mixing Commandments are in order for newbs.

1. Thou shall not use nicotine to test flavours. Nicotine is precious.
    If you don't use nic in your juice, the flavor will not be the same when you do add nic.
    Even a small amount of nic will be enough to use in testing & give you the same flavor as a stronger nic juice would, you just have to let it steep a little longer when it is lower strength.

So I think that should read:

1. Thou shall not overuse nicotine to test flavours. Nicotine is precious, test at low strength.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@JuiceFactory View Post

I operate only with percentages, drops just don't cut it for me and I'd highly recommend everyone do the same.

Fine........

I'll go get myself a 1mL syringe. But I'm ordering online. Sick of the Pharmacy lady giving me weird looks whenever I buy gloves, glycerin, and alcohol wipes. Syringes will just make it worse. :-)

So some more commandments;

Thou shall document everything thou puts into ejuice.

Thou shall label all ejuice bottles properly and in detail
    Last edited by mavinry4; 13-01-14 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    Can you test different juices in the same dripping atomizer? or is there flavour contamination. I'm sick of filling cartos, only to find that I don't like the flavour.

Would this one do the trick: 510 VKS Atomizer It's a bit pricey, so I'm a bit worried of how many I would need.
    I use a rebuildable dripping atty, and change the cotton ball wick after each flavour test. Its just a matter of rolling up a bit of cotton ball, and threading it through the coil, so not a huge effort. I use a trident clone, or the Igo-L for juice testing. This is the easiest, quickest, and least messy way I know of to test flavour mixes. You can get cheap rebuildable drippers from a lot of vendors, both here and OS, and if you're careful when changing your wicks, the same coil will last you months.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    This is basically re-post from when I gave a guide to a newb a few months ago.

My suggestion is to keep your first attempt at DIY mixing really simple.

Follow this example. The principles you learn in this example can be applied to all ejuice mixing, where you can adjust the volume of each of the ingredients.

1. Purchase a 10mL plastic measuring cylinder with engraved measurement markings. (Don't purchase glass ones, they will break, trust me. Don't purchase the ones with the printed blue measurements, the print will rub off over time.) Click here to buy one from ebay. ($4.08)

2. Purchase 24mg/mL nicotine 100% PG flavourless nicotine. (I am assuming that you don't vape more than 50% VG). Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($3.91)

3. Purchase a bottle of 0mg nicotine VG. Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($3.91)

4. Purchase a bottle of 0mg nicotine PG. Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($3.91)

5. Purchase a 10mL flavour concentrate. If you like Tobacco flavours click here to add one to your Healthcabin cart ($3.90). If you like fruits click here to add one to your HealthCabin cart ($1.68).

6. Purchase an empty 10mL plastic bottle. Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($0.78)

When you have all the 6 components shown in the picture above:

Add 5mL of your 24mg/mL Nicotine 100% PG to the measuring cylinder.
    Add 2mL of your 0mg/mL Nicotine 100% VG to the measuring cylinder.
    Add 2mL of your 0mg/mL Nicotine 100% PG to the measuring cylinder.
    Add 1mL of your flavouring concentrate to the measuring cylinder.

Pour the mixture into the empty 10mL bottle. Make sure you get every drop - it may take a little while for last 20 or so drops to finally drip out, so improvise and place the cylinder on an angle and let it drip into the empty bottle over a few minutes. Close the lid tight, Give it a shake. Let it sit there in a dark place (steep) for a couple of days.

The result is a [12mg/mL nicotine | 20%VG | 10%Flavour ] ejuice.

The example allows you to purchase most of the items from a single online store to save on shipping costs for your first go at DIY ejuice mixing. When you've got a hang of what is involved in DIY mxing, you can begin purchasing your individual ingredients in larger volumes (saving you money), from Healthcabin as well as different online stores, and especially from aussie vendors to save on shipping costs. You can also begin adding more than one flavours if you want to be creative.

However, the nicotine will only be able to be purchased from overseas.
    Not bad but if buying from HC, I'd grab the 36mg/ml, it costs the same price as the 24mg/ml but lasts longer, because there is an extra 1/3 of nic in the bottle.
    So rather than your calcs, you'd use:
    3.3ml nic
    3ml VG (I like a 70/30 ratio)
    1ml concentrate(assuming it is needed at 10%)
    2.7ml PG, or just top up to 10ml = same result. I usually do not measure my PG, I find it easier just to pour it in to the (in this case) 10ml mark, it saves time & messing around IME.

Pour the mixture into the empty 10mL bottle. Make sure you get every drop - it may take a little while for last 20 or so drops to finally drip out, so improvise and place the cylinder on an angle and let it drip into the empty bottle over a few minutes. Close the lid tight, Give it a shake. Let it sit there in a dark place (steep) for a couple of days.

A tip here,
    pour slowly. If you pour fast, drops of juice get left behind to "cling" to the cylinder's walls, if you pour at a slow steady pace, the drops don't get left behind as much & the pouring process takes less time than if you rush to pour it into the bottle fast. Also by pouring slowly, you have less chance of spills.

The result is a [12mg/mL nicotine |70/30 PG/VG | 10%Flavour ] ejuice.
    marty, Tom@JuiceFactory and Rossco like this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post

A tip here,[/B] pour slowly. If you pour fast, drops of juice get left behind to "cling" to the cylinder's walls, if you pour at a slow steady pace, the drops don't get left behind as much & the pouring process takes less time than if you rush to pour it into the bottle fast. Also by pouring slowly, you have less chance of spills.

I usually pour most of it into the bottle slowly, then find a support for the cylinder and leave it to drip out by itself for 10 to 20 minutes.

It's usually the residue slow running VG that takes forever to pour out. It forms a long slow flowing string along the length of the cylinder as it pours out, which thins out. Eventually the long string of flowing VG breaks into tiny droplets. There are still a few tiniest tiniest drops of VG droplets left over clinging to the wall of the cylinder, but I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the mixture makes it into the bottle.

spud likes this.

Guys when buying doublers to mix, do you buy the 100% PG or do you buy ones that are already mixed PG/VG

AVF Regular
    anfbogan - either way is fine when yer starting out -

if yer going to store a doubler for ages then pg is better cos it stores better

for this reason most people buy their nic with pg - not nic with vg - so they can store it for longer

considering this - if you are going to use up a doubler soon rather than store it its probably best to get yer doubler with both pg and vg in it

it depends on what stage you are at and how strong your nic is

short answer is - get yer nic pg only and your doubler pg/vg mix

This is all great information, I've mainly been buying pre mixed/flavoured 70/30 PG/VG and then adding from %100 pg 100mg/ml to get roughly around 20mg nic. I've tried a few homebrew flavours with varied results, the most recent being strawberry that I'd rather label Strawberry Arse Sweat Deluxe. Forget my messing around. Great thread, gives me Ideas in making a few new batches without wasting nic.

I have 1 question, How should %100 PG Nic be stored? mines just on a bookshelf.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast