Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: DIY Tips For Noobs.

DIY Tips For Noobs.

Hey people just thought I'd put this thread here for newbies like myself just starting out in the diy arena. Please feel free to add useful tips that you think that a newbie would find essential starting to learn how to mix.

My first tip is and probably will be one of the best I have learnt from this forum and I think it was from one of the ladies on here (sorry but I have forgotten who). KEEP A DIARY OF YOUR CHANGES

( edit by FM ... Hi Guys .. made this a sticky , please keep the OT stuff to a minimum to keep it concise for newbies to navigate! )
    Last edited by Fatman; 13-01-14 at 08:52 AM. Reason: sticky... and comment

Another useful tip is to remove each part of the process as you are mixing. For example if you start with your nic, after you've added it to your bottle remove it from the area that you are using to make the mix. This stops from accidentally doubling up.

Start simple. 1,2, or 3 flavour concentrate recipes are a good way to get an idea of what DIY is all about. Have all the ingredients ready before you start mixing, as well as bowls of water, syringes, pipettes, paper towels, and bottles, this way you don't have to go looking for anything when you are half way through a mix.

Label all you juice mixes, with the name of the recipe, the pg/vg ratio, the nic level, and the date.

I keep notes on every mix, so that if I come up with something great, I can mix it again

Most of all, don't get too hung up about being ultra exact in your measurements, except for your nic level. Treat it like you would a cooking recipe, and make your mix to suit your own tastes.

BTW excellent thread Rossco Might be one to sticky later
    lozza 82, maggie, Altered1 and 7 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Get some empty bottles with the needle tips when you order your flavours. get 10ml and 30ml

lozza 82, spud, Rossco and 1 others like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Use a baby dropper to draw up your VG.

lozza 82, spud, maggie and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Do your mixing in a flat bottomed glass. Easy to put ingredients into and very easy to give it all a good blend with a battery powered milk frother. When mixing, you can have the glass in another container of hot tap water which helps with the blending. Don't microwave or have the water too hot as excessive heat kills the VG (makes it go all watery). The juice is then easily transferred into your bottle with a syringe with no dripping or spillage.
    Cheers
    Sodd
    lozza 82, spud, maggie and 5 others like this.

If you keep your vg in the fridge, take it out before you start mixing, because it is way too thick if cold. Room temperature is better to work with.
    lozza 82, marty, maggie and 2 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

Not essential for mixing, but useful for trying out juice mixes, and testing flavour strength, is a dripper atty. You only need a couple of drops to test your mix, and drippers are perfect for this. Its also good to test your mix after 1, 2 and 3 weeks of steeping. A juice can change a lot after being steeped, and you may need to tweek it a little. Keep notes of any tweeks or changes you make, and its also useful to note any colour or flavour changes. A mixing diary is perfect for this, and you'll find yourself referring to it quite a bit

Addition: I keep a paper copy of all my recipes, even though I can store them on the computer, I like to have the recipe in front of me when mixing, and don't like having my laptop around liquids, it also makes it easier for making changes on the fly, I keep all the recipes in a binder with plastic sleeves, that way they don't get ruined if you have any spills Good recipes are like gold, you need to keep them safe.
    Last edited by spud; 13-01-14 at 12:04 AM.

This is basically re-post from when I gave a guide to a newb a few months ago.

My suggestion is to keep your first attempt at DIY mixing really simple.

Follow this example. The principles you learn in this example can be applied to all ejuice mixing, where you can adjust the volume of each of the ingredients.

1. Purchase a 10mL plastic measuring cylinder with engraved measurement markings. (Don't purchase glass ones, they will break, trust me. Don't purchase the ones with the printed blue measurements, the print will rub off over time.) Click here to buy one from ebay. ($4.08)

2. Purchase 24mg/mL nicotine 100% PG flavourless nicotine. (I am assuming that you don't vape more than 50% VG). Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($3.91)

3. Purchase a bottle of 0mg nicotine VG. Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($3.91)

4. Purchase a bottle of 0mg nicotine PG. Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($3.91)

5. Purchase a 10mL flavour concentrate. If you like Tobacco flavours click here to add one to your Healthcabin cart ($3.90). If you like fruits click here to add one to your HealthCabin cart ($1.68).

6. Purchase an empty 10mL plastic bottle. Click here to add it to your HealthCabin cart. ($0.78)

When you have all the 6 components shown in the picture above:

Add 5mL of your 24mg/mL Nicotine 100% PG to the measuring cylinder.
    Add 2mL of your 0mg/mL Nicotine 100% VG to the measuring cylinder.
    Add 2mL of your 0mg/mL Nicotine 100% PG to the measuring cylinder.
    Add 1mL of your flavouring concentrate to the measuring cylinder.

Pour the mixture into the empty 10mL bottle. Make sure you get every drop - it may take a little while for last 20 or so drops to finally drip out, so improvise and place the cylinder on an angle and let it drip into the empty bottle over a few minutes. Close the lid tight, Give it a shake. Let it sit there in a dark place (steep) for a couple of days.

The result is a [12mg/mL nicotine | 20%VG | 10%Flavour ] ejuice.

The example allows you to purchase most of the items from a single online store to save on shipping costs for your first go at DIY ejuice mixing. When you've got a hang of what is involved in DIY mxing, you can begin purchasing your individual ingredients in larger volumes (saving you money), from Healthcabin as well as different online stores, and especially from aussie vendors to save on shipping costs. You can also begin adding more than one flavours if you want to be creative.

However, the nicotine will only be able to be purchased from overseas.
    Noe, margyb, lozza 82 and 19 others like this.

Please sticky this thread, simple but invaluable tips for noobs like me , thanks for starting this Rossco, and to the more experienced members for contributing to it
    spud and chaotic thoughts like this.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast