Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Flavour Mixing Mistakes

Flavour Mixing Mistakes

Woke up to try yet another choc chip flavoured ejuice. I'm not going mention the vendor because all vendors who sell choc chip cookie flavour have the same problem. And I think this is a common problem with mixing that I think DIY newbs should be aware of.

The thing about flavours like choc chip cookie is that actual choc chip cookies are not a single blended flavour. Choc chip cookies crumble as you chew them, and so your nostrils recieve a repeating series of flavours. You taste a bit of cookie, then a bit of chocolate chip, then cookie again, then choc chip and so on, really quickly, giving choc chip cookies their unique overall flavour.

When people mix things like chocolate and cookie flavours, they think they will get something that tastes like this:

but because the liquids blend, unlike a real choc chip cookie, what they end up is an ejuice that tastes more like this:

The same is for other mixes.

You mix to try to get something like choc chip mint iceream. But instead you end up with something that tastes more like choc mint milk.

Or, You might do as I did and try to mix cookie with rasin, but instead you end up with something that tastes more like this.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 15-02-14 at 07:07 AM.

I keep waiting to see some brilliant person bring the idea of timed delivery to the manufacture of juice. A molecule that sits on your tongue and delivers the goods at random moments. Or something. My palate is crap compared to some of the reviewers I read. I hear talk of subtle flavours and I guess I can detect a hint of peach or a hint of melon in a mix but that is about it.
    spud, maggie and Pipesub like this.
    "And you are very kindness, thank you very much for your help too." - Thanks, Overseas supplier of shiny things.

Good point Mav - would you say the same holds true for blended tobacco? For example how about a virginia latakia blend?
    I suppose that if cut and blended in equal/uniform amounts the burning of the material would create smoke that would in turn mix and blend as it reached your taste buds. It may be that the CC cookie is a unique example being heterogeneous all the way into the mouth.
    mavinry4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    My french vanilla has gone off or something, not sure if im sick of the taste/vaper tongue or mixed too strong or maybe it just steeps poorly. Trying some doublers just for variety and to take my measurements (mostly) out of the equasion. Even my backup, normally reserved for rare occasions musk candy is tasting like shit on a stick today.

AVF Regular
    Ctclone - you may be experiencing vapers tongue.... an awful occurence where your tastebuds are not working properly.

generally this will pass over a couple of days. suggestions to fix the situation are varied - drink lots of water, vape unflavored juice, right through to a tbs of vinegar to 'reset' the tastebuds. I'm sure some of the guys who have experienced this will chime in.

sorry for OT Mav

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Quote Originally Posted by kaktus1970 View Post
    My palate is crap compared to some of the reviewers I read. I hear talk of subtle flavours and I guess I can detect a hint of peach or a hint of melon in a mix but that is about it.
    Some food/wine reviewers make me laugh out loud, they seem so pretentious ... and some eliquid reviews have me pmsl ... for goodness sake, it's just a liquid concoction of flavours that various folk either like or dislike .. what I call delicious ... someone else may say is arse -juice ... one of those things people mostly have to try for themselves imo ... if it's popular and sells well ,then lots of people must like it. I hate when something new comes out and it's slammed on the opinion of so called experts ... many of whom have vested interests in the outcome of their 'opinions'
    Toddosh and spud like this.

Good point mav. Because you can only replicate the flavours, and eating is a far more tactile experience than just the flavours.

I think there will only ever be so far they can go with flavoured juices. But who knows? Better minds than me might be working on super creations that more properly replicate the eating process as we speak.

The bigger the market gets, the more science types will get working on it.
    mavinry4, spud and Altered1 like this.

Very interesting Mav, I have found a few exceptions though, I make a hazelnut bicky recipe, where you can tell where the biscuit begins and the hazelnut ends, but this effect is made without using a "biscuit" flavour Some flavours will hold their own, where others will be melded and lost. Flavour enhancing and masking is a whole other area of interest, in itself. Its a fascinating area of research, and I would love to study it further.
    maggie likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Very interesting Mav, I have found a few exceptions though, I make a hazelnut bicky recipe, where you can tell where the biscuit begins and the hazelnut ends, but this effect is made without using a "biscuit" flavour
    Burn him, they are a Witch/Warlock! (They turned me into a Newt...)
    spud likes this.
    "And you are very kindness, thank you very much for your help too." - Thanks, Overseas supplier of shiny things.

Quote Originally Posted by kaktus1970 View Post
    Burn him, they are a Witch/Warlock! (They turned me into a Newt...)
    lol, newts are cute I've just finished making a weird juice that you can taste cheesecake on the inhale, but only taste mandarin on the exhale, it freaks everyone out when they try it I thought it was pretty cool
    maggie likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast