Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mailer
  • 1 Post By CMB
  • 2 Post By Mailer

Thread: Additives

AVF Regular

Additives

I origanly posted in the E-juice forum but realised Id have better luck here,

So I'm about to mix some simple fruit flovour juices and a Ry4 double, Im seeing alot of talk about DW, Vinegar and Lemon juice concentrate.
    My questionquestions are

1) Are they essential?
    2) What additives are used and for what apllications/flavour types
    3)If I do use them what percentages should I use?

Using Inawera fruit flavours if this makes a difference and tfa ry4 double in 75/25 vg/pg or is 50/50 better for flavour in your opinions

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hah, you already posted here. Cool. To recap from the other thread:

1) Sometimes, but rarely. It depends on what you're going for. None of the ones you listed are common, though I don't know what DW is.
    3) This is entirely up to you.

As for additives that are normally used...

Sweeteners:
    Sucralose - Artificial sugary taste. Just generally sweetens things.
    Ethyl Maltol - like cotton candy
    Stevia - (no idea if anyone really uses this)

Sour:
    Citric Acid - A little bit makes fruit tastes pop out more
    Malic Acid - Make things sour

Other:
    Acetyl Pyrazine - Gives things a nutty/grainy taste, though too much just turns everything to corn chips
    TFA Smooth - Dampens strong flavors to even out a mix. Kind of murders peaks in flavor.
    FA Magic Mask - Same effect as TFA Smooth. I've heard it's not as harsh on muting flavors.
    FA MTS Vape Wizard - Similar to the two above. I have no idea why you'd use this specifically, though I've heard it's better for tobaccos.

INW fruits, and INW in general, tend to be very concentrated. I haven't tried TFA ry4 double, but I wouldn't have thought fruit+ry4 would be a good thing. Happy to be proven wrong. VG will mute flavor, so higher PG is better for that.
    shaneo and Tyzer like this.

AVF Regular
    Cheers, DW is distilled water or DI de-ionised, the fruits and ry4 are not going to be mixed lol, got the ry4 for a non fruity vape.
    Last edited by Tyzer; 10-12-15 at 12:53 PM.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Apple Cider Vinegar is used a lot in tobacco flavours, it is meant to stop them from fading and make them pop a bit. 1 drop per 5ml is the recommended ratio. I haven't tried it for a while but don't think I really noticed it much when I did.

Lemon Juice works on fruit flavours, it kind of makes them seem like a more realistic fruit rather than a fake fruit. Again 1 drop per 5ml is the common amount.
    Tyzer likes this.

AVF Regular
    Also when using droppers are the kind that come with some juices OK to use and will they give the correct dose per drop?

Adelaide

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
    Also when using droppers are the kind that come with some juices OK to use and will they give the correct dose per drop?
    A lot of additives measure by drops because it's such a tiny amount that a little over/under doesn't matter. With anything 0.5% or higher in the mix you'll want to measure it. You can mix by volume, which is probably the most common and cheap setup. If you really want to dig deep into DIY you'll want to drop the cash on a scale to mix by weight to make things faster, more consistent and easier to clean up.
    Tyzer and ermoon2 like this.