Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: DIY mix bitter after taste.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

DIY mix bitter after taste.

Hi guys,

I tried dabbling with my own ejuice mix.

Added some fruit flavours together from TFA with 50/50 mix and added to 6mg Nic from Wizard labs.

Did a taste test and it had a chemical and bitter after taste. Is that normal?

Do I need to steep it for a longer period of time?

Do I need to add some flavour enhancers like ethyl maltol or sweetener? Is that normal? Does ejuice manufacturers add these enhancers anyway?

Cheers,

AVF Regular
    Let it sit for a couple of days with the cap off first. then have another test

What were the flavours ? what % did you mix them at ?

Have you tried the flavours on their own to see if you get the same bitter taste ?

EM is added to increase sweetness, yes, its sometimes used to make the flavour to start with, but all things are not equal in this case. eg: flavour like green apple - you don't want it super sweet.

really need to understand how much concentrate you used.

for my fruit type juices, I use @ 10% - VK iMix flavours

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Whenever I dabble with a new recipe I tweak it without nicotine. Once I have that tasting good I add Nic. Nic has its own peppery (to me) flavour and does alter the final mix but it has to taste good first.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

The flavours I used were

TFA
    Pineapple - 10%
    Mango - 10%
    Peach - 10%

I tried the individual flavours by itself. They are strong and taste terrible.. chemical

How did the manufacturers get their juice to taste so good?? is it the way they process it like in a lab?

I will try steeping it longer and test it again.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    I dont use TFA flavours, but here are my thoughts.

Thats 30% flavour concentrate. I reckon it's too much. it would be over powering in my opinion - not surprised it tastes weird.

you've got nothing to lose - I'd take 10ml of your mix, put it in a 30ml bottle, add 50:50 PG and VG (ignore nic for now) shake well, then see how that tastes after 24-48 hours, then worry about the nic content.
    Crisscross, disley, sams and 2 others like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermuffin View Post
    The flavours I used were

TFA
    Pineapple - 10%
    Mango - 10%
    Peach - 10%

I tried the individual flavours by itself. They are strong and taste terrible.. chemical

How did the manufacturers get their juice to taste so good?? is it the way they process it like in a lab?

I will try steeping it longer and test it again.
    That's a lot of flavour. I mix mine very strrong and Max flavour would be 16% total. I also found TFA quite string as a brand and never used as much.

Split into a few different batches and dilute each one to a different percentage. You can do it with the mix you have. Dilute some by half, some by 1/3 and more by 2/3. A lot of the times less is more when you are mixing eliquids.

Is this a developed/downloaded recipe or are you just tinkering with flavours. If it is a developed recipe what are the comments like.
    Also take a look at the DIY recipe link here and you can get a feel for how much flavour people are using in their recipes

Altered beat me to the punch
    Altered1, shaneo and trumpy955 like this.

ahh ic. I made a mistake of adding too high of a percentage. I thought the more the merrier
    I am just tinkering with the flavours.

Any other brands that you can recommend besides TFA?

I will try again with lower % What do you guys recommend? 5 - 8%?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermuffin View Post
    ahh ic. I made a mistake of adding too high of a percentage. I thought the more the merrier
    I am just tinkering with the flavours.

Any other brands that you can recommend besides TFA?

I will try again with lower % What do you guys recommend? 5 - 8%?
    Have a look at thejuicefactory.com.au they have a lot of different brands and the recommended percentage for each of the brands. Not all flavours are created equal. Super concentrates only need a few drops

That's very strong mate far too much, what base did you use? If your putting PG in that your going to end up with a predominately PG juice and that can taste bitter itself. Good news is you have the ingredients for a common recipe try this

Peach 6%
    Mango 4%
    Pineapple 3%

These flavours taste fine straight up and require very little steeping. What nicotine level are you using? Is it a PG or VG base?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I use VapeKing Imix concentrates mixed on their own at 10% less for multiple flavours
    Crisscross and disley like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast