Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A Little Help From the DIY'ers Here Please!

AVF Regular

A Little Help From the DIY'ers Here Please!

So I'm finally pulling the trigger on the DIY side of things. I've got a few recipes that I'm going to be trying and to get me going then I'm going down the rabbit hole with my own mixes.

A few things I wanted to ask the experienced folk here.

So at the moment I've decided to get my flavours from here https://www.nicotineriver.com/ . Unbeatable prices from what I can see, 60ml FA for $8.49 AUD, 60ml or TFA between $5.88 to $7.84, 60ml CAP $9.80 60ml FW $7.19. They are literally the best prices on the net. I use a coupon code ELR for a further 10% off so very cheap for flavourings.

1L of VG kosher USP stuff $11.75 & 500ml of kosher PG $7.83 I decided to get these two products from the same place as difference in shipping was minor about $10 or $15 bucks.

All up with what I want to get flavourings and the PG VG cost is $320 shipped, which is a lot less than I paid for my last order of juice which was about $450ish which has lasted about 3 months (hence the move to DIY)

A couple of questions.

With the flavours is it best to store them in the fridge, if not what are the best storage solutions for greater shelf life.

What about storing the VG & PG? Should I be breaking this down into smaller batches?

I've decided to mix by weight seems the more logical, precise and cleaner option. Anyone got a link to a good gram scale?

What about Nic, I'm looking @100mg strength I feel I'm responsible enough to handle this and don't have any pets or children to worry about. I see Hiliq his well regarded here any other brands people here using? I've heard good things about these two companys. liquidbarn or https://www.liquidbarn.com/

I know there is a nicotine sub here but might be easier to keep it in this topic for anyone that may read this in the future.

How about bottles? Glass dripper bottles, plastic dripper bottles unicorns ofr when im running around etc. Would be looking at 15ml, 30ml, and for the mixes I like 120ml. Any links to bottle suppliers that you're currently using?

What labware do you think I may need? I'm thinking maybe just a couple of syringes and blunt needle tips of the nicotine,a funnel, Erlenmeyer Flask or/and beaker type glass, gloves and googles too not taking any chances with the nic.. I was looking at kits but there's stuff I wouldn't use so I would rather just get individual things of equipment I would actually use. Any links to suppliers where you guys get things like this?

I think that's about it at the moment

I know there's a lot here but would be grateful for your input. I would like to pull the trigger on most of this tonight if possible cause the dollar is the best i've seen it for a long time.

AVF Regular
    Hey mate, great to hear you are on the DIY train! Tis great fun, just don't get frustrated and chuck a hissy fit and give up for a few weeks like I do!
    I can't help much with the measuring equipment as I still operate the 'heathens way', measuring by syringe.
    I can however recommend Hiliq's nicotine, I've been using it for my last few brews and it is great stuff. Seems to pop in about 50% more throat hit than others at first, but mellows out after a day or two of steeping.
    For bottles, I just use their 30ml plastic ones that have the option of a label (I don't bother with a label, sharpie works for me). They aren't super squeezy, but once you've used them a bit they soften up. The neddle nose on them is enough to get in to my goblin, but I wouldn't put anything more VG heavy than 70% in there as it doesn't exactly leap out of the tip.
    Storing PG/VG, I tend to just keep them tucked away in a fridge, in their plastic bottles. If the bottles are solid (non-translucent) then you are all good. If they are clear bottles, it might do to put them in a box or something to keep light away.
    In terms of Nic storage, there is heaps of different info on the net, but I've gone with:
    * Buy up to a years worth, any more and you risk having some go bad.
    * Buy 100 mg/ml in 100% PG for the best shelf life
    * Store in glass bottles, wrapped in something to protect against light and just in case it leaks.
    * If you can, separate into separate bottles, one for the fridge for use in mixing and one in the freezer for storage.
    I've found Hiliq's $9.99 100ml bottles of 100mg/ml nic to be really handy, they come in a clear plastic bottle, which lets you get a good look at the nic, and they are in individual little boxes. I buy 2, pop one in the freezer and one in the fridge and I'm set. I know it's not glass, but in smaller quantities I don't think it's too much of an issue.
    Bear in mind all of this is just personal opinion based on experience, I'm no chemist so I could be completely wrong, but it works for me

PS: Cheers for the link to nicotineriver, I'll be checking that one out shortly :P
    Peace, YNWA
    Benj

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' - Bill Shankly

AVF Regular
    My 2c worth

I have no opinion on the vendors

I keep my concentrates in a cool dark cupboard. Same with my PG & VG just on your order I don't know what your daily miss usage is but 1.5ltrs of PG/VG will not go far when you are starting out lots of wastage as you get to a vapeable recipe.

I use a jewellery scale for powders and I would look to eBay for vendors.

New directions, eBay, packmyproduct for bottles.

eBay for scientific glass I bought mine from my compounding chemist a while ago.
    jenny likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

CMB
    AVF Regular
    The only thing I would suggest is you may be better off buying more 10ml bottles than fewer 60ml bottles. DIY can be more hit and miss than buying premade juice, so you want a good variety of concentrates to work with. Which ever way you go, you will end up with a pile of concentrates you will use once and then never again.

Bull City Vapor isn't bad if you want to buy from the US. Huge range and good pricing, some of the local vendors are carrying better ranges now as well.
    Sol y Sombra likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the quick replies guys appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
    Hey mate, great to hear you are on the DIY train! Tis great fun, just don't get frustrated and chuck a hissy fit and give up for a few weeks like I do!
    I can't help much with the measuring equipment as I still operate the 'heathens way', measuring by syringe.
    I can however recommend Hiliq's nicotine, I've been using it for my last few brews and it is great stuff. Seems to pop in about 50% more throat hit than others at first, but mellows out after a day or two of steeping.
    For bottles, I just use their 30ml plastic ones that have the option of a label (I don't bother with a label, sharpie works for me). They aren't super squeezy, but once you've used them a bit they soften up. The neddle nose on them is enough to get in to my goblin, but I wouldn't put anything more VG heavy than 70% in there as it doesn't exactly leap out of the tip.
    Storing PG/VG, I tend to just keep them tucked away in a fridge, in their plastic bottles. If the bottles are solid (non-translucent) then you are all good. If they are clear bottles, it might do to put them in a box or something to keep light away.
    In terms of Nic storage, there is heaps of different info on the net, but I've gone with:
    * Buy up to a years worth, any more and you risk having some go bad.
    * Buy 100 mg/ml in 100% PG for the best shelf life
    * Store in glass bottles, wrapped in something to protect against light and just in case it leaks.
    * If you can, separate into separate bottles, one for the fridge for use in mixing and one in the freezer for storage.
    I've found Hiliq's $9.99 100ml bottles of 100mg/ml nic to be really handy, they come in a clear plastic bottle, which lets you get a good look at the nic, and they are in individual little boxes. I buy 2, pop one in the freezer and one in the fridge and I'm set. I know it's not glass, but in smaller quantities I don't think it's too much of an issue.
    Bear in mind all of this is just personal opinion based on experience, I'm no chemist so I could be completely wrong, but it works for me

PS: Cheers for the link to nicotineriver, I'll be checking that one out shortly :P
    You're welcome I was just about to pull the trigger at DIY gremlin and found NR and when I saw the prices I immediately removed most of my cart at Grem. I'm still going to get a couple of things from Grem like INW and a couple of flavours that NR have out of stock!

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get 1L at a time for nic? I usually vape @6mg sometimes 3mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    My 2c worth

I have no opinion on the vendors

I keep my concentrates in a cool dark cupboard. Same with my PG & VG just on your order I don't know what your daily miss usage is but 1.5ltrs of PG/VG will not go far when you are starting out lots of wastage as you get to a vapeable recipe.

I use a jewellery scale for powders and I would look to eBay for vendors.

New directions, eBay, packmyproduct for bottles.

eBay for scientific glass I bought mine from my compounding chemist a while ago.
    Thanks XX! So what amounts of PG & VG do you think I should get? I usually vape between 5 to 10 ml a day roughly depends on the day but never more than 10ml, most times it would be closer to 5ml. Where do you get your VG & PG from? I would guess that it's pharma grade right not food grade?

I like my mixes about 70/30. I don't need to blow clouds, that's where the birds live!
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers&Mash View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys appreciate it

You're welcome I was just about to pull the trigger at DIY gremlin and found NR and when I saw the prices I immediately removed most of my cart at Grem. I'm still going to get a couple of things from Grem like INW and a couple of flavours that NR have out of stock!

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get 1L at a time for nic? I usually vape @6mg sometimes 3mg.

Thanks XX! So what amounts of PG & VG do you think I should get? I usually vape between 5 to 10 ml a day roughly depends on the day but never more than 10ml, most times it would be closer to 5ml. Where do you get your VG & PG from? I would guess that it's pharma grade right not food grade?

I like my mixes about 70/30. I don't need to blow clouds, that's where the birds live!

I get my PG & VG locally from either VK or Aussie ecig. It depends on what I am ordering and normally use it to fill an order weight.

10mils a day is a approx 4lts a year in vapeable eliquid.

I easily tossed 500mil in the first six month of mixing. If you are using a developed recipe that you know them wastage is smaller. The way I do it is to mix up the individual flavours and learn what they being to a recipe. It sounds messy and long winded but you save in the long run by learning how to tweak your recipes. I also mixed without nic to get an understanding of what the flavours did. I only added nic when I was reasonably happy with the recipe. Remember nic has a taste of its own and can add or ruin a recipe.

It also depends on what you want to achieve. If it's just a few different vapeable eliquids you can be happy with or to get into DIY for a large range.

I always suggest an inbetween step of buying concentrates of already tried and tested recipes. Places like t-juice, pink spot, decadent vapours, hangsen Imix. These concentrates have all the depth of the premixed eliquid without the expense. I still vape one of them today 4.5 years later and it cost 12-19c mil. Depending on shipping.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 31-03-16 at 06:35 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    The only thing I would suggest is you may be better off buying more 10ml bottles than fewer 60ml bottles. DIY can be more hit and miss than buying premade juice, so you want a good variety of concentrates to work with. Which ever way you go, you will end up with a pile of concentrates you will use once and then never again.

Bull City Vapor isn't bad if you want to buy from the US. Huge range and good pricing, some of the local vendors are carrying better ranges now as well.
    The place I'm looking to buy the concentrates for start at 60ml bottles and thats double the amount of any other place for the same price. So for me its worth it. What I don't end up liking or using I'll just pass on to someone here who wants it.

I looked at the local vendors but man if I put in the same order here for what I'm getting from the US I would be more than double the cost I get a 60ml bottle of concentrate for less than the cost of a 30ml from a local. As much as I would love to support the local vendors the price difference is just too significant . I'm only going the 60Ml version cause the simple fact is that there's very little difference in cost between the 30ml with other US suppliers and 60ml is the smallest size NR sell

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I get my PG & VG locally from either VK or Aussie ecig. It depends on what I am ordering and normally use it to fill an order weight.

10mils a day is a approx 4lts a year in vapeable eliquid.

I easily tossed 500mil in the first six month of mixing. If you are using a developed recipe that you know them wastage is smaller. The way I do it is to mix up the individual flavours and learn what they being to a recipe. It sounds messy and long winded but you save in the long run by learning how to tweak your recipes. I also mixed without nic to get an understanding of what the flavours did. I only added nic when I was reasonably happy with the recipe. Remember nic has a taste of its own and can add or ruin a recipe.

It also depends on what you want to achieve. If it's just a few different vapeable eliquids you can be happy with or to get into DIY for a large range.

I always suggest an inbetween step of buying concentrates of already tried and tested recipes. Places like t-juice, pink spot, decadent vapours, hangsen Imix. These concentrates have all the depth of the premixed eliquid without the expense. I still vape one of them today 4.5 years later and it cost 12-19c mil. Depending on shipping.
    Are you saying I should buy 1 years supply upfront of VG/PG? There's a few recipes that have massive followings that fit my flavour profile. I'll start with them so I've got vapeable juice then get into my own mixes. I like a few of the flavour profiles from DIY or DIE, fizzmustard, HIC from vapingunderground

I'll probably still end up buying some premiums here and there that I like but I would really like to make my own juice, that I like regardless of what other might think of it.

What mixing containers would I need like beakers etc and sizes?

AVF Regular
    No I was just saying that ultimately you need that much per year. Some recipes need steeping so you will have some shake and vape, some on a shelf that won't be vapeable for a month some even longer.

If you already have the recipe that you like then just get enough to make it but if you are developing recipes working out the individual percentage that taste good can waste a lot.

The equipment I have

Syringe 1ml 5ml
    Measuring cylinders,
    Bottles. I use the cheaper Fasttech bottles as bulky packaging (cheaper than a box) then I use for mixing and tasting.

Most of my recipes use the same concentrate types (menthols and mints)so it's easier when you know your flavour profiles
    Last edited by Crisscross; 31-03-16 at 07:02 PM.

AVF Regular
    That's kind of why I suggested the smaller ones, but I'm not 100% DIY, I buy some stuff ready made, just to try them out, maybe see what my own mixes are lacking. I bought a 1L bottle of nic when I started out and that lasted me a year, as I was buying premium juices from a few places, getting pif'd some as well. I had to pour around 300ml of it down the sink as I left it in the garage instead of the freezer for a month or so, and it had gone thick and brown. Super gross.
    Peace, YNWA
    Benj

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' - Bill Shankly

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast