Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Caramel cake recipe

AVF Regular

Caramel cake recipe

Hey everyone,
    Thought I would share one of the first diy juices that I made.
    Recipe is my own, just kind of went a bit of this and a bit of that.
    Tastes pretty good to me!

Specs:
    Total volume = 10ml
    Flavour percentage = 20% (approx)
    PG/VG ratio = 30:70
    Nic level = 5mg

Ingredients:
    1ml yellow cake (TFA)
    0.2ml caramel candy (flavour west)
    0.2ml hazelnut (TFA)
    10 drops vanilla custard (TFA)
    5 drops marshmallow (TFA)
    5 drops Bavarian cream (TFA)

Recommended steep time 2 weeks.
    If anyone is keen to give this a crack and let me know what they think?

Next time I will likely put in more hazelnut and caramel but it's definitely vapable in my books!

AVF Regular
    Putting up recipes in a standardized manner is generally a easier way to get others to try it.
    Eg:
    10% yellow cake
    Blah
    Blah
    Blah

Droppers have different sizes for example, might not make any difference but makes it easier to read in my opinion.
    Looks like i decent recipe but 20% flavouring is way too much for me. Id probably half that and drop the bav cream.
    I use flavour west yellow cake at roughly 3-4% in most recipes. Maybe its stronger than tfa, never tried it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Money spent Vaping: Who cares, I'll live long enough to earn more!

AVF Regular
    Thanks for that.
    I approached the recipe like a cooking recipe I guess using ml's
    I'll see if i can figure out how to use a calculator and put up percentages.
    I'll agree 20% is high but i like a good kick of flavor.

AVF Regular
    Wouldn't worry about 20% Walker, if it's too high for some then all they need to do is drop the % ratio to what they prefer. Not the first time I've done that with a recipe that called for 30% or more percentage.
    I usually mix up 18 - 25% because like you I like a good kick of flavour, not into "subtle" tasting juices. Every ones different. It could be that my taste buds are stuffed because of smoking or just the way my sense of taste is.

I'm also wondering if peoples preferences for lower percentages are because of the sub ohm culture ? and all of a sudden these subtle or low percentage juices are tasting spot on with sub ohm ?? Has anyone out there tried their favourite juice at e.g 1.6 ohm and then tried the same juice at 0.5 ohm or below ?? I don't have the gear to try this but would love to know the changes or differences. Might or might not explain a lot in peoples % preferences.

Another aspect is the rise of the super concentrates. I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed that with some vendors (who are obviously using SC in their doublers) the flavour is good for a short time after steep time but (for my sense of taste) after that the flavour tends to start muting off over time, one of the reasons I never order large doublers. So I'm wondering if this also ties in with my question about the sub ohm or whether it's just crappy quality super concentrates.
    Cheers
    Sodd
    Last edited by The Sodd; 16-04-16 at 12:18 PM.

AVF Regular
    Thats a good point sodd about the different resistances. When i first started i was vaping around 1.5 and i was using 15-20% flavourings in my mixes so you could have a point with the sub ohm.
    The other thing i find i vape a lot through out the day and if im vaping something with too much flavourings or sweetener I get a gross mouth feel after half a day and start getting vapours tongue by the end of the day. Where as a subtle flavouring will hold the flavour through out the day/days without me having to switch to a different juice to get the tongue working again.
    I don't like super concentrates but when i have to i dilute them to a 10% solution to make it easier for me to mix.

The Sodd likes this.

AVF Regular
    Got to agree with you D3AB, I'm not a fan of super concentrates and wherever possible I try to avoid them but sometimes because of availability of normal concentrates you got to make use of them. Great tip about diluting the SC's, must admit I've never thought of trying that.

So I'm presuming that you sub ohm now ? If so, what are you normally at and do you think it boosts the flavour of subtle juices or juices that would be considered subtle above the ohm mark ?
    Just trying to get a handle on whether my train of thought is heading in the right direction.
    Cheers
    Sodd
    Stomp likes this.

AVF Regular
    I switched to sub ohm some time ago with my innokin idub apex they were .5 now i use rda and build at .3 - .5
    Not the most skilled builder so flavor isn't as great as I'd like. The 20% ratio suits me
    The Sodd likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sodd View Post
    Got to agree with you D3AB, I'm not a fan of super concentrates and wherever possible I try to avoid them but sometimes because of availability of normal concentrates you got to make use of them. Great tip about diluting the SC's, must admit I've never thought of trying that.

So I'm presuming that you sub ohm now ? If so, what are you normally at and do you think it boosts the flavour of subtle juices or juices that would be considered subtle above the ohm mark ?
    Just trying to get a handle on whether my train of thought is heading in the right direction.
    Cheers
    Sodd
    Im a firm believer that vendors, particularly newer ones have dedicated there ( light ) flavor profiles to sub ohming. Good for them I guess as less product but for an average joe it takes ages to develop any flavor, if it develops at all. Its changed drastically over the yrs
    The Sodd likes this.

AVF Regular
    It could be a unintended coincidence of sub ohm for sure. Win win for vendors because they can use less concentrates in juices. But i know for sure if the % are jacked and loaded with sweetener i get kanker sores on my tongue and that shit isn't fun. But if i was vaping a ego with mouth to lung i probably wouldn't have that problem.
    I normally vape a duel micro coil at .3-.5. And depending on what wattage i pump through i get different layers from some juices come through better than others. I really like how some vendors put the time into recommending wattage for a juice it shows they spent some time developing them.

The Sodd likes this.

AVF Regular
    Walker, sorry if I've hijacked your thread a little bit mate, but it was great to get first hand experience from you, D3AB and Stomp and I thank you all for your input.
    Stomp, glad I'm not imagining things and you've noticed the change over time too
    The three of you have reinforced my train of thought in relation to a lot juices becoming more subtle in flavour.

As mentioned earlier, not having sub ohm gear I haven't tried it, so a couple of last questions ..... getting down to .3-.5 is it a very hot vape ? My typical toke is about 5 seconds or so, do you have to have shorter ones ?
    Cheers
    Sodd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast