Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New DIY'er, value your opinions

AVF Regular

New DIY'er, value your opinions

Howdy folks, fairly new to vape, first DIY juice.
    My first juices were from Mt Baker, Forrestberry fusion and Extreme Ice were the two that I liked, not so much individually.
    The berry is far too strong and a tad too sweet, and the Extreme Ice was lovely but I felt it needed something else.
    I found approx 1/3 Ice and 2/3 berry was close but still not quite ideal for my taste buds.

So I took advantage of the Hiliq buy1get1 offer I put in an order hoping to create something similar.
    Ive got Raspberry,Strawberry,Blueberry,Watermelon,Grape and Green Tea conc. flavours along with Cooling agent and sweetener on the way.
    Looking at a few recipes online, I'm planning to start at the following percentages...
    Strawberry 5.0%
    Watermelon 3.0%
    Raspberry 2.0%
    Blueberry 0.5%
    Cooler 1.0%
    Menthol 4.0% (This is MBK ready to vape juice, not flavour. Should be mild at this rate?)
    Nic 2.4%, PG 40%, VG 60%

I dont like the MBK menthol by itself, so though I could use it for a slight minty addition here.
    I'd really appreciate your opinions folks, just to find a starting point.
    I realise its mostly trial and error, and every companies flavours are different but if you can spot any rookie mistakes I'd love to hear about it.
    RyanohRyan likes this.

AVF Regular
    Use a total of 10% concentrates with Hiliq ones. I find that plenty though you may need to adjust to your liking.

Go easy on the Blueberry as well, it is very strong in the above go 0.2% of blueberry or it may be all you can taste.

I don't use cooler but believe they are quite strong as well, 1% might be too much.

You can always add more concentrate if needed, but removing it isn't so easy. One of my first mixes was blueberry cheesecake, 2% blueberry 8% cheesecake. Well the blueberry blew me away with how strong. Mixed another juice with 10% cheesecake and mixed the 2 to give 1% blueberry, and still overpowering.
    RyanohRyan likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ywfbi View Post
    I dont like the MBK menthol by itself, so though I could use it for a slight minty addition here.
    I'd really appreciate your opinions folks, just to find a starting point.
    I realise its mostly trial and error, and every companies flavours are different but if you can spot any rookie mistakes I'd love to hear about it.
    Just a few thoughts.

Menthol concentrate is usually 10% menthol, and a RTV (Ready to Vape) liquid may be 2% to 5% of that added to it. If you want to use that to add menthol to your DIY you'll probably need to use a lot of it. You can buy menthol crystals and dissolve them in PG to give you a 10% w/v solution (10g crystals in 90ml PG) It's very cheap, and then if you buy the crystals from Aussie Ecigs the concentrate costs you almost nothing.

If you want an "ecto cooler" type cooler, then you might need to go higher than 1% with the cooler.

Buying 24mg/ml is almost what a lot of people vape with. You will be able to mix to 12mg/ml OK, but it's not suitable for mixing with RTV liquids purchased locally. It will do doublers though, but you will have no ability to further tweak the PG/VG mix. It's also much more economical to buy 100mg/ml nicotine in PG and mix it down - this will even work OK with the RTV liquids.

You're probably on the right track with the Blueberry concentrate by the sound of it, but for most of the other flavours you should do a test before you mix them. Start off low - mix a couple of ml at 2% and vape that. Go up or down from there until you get the exact effect you are looking for and understand the flavour. You'll get a much better idea how to work with the flavours if you do this. Buy more syringes if that is what you will be using - 1ml syringes are great for measuring the small amounts for the testing. Do it accurately otherwise the tests don't mean much.

Don't try to do all of your testing at once. Your taste buds will just go on holiday and you won't be able to taste anything, or you could put yourself right off some of the flavours you might otherwise enjoy. A common mistake is make flavours too strong not realising that you can't then taste them properly, then get completely turned off those flavours - permanently. It's better to try a little and write down your first impressions, then leave it for a bit and come back to it later before you make any decisions. Oh, and drink plenty of water - testing is hard work.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 05-07-16 at 06:21 PM.
    laurie9300 likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    ...Go easy on the Blueberry as well...You can always add more concentrate if needed, but removing it isn't so easy...
    Thanks Cams, I'll take your advice there. I was looking for a very subtle blueberry hidden away that I had to think about to realise it was there.
    And I guess a tad extra of the minor flavours can be added without altering the ratios much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    ...Menthol concentrate is usually 10% menthol, and a RTV (Ready to Vape) liquid may be 2% to 5% of that...you'll probably need to use a lot of it..
    ..you might need to go higher than 1% with the cooler.
    Gotcha fabricator4, hey I'd be happy to just use the menthol up. After that crystals as recommended, at least then I can increase the VG.
    I'm not familiar with "ecto cooler", but do like the cool feel of extreme ice so I'll definitely take that on board also..
    Glad to hear you recommend the 100mg nic and 1ml syringes, they're already on the way.

Start off low - mix a couple of ml at 2%.. ..A common mistake is make flavours too strong..
    ..Don't try to do all of your testing at once. Your taste buds will just go on holiday ...
    Great tips, thank you.

Sounds like I may need to get a RDA just for testing?
    I've already blown the budget on a Smok R-steam mini and nano tfv4 tank and many more $ of associated paraphernalia.
    Any recommendations?

Why does vapemail take just forever to arrive? I ordered yesterday, why isn't it here yet?!?!
    I'm not short on juice, it's just that [music] I'm so excited, and I just cant hide it [/music]

AVF Regular
    Sounds like I may need to get a RDA just for testing?
    I've already blown the budget on a Smok R-steam mini and nano tfv4 tank and many more $ of associated paraphernalia.
    Any recommendations?
    Yes an RDA is very useful for testing. I'm just using a production clone: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2656800

I'm liking the look of some of the Wismec RDAs though, thinking of trying some.

Why does vapemail take just forever to arrive? I ordered yesterday, why isn't it here yet?!?!
    I'm not short on juice, it's just that [music] I'm so excited, and I just cant hide it [/music]
    IKR. The amount of time vapemail takes is exponentially proportional to how badly you want it.

I once ordered a new clearomiser from Fasttech because I already had one and needed a spare, but by the time it turned up I'd already found something I liked better. It's still sitting in a cupboard unopened.

Edit: Wismec Indestructable: http://www.wismec.com/product/indestructible/
    I think I like the top down airflow, but I don't really like the Wismec posts. If there was something like this with a velocity style build deck, deep well, and didn't cost an arm and a leg...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-07-16 at 02:32 AM.

AVF Regular
    If subtle blueberry is what you want maybe make it 0.1%. Potent is the Hiliq Blueberry.
    RyanohRyan likes this.

AVF Regular
    ...I don't really like the Wismec posts.
    I've spent hours looking through fasttech now, I thought the same about alot of the RDA's posts.
    Ordered https://www.fasttech.com/products/5021000 looks to be what I want, and cheap enough if I've got it wrong I can live with it.
    Got some wire and wick too so should be able to wrap something up that'll do the job with steam engines help.

Sounds like a great start Cams, in fact after playing with RTV's more today I'm gunna start the strawberry lower too.
    Reckon I'll half all flavours %ages for a first go and trial mix 2ml juice at a time for my new RDA.
    To do that I'll dilute all flavours in VG (maybe 10-50ml worth each) so I can accurately measure them.
    Blueberry 5% in VG, other flavours 40%, and cooler 20%, wont be super accurate but manageable with a 1ml syringe.
    The menthol RTV makes it a bit hard, but with the %ages fabricator4 gave me above will make it much easier to ball park when I get the crystals.

Thanks for your comments, I'm sure you've both saved me from wasting weeks making ass juice!!

AVF Regular
    This is from Hiliq's page.

"Most of the flavor usage are 8%-15%, depending on Flavor intensity preference. Don’t use the concentrate in excess for your own safety and to avoid inappropriate over taste. Please put under 6%-15% flavor concentrate if you need more flavors mixtures"

Personally, I would start at 10% and go from there.

I'm still learning myself mostly with Flavour West concentrates atm. I can get by using Jungle Juice at 5%, but when I mixed other concentrates of theirs at 5% I tasted nothing, even thought my tanks or coils were bad. (had me very confused) After hours of research online I mix their concentrates at 15% now and have been happy, I write notes down to consider for next time. So, If Hiliq say between 8% - 15% go with 10% and see how you feel.

Less is always better, you'll get more batches and less overpowering.
    fabricator4 and RyanohRyan like this.

AVF Regular
    I've spent hours looking through fasttech now, I thought the same about alot of the RDA's posts.
    Ordered https://www.fasttech.com/products/5021000 looks to be what I want, and cheap enough if I've got it wrong I can live with it.
    Got some wire and wick too so should be able to wrap something up that'll do the job with steam engines help.
    Yeah looks pretty good with the airflow options, but I think the bottom airflow might be the go for testing flavours. The top airflow is not directed downwards so strictly for direct lung cloud chasing. Let us know how you go with it.

Just for reference, here's the real deal Underground RDA by MCM mods Philippines - The Serial Vapist I'm guessing the price is probably US$
    Last edited by fabricator4; 07-07-16 at 12:50 AM.
    eLicky likes this.

AVF Regular
    Also, you don't have to mix multiple flavours to make a nice juice that has undertones of this and that. A simple 2 flavour juice can be awesome, you get exactly those flavours and don't have the risk of adding too much undertone. Most of what I make has a base and a fruit. 4 flavours is the max I have used so far in any one juice. A nice juice doesn't need to be complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast